Author Topic: Sending photos with Mail to Windows users  (Read 7081 times)

Offline dplank

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
Sending photos with Mail to Windows users
« on: June 10, 2008, 12:23:23 PM »
Some of my Windows user friends can't seem to open photos sent as jpegs as prepared by iPhoto. I have also tried to send them as attachments without success. Is it me or the Windows user? Thinking.gif

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2008, 12:43:52 PM »
AOL users by any chance? AOL is notorious for chewing up and spitting out attachments.

Couple of things to try:

1. Make SURE you've got Mail set to "Send Windows-friendly Attachments" - it's a checkbox at the bottom of the attachment window (when you select the attachment) You may not be able to select this if you go via iPhoto - not sure as I haven't tried it. If that's the case, use Mail, not iPhoto to generate the email.
2. Zip (archive) the photos in a folder - AOL for instance apparently doesn't like multiple attachments.
3. Make sure the photos have .jpg file names - Windows doesn't have a clue what to do with files without extensions.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2008, 01:07:22 PM »
I read the Help pages about this problem a few weeks ago and it seems there is one more thing you can do. For some reason, the Help page says to make sure to check the "Always Insert Attachments at End of Message" setting (Edit->Attachments). dntknw.gif HTH
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline dplank

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 05:07:26 PM »
Thanks to both gentlemen who answered, but the problem still exists.  I tried all the suggestions that were made without success. There's just got to be a way to do this. Macs not being able to do anything Windows can do just seems wrong.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 05:40:35 PM »
1. What ISP are these folks using?
2. Paddy asked you earlier about AOL, is that what they use?
3. Are you sure they know where their program puts downloaded attachments/images?
4. What specific email program are they using?
5. What program are you using?

Would you try sending me one (tonight!)? But I'm leaving early Thursday and won't be back till Tuesday (June 17). At least that way we can be assured you're sending a suitable file. My email address is my screen name here (xairbusdriver) plus "@mac.com" I promise not to forward you too much SPAM. laugh.gif
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 05:41:00 PM by Xairbusdriver »

Offline hingyfan

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://members.aol.com/hingyfan
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 08:17:08 PM »
I find a lot of Windows users dont have the slightest idea what they're doing.
They dont know how to DL a photo (or anything else) and don't know where it goes when they do. The PCs don't know which program to use to open a file and neither do the users.
If the photo does not show up in their mail window, basically that's the end of the story.
Of course, i can't make a simple slideshow on my mac, so why do what I know.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 08:37:56 PM by hingyfan »

Offline tacit

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xeromag.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »
QUOTE(dplank @ Jun 12 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks to both gentlemen who answered, but the problem still exists.  I tried all the suggestions that were made without success. There's just got to be a way to do this. Macs not being able to do anything Windows can do just seems wrong.

We can not help you without more information.

Please describe step by step how you are attaching the photos. In particular, please tell us the exact file name of the photo you are attaching. Also, please let us know the domain of the person you are sending us to. We don't need to know the entire email address, but the part after the "@" is helpful.

Also, can you explain what problem the recipients are having? Do they see an error message? If so, what does the error message say? If you know it, can you tell us what email program they are using?
A whole lot about me: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Offline dplank

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 07:34:47 PM »
QUOTE(tacit @ Jun 15 2008, 12:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE(dplank @ Jun 12 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We can not help you without more information.

Please describe step by step how you are attaching the photos. In particular, please tell us the exact file name of the photo you are attaching. Also, please let us know the domain of the person you are sending us to. We don't need to know the entire email address, but the part after the "@" is helpful.

Also, can you explain what problem the recipients are having? Do they see an error message? If so, what does the error message say? If you know it, can you tell us what email program they are using?

Offline dplank

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 07:57:58 PM »
TS Addict:

1. I attach photos from iPhoto. I select the photo and click on the icon that says "Email". It opens Mail with the photos attached. I then either let them appear as full photos or "control-click" and select "as icon".

2. Scan-080527-0016-jpg (211 kb)

3. @bellsouth.net

4. They don't seem to get any error messages. They say they just click or double click and nothing happens.

5. One program is OutLook Express

Offline RobW

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2008, 08:53:42 PM »
... Scan-080527-0016-jpg (211 kb)

I imagine if that is the exact name of the file--using a dash and not a period before jpg that this would be a problem. Also, if the actual title includes "211 kb" as the end of the file name, then it does not end with a jpg extension as it needs to. Try renaming it as follows:

scan_080527_0016.jpg

Notice that I'm using an underscore instead of a dash and a period prior to jpg. I've also gotten rid of the "211 kb" at the end. (I'm not sure--and others will know--if using a "dash" - instead of an underscore  _ is allowed in the world of Windows. Thinking.gif
-Rob
A couple of IMacs, an iPad, a bunch of iPhones...two of which don’t live here, but I still pay for. Oh yeah, wife, daughters, and yes—a grandson!

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2008, 10:01:39 PM »
Windows does allow underscores in file names. For what is and what isn't allowed in Windows and Mac file names see: http://www.portfoliofaq.com/pfaq/FAQ00352.htm

However, I'd rename the files as something a little more descriptive and dump all punctuation for simplicity's sake. But don't forget the .jpg file extension - three letter file extensions are absolutely VITAL in the Windows world. smile.gif

BTW - how did you end up with file names with a -jpg anyway? It's not something any program I've come across would do...
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline tacit

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.xeromag.com/
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 01:54:10 PM »
QUOTE(RobW @ Jun 16 2008, 01:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
... Scan-080527-0016-jpg (211 kb)

I imagine if that is the exact name of the file--using a dash and not a period before jpg that this would be a problem. Also, if the actual title includes "211 kb" as the end of the file name, then it does not end with a jpg extension as it needs to. Try renaming it as follows:

scan_080527_0016.jpg

Bingo. That is exactly what's wrong. The name must end in a period and the letters "jpg"; it can not end in a dash and the letters "jpg".
A whole lot about me: www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

Offline dplank

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 10:12:46 PM »
I have tried to set up the photos the way you suggested. That is, by ending the the name in .jpg. The only problem is that I can't find a way to rename the photo. I can't get rid of the (112 mb) at the end of the name. Deleting or selecting to delete only succeeds in losing the entire file.

Of course I could not use iPhoto, however, the file then is too large to send more than one pic at a time and some with slower rates make it difficult for them to download.

Still stumped.

Offline ClayEM

• Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://mywebpages.comcast.net/claymat/index.html
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2008, 08:20:06 AM »
If you go to the User/Pictures/iPhoto Library folder and Right Click the folder and show folder contents, you can then migrate to the picture you want to use by opening the Data folder and selecting the picture. You can open the picture by double clicking and then Save As (Menu Bar/File)...I like to save to the desk top...It is then easy to manipulate and attach to an email.. The Data folder has pictures you can email as is...If you want larger versions, the Originals folder has the same pictures as the Data folder but in their original size and then you can handle them the same way.

Hope this helps,
Clay

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 09:04:24 AM »
The only problem is that I can't find a way to rename the photo. I can't get rid of the (112 mb) at the end of the name. Deleting or selecting to delete only succeeds in losing the entire file.
Assuming the file is in a Finder Window or on the Desktop, the easiest way to change a name is to click once to highlight the file, then press 'return.' The name should now become highlighted in a very small text box. You can now rename it to whatever you desire. There is not really any need to use the delete key, IMHO.

A great feature in Leopard, BTW, is that the OS does not highlight the extension/suffix of the name! So you don't have to retype it or move the cursor back, etc. Really saves time/keystrokes since one rarely should change the suffix.