Author Topic: OT:Rolling Stone Magazine 500 Greatest Albums  (Read 3443 times)

Offline kelly

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
OT:Rolling Stone Magazine 500 Greatest Albums
« on: February 01, 2004, 08:03:35 AM »
Those wacky guys are at it again. Feel free to disagree. smile.gif

http://rollingstone.com/features/coverstor...en.asp?pid=2164
kelly
Veteran SuperUser

Offline RobW

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2004, 08:22:51 AM »
Wow, hard to believe that In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida by Iron Butterfly didn't make the top 100!!!  jawdrop.gif  eusa_dance.gif
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 08:23:39 AM by RobW »
-Rob
A couple of IMacs, an iPad, a bunch of iPhones...two of which don’t live here, but I still pay for. Oh yeah, wife, daughters, and yes—a grandson!

Offline Gary S

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2004, 09:31:10 AM »
Well........Top 100 of all time?

Public Enemy, Nirvana? I don't think so. doh.gif
Gary S

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2004, 10:00:36 AM »
Interesting. It's almost complete lack of British Folk was pretty noticeable. Two albums by the wonderful Richard and Linda Thompson and that's about it? And where's XTC? Or the Stranglers? Or John Cale? Or Kate Bush? Well, obviously my top 500 wouldn't be the same as theirs!  

I currently own, or have owned 247 of those albums. Of the top 10, I currently own 8 - mostly because I haven't gotten around to replacing every LP I used to own with CD's. (I used to own about 1,300 LP's and several hundred 45's...once I got a CD player and CD's, I stopped playing the LP's and finally decided that this was ridiculous to keep storing LP's I hadn't played in 3 years. I sold the entire collection to a collector in Portland, OR about 10 years ago. I still have the list though... wink.gif )

Of course, there's also stuff on that list of 500 that I used to own and wouldn't be caught dead with now...Cheap Trick? I don't think so...(seeing them live in Halifax in 1979 cured me of them for good - they were the most arrogant bunch of twits that ever graced a stage).

Gary, I'll take Nirvana over Eminem any day! tongue.gif
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 10:07:47 AM by Paddy »
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Gary S

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2004, 02:50:59 PM »
Paddy,

Gary, I'll take Nirvana over Eminem any day!

So will I. smile.gif

I like every kind of music except Rap and Opera.

I've got a problem with Deja Vu coming in at 148 behind some .....well lets just say I disagree with the list.  tongue.gif  tongue.gif

I think they took their time one the first 2.
 wink.gif
Gary S

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://sonofabeach-beacher.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2004, 03:35:43 PM »
Well, shoot; you beat me, Paddy!  I only had 172 of them. . . verysad.gif

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2004, 04:38:04 PM »
I'll listen to just about anything (including opera) but I can't stand MOR pap. Christina Aguilera and (shudder) Celine Dion....and their predecessors, Barry Marshmallow...and the Oblivion Newtron Bomb (can ya tell I worked part-time in a trendy record store for 5 years? wink.gif ) Not fond of rap, because I find much of it incredibly boring and misogynistic.

For more fun:

Rolling Stone's 50 Uncoolest records ever! (I will admit to currently owning one of these, and formerly owning about 5 more...) biggrin.gif

Maxim's list of the 30 worst albums ever (One of which I believe is also on RS' best 500 list...)

Or The worst album covers ever (and you can follow the link at the bottom of the page to "the worster album covers ever II") - definitely not for those easily offended. And no, I've never owned any of these ones!!
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Mayo

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2004, 04:59:35 PM »
The Grateful Dead don't show up until #244 and it's for "Live Dead?"  Hey, that may be my fav Dead live recording but where the heck is "American Beauty" on the list?  It should rightly reside somewhere in the top 100.

RS has indeed fallen a Long Way since its first issue featured John Lennon on the cover; these days the cover-art emphasis is on prepubescent navels and so-called "music" made by people who think all you need is a thumping bass and the ability to scream/chant into a microphone.

The fact that Eminem has TWO entries on the list should make the entire effort suspect... I have taken the trouble to listen to his so-called "music" getsick.gif  because I was curious about what all the fuss is about and I was saddened and dismayed that so many young people are attracted to his misogynistic and hate-filled lyrics.  His CDs are more appropriate to under-the-table sales at gunshows than at music stores.

NOW I remember why I cancelled my subscription to Rolling Stone; the rag lost its original creative spark and relevancy around the time it moved to New York...and that was a long time ago.

sleep1.gif
« Last Edit: February 01, 2004, 05:20:38 PM by Mayo »

Offline jepinto

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2004, 08:22:32 PM »
QUOTE(Paddy @ Feb 1 2004, 5:38 PM)
For more fun:

Rolling Stone's 50 Uncoolest records ever! (I will admit to currently owning one of these, and formerly owning about 5 more...) biggrin.gif

Five owned, three were favorites..... blush-anim-cl.gif
Do not fear your enemies.  The worse they can do is kill you.  Do not fear friends.  At worst, they may betray you.
Fear those who do not care; they neither kill nor betray, but betrayal and murder exist because of their silent consent.
~Bruno Jasienski~

Offline Epaminondas

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 12:11:13 AM »
Strange -

I find it hard to believe, but I do not see my two favourite albums on the top 500 list:

(1) America, Why I Love Her. John Wayne. 1973

(2) The Best of Marcel Marceau.  MGM.  1971.

Rolling Stone is definitely out of touch with the silent majority.

Regards,

Epaminondas

. . . Now on the day that John Wayne died
I found myself on the continental divide.
Tell me where do I go from here?
Think I’ll ride into Leadville and have a few beers.
I think of Red River or Liberty Valance
Can’t believe the old man’s gone.

Chorus:

But now he’s incommunicado
Leavin’ such a hole in a world that believed
That a life with such bravado
Was takin’ the right way home . . .

J Buffet
Incommunicado

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 12:36:48 AM »
I'm amazed that the sound track to "The Graduate" (Parsley Sage, Rosemary and Thyme) was 200. Sheesh.

Also I did not see "Something New" by the Beatles. One of my favorites.

Then again I didn't expect to see Richard Chamberlain Sings which I admit to owning.
 rolleyes.gif

( I had a crush on him as a teenager. Only later to find out he was gay. sad.gif )

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2004, 02:38:43 AM »
When one of the Pop Idol winners issued a cover version of a classic track, the secondhand rock-album stall in Coventry covered market carried a handwritten notice: "Please do not ask for Gareth Gates' version of Spirit in the Sky as a smack in the mouth often offends...." biggrin.gif . This has given me an idea for another music thread...
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline jepinto

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2004, 04:33:56 AM »
QUOTE(Highmac @ Feb 2 2004, 3:38 AM)
"Please do not ask for Gareth Gates' version of Spirit in the Sky as a smack in the mouth often offends...."

rolleyes.gif

Is that a classic British understatement? clap.gif
Do not fear your enemies.  The worse they can do is kill you.  Do not fear friends.  At worst, they may betray you.
Fear those who do not care; they neither kill nor betray, but betrayal and murder exist because of their silent consent.
~Bruno Jasienski~

Offline beacher

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://sonofabeach-beacher.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2004, 03:14:57 PM »
But Mayo, back then, Rolling Stone was all about music and the alternative culture and politics , not what now passes for pop culture, which seemed to be the focus of the last couple of issues that I looked at. I think that in the vernacular of the day, they would stand convicted of "selling out"!  Probably making a whole lot more money now, though.  Probably would cause the writers, back then, ulcers! wallbash.gif It really is a shame to see the decline of what was once an influential magazine. . .