Author Topic: Thanks for the warning!  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Thanks for the warning!
« on: December 12, 2007, 08:35:58 AM »
Looked at the text of one of my emails today and found the following:
Saluton,

Virus found in this message, please delete it without futher reading
Of course, had the message actually been open in Entourage or whatever Windows use to read email, the damage would have already been done. wallbash.gif But, I assume the 'sender' has had some legal training and is just protecting himself from frivolous law suits! laugh.gif Nor does this mean that Mac users would be completely immune to abuse. While I saw no html image download calls, a Mac user would not have known that before opening the message in Mail.

So, one more time, turn html rendering in your email program OFF. If that can't be done, use a reader that does not use images/html for previewing any suspected message before downloading it in Mail. Finally, use a good SPAM catching program to send that stuff to it's appropriately odor reducing container! smile.gif

"Saluton!" laugh.gif

later...
SPAMsieve didn't recognize anything 'fishy' about that message. But I didn't see it in any of my other mailboxes. The usual "unread messages" marker didn't appear in any of their names. dntknw.gif Finally did a search for "Saluton" and found it. That's when I noticed that the date was as fake as the rest of the message. It claimed to be sent 11/14/07. Since I keep the mailboxes sorted by date, it was well above what displayed in any list. Found it, selected it, command-j applied and SPAMsieve should dump similar ones to the Junk box...so much effort from some for no good purpose. dntknw.gif wallbash.gif
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 09:31:12 AM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes: