Author Topic: Self-tuning guitar  (Read 4609 times)

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Self-tuning guitar
« on: December 16, 2007, 12:21:18 AM »
I'll bet a few TSers would like this. smile.gif

http://www.technologyreview.com/Wire/19807/?nlid=716

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://sonofabeach-beacher.blogspot.com/
Self-tuning guitar
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2007, 01:12:41 PM »
I had heard about this a couple of months ago, Kris, but had to laugh at the idea of a beginner shelling out $2,500 jawdrop.gif  for a guitar!  Yeah, tuning can be problematic for newbies, but. . . I always tell the "kids" that if they rely on electronic tuners, that they're setting themselves up for a REAL embarrassment later on, when either the battery dies, or they drop it, some night when they're going to be playing in front of people (Murphy's Law!), and they can't tune their guitar.  I saw Jackson Browne fight with his guitar for about 5 minutes at a concert at The Paramont one night, and felt bad for him when someone from back in "peanut heaven" yelled, "Hey Jackson, ya want ME to tune it for you?"  Lotsa laughter, and my sorrow for him went away as soon as I realized how much he was going to make that night!  Musta just been an "off" night, and everyone has those, although most don't want to talk about them!

Offline chriskleeman

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chriskleeman.com
Self-tuning guitar
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2007, 02:13:12 PM »
Off night??? Surely you must be kidding Beacher!!! LOL.gif

My 12-String can make me crazy sometimes... and my audiences too! I use a lot of open tunings, and each one has it's idiosyncrasies that can make it tough to tune at times.

Five minutes is a bit much... Jackson should be able to have a guitar tech to tune his guitars for him anyway at his level...

A friend of mine designed this guitar which actually tunes itself to pitch when it's re-assembled... still, it has to be tweaked into real tune...

There are times when having a self-tuning guitar would be nice, but... IAWY Beacher, that ear-training is one of the most important parts of playing any instrument! And a lot cheaper over the long haul...

Still, electronic tuners have a place on-stage, like tuning your electric guitar in silence rather than subjecting the audience to all the out-of-tune twangin'!!! rolleyes.gif

Still, I'll be looking in the music stores for one of those to try sometime Kris!

Chris K coolio.gif
Just a dumb guitar player...
My Website

Offline Mayo

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
Self-tuning guitar
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2007, 04:36:44 PM »
If I was pro musician and could not afford a guitar tech (since Browne has been doing mainly solo shows in recent years he probably doesn't travel with a guitar tech...) I would have at least two digital tuners with me Just In Case.  Heck, for the added cost of one of those self-tuning guitars you can have ten or more digital tuners!  And having more than one guitar on-hand with different tunings isn't unheard of either...

Some folks are just Tuning Impaired, Period and they will never be able to tune a guitar by ear, even if their lives depended on it... Being able to use a digital tuner puts the fun back into playing, which is what it should be all about, at least for amateurs. And if you want to experiment with open and more exotic tunings a digital tuner is a Gawd Send.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2007, 04:37:43 PM by Mayo »

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Self-tuning guitar
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2007, 09:19:37 PM »
Ohh, I really like those chrysalis guitars. yes.gif

Brings meaning to the term "air guitar".  toothgrin.gif

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Self-tuning guitar
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 03:33:01 PM »
Beacher, since you're not a beginner, perhaps you would be interested in this Taylor model (GS8e), marked down for quick sale at Sweetwater.com...oops, they don't have the current issue on-line yet. Anyway, the GS8e is 'normally' $3560 but you can grab it right now for only $2499.97 (shipping included), tuning is manual, however! tongue.gif I'm sure there are more expensive guitars out there but I'm fond of Taylor since I won one a few years ago! Too bad I have never learned how to play it! blush-anim-cl.gif
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline chriskleeman

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chriskleeman.com
Self-tuning guitar
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 07:13:33 PM »
QUOTE(Xairbusdriver @ Dec 17 2007, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Beacher, since you're not a beginner, perhaps you would be interested in this Taylor model (GS8e), marked down for quick sale at Sweetwater.com...oops, they don't have the current issue on-line yet. Anyway, the GS8e is 'normally' $3560 but you can grab it right now for only $2499.97 (shipping included), tuning is manual, however! tongue.gif I'm sure there are more expensive guitars out there but I'm fond of Taylor since I won one a few years ago! Too bad I have never learned how to play it! blush-anim-cl.gif

XABD, there is only one acoustic guitar for me:

Froggy Bottom Guitars

Twice the price of a Taylor, and worth it!!! IMO...

And, yes, the tuning is still manual...  toothgrin.gif

CK thumbup.gif
Just a dumb guitar player...
My Website

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Self-tuning guitar
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 08:54:20 PM »
With my guitar skills, (ie;None) I'd need more than a self tuning model! It would have to be a self-playing one! No matter what the cost! eek2.gif
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://sonofabeach-beacher.blogspot.com/
Self-tuning guitar
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2007, 12:32:35 PM »
Well guys, IF I was looking for a new steel string acoustic, and I had 10 yrs. to wait, although both Taylor's and Froggy Bottoms are nice, I'd probably look at a guitar by Wayne Henderson (check out the book, "Clapton's Guitar; watching Wayne Henderson build the perfect instrument" by Allen St. John.  I had the joy of meeting Wayne, a quiet, funny gentlemen from West Va., that teaches at various seminars around the nation, plays concerts, and runs his own music festival at home, where, each year, he awards one of his guitars to the winner of a red hot competition.  Clapton played one of his guitars at a recording session in NY, and offered $100,000 to the studio, who would not part with it.  Long story short, he sent one of his roadies to talk to Wayne, who, since he was into bluegrass had only recently (hard as that is to believe) become aware of who Eric was, told him that he'd be happy to put him on the waiting list.  The roadie asked how much it would cost to move him to the head of the list, to which Wayne replied, "Not possible; that wouldn't be fair to the people already waiting!"  Amazing!  So, Eric got in line. .  .  The book is a quick read, and the story of an amazing craftsman.  BTW, at Wintergrass (trade show/music show) last year, while walking around with Wayne, one of the high end custom guitar builders (EVERYBODY seemed to know him!) asked him to try out one of his guitars, and I literally sat at the guy's feet, with my head about 2' from the soundhole (because the room was exceedingly noisy!), and for about 40 minutes, was absolutely blown away by the guy's ability!  I'd almost give my left leg to be able to play like that!  Fast, clean, espressive. . . He has it all!  Has out 2 or 3 albums, and some of the owners of his guitars are: Eric Clapton, Doc Watson, Gillian Welch, Peter Rowan.  Go ahead and google him, or:
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home_journ...ng/1772261.html