Author Topic: Good learning experience  (Read 1494 times)

Offline iGuy

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
Good learning experience
« on: January 02, 2004, 03:27:54 PM »
Hi folks,
After fooling around for months trying to repair my PowerMacs internal modem, I finally got it done.  I know, I know, why didn't I just buy an external modem.  For some reason I couldn't accept that something in my PowerMac wasn't working.  I had to replace what is called the filter assembly board.  Why it is called that I have no idea.  It is the internal wire that runs from the computers phone jack to the internal modem.  After replacing it, I was able to connect but at a very slow speed.  I had a hard time finding a replacement modem.  I didn't want to buy new from Apple since it would cost around $125.  I tried MacResq but they didn't have the modem I needed.  Although the one they offered may of worked.  Their price was a hefty $50 for a refurbished modem.  I then did something I have never done and that is make a purchase through ebay.  I bought a modem from Macintosh Deals on ebay.  A mear $32 dollars after shipping.  You people from California may be familiar with Macintosh Deals.  I understand they have an actual store.  I noticed lots of positive feedback.

My computer is now upgraded to Panther and I am now able to get use out of Safari since the repair.  So far Safari seems very nice.  Very speedy!

I am now wanting to download the update for Panther 10.3 but noticed it was 39mb.  That is huge for dialup.  Mabey I can let it run overnight.  Also wanting to download the WarCraft III update from Version Tracker which is also very large.

Ryan

Offline iGuy

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
Good learning experience
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2004, 03:32:26 PM »
Although my OLD internal modem connects at a top speed of 16800bps.  It is still funtional.  Would there be someone on the web that would be interested in refurbishing it?

Ryan