Author Topic: Sierra boot stop ..  (Read 2341 times)

Offline ADSR

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
Sierra boot stop ..
« on: December 23, 2019, 04:33:46 PM »
My daughter have a Macbook whith two partitions...Snow léopard and Sierra

Today i try to  allow permissions (read and write) on the two partitions, so she can access folder on both
Snow léopard boot ok ..
on Sierra now the black line on boot  begin fast than slow down in the middle and goes to the end but stay there whithout booting  :oops:
Maybe i've done something wrong..
Tryed DW ..no success
What do you suggest?

Thanks

GR

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: Sierra boot stop ..
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2019, 05:21:52 PM »
Today i try to  allow permissions (read and write) on the two partitions
Not sure what you are wanting to do. There is no required "allowing" of permissions when booted to a partition.

I assume the same person is the administrator for both volumes. It will help to have both volumes set up to "Share" the other ones (Sharing Prefs->File Sharing). You can also set Users (System Admin, Group, Everyone) Permissions there. "Partitions" should simply appear (as a 'volume') in the Side Bar of any(all) Finder window(s).

After setting up Sharing, let Finder display the files of the un-booted partition, then drag and drop or simply double-click a file and it will open the appropriate app on the booted volume.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline ADSR

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2019, 01:47:41 AM »
Yes ..that what i wont to do access on both partitions ...but now Sierra  don't finish the boot process ... :wallbash:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2019, 04:39:58 AM »
I hate to be the bearer of pessimism, but the hard drive may be failing. Can you boot from the Recovery partition and run Disk Utility? Not only should you opt to Repair Disk but you should also run SMART to see if the hard drive is healthy. If SMART says no, you'll have to replace the drive (difficult as that is with a laptop). If SMART gives a clean bill of health, that is true, hopefully, but not definitely.

I hope that you have a good backup; you may need it.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2019, 10:20:54 AM »
Does the macOS 10.12 Sierra partition show up in the list of attached 'drives' in Disk Utility?

Offline ADSR

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2019, 09:47:08 AM »
Yes it's showing up...

Tryed to repare but nothing more

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2019, 02:11:29 AM »
If it shows in Disk Utility but not in the Finder Side Bar, you must not have enabled File Sharing. In that case, sadly I don’t know of any way to do anything with any files on the volume.

I’m out of the States now but I assume the volume is till showing up as an option in Start Up disks. If so, you can try selecting it and then immediately hold the shift key down and hold it down during the Start up process. That will load only Apple system files.

Hope that helps because it sounds like time to reformat the drive and that will likely wipe everything, including the one OS that does boot. I’m not sure I would trust that drive even if you manage to get both volumes working!

Offline ADSR

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2019, 04:39:16 PM »
Decided to erease the partition and  and reinstall Sierra

As i get the macbook whith sierra installed , i don't have it,
So i bought on Ebay an usb boot key whith the install ...

Don't received yet , but i was  told to deconnect from internet and change date in terminal  to install it...

Don't know why ?

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2019, 09:32:09 PM »
Setting the date back ‘tricks’ the OS from seeing the install is older than the current version. The OS does not normally allow installing an OS older Than the current one. Turning off web access prevents the OS from updating the time before you do the USB drive install.

Make sure to scan the USB drive for malware before installing anything. Next update the newly installed OS before doing anything else. Re-install any apps only from the Apple Store or the developers own site. Avoid any/all non-Apple or developer software download sites! Many of those ‘give’ you outdated or infected software. :coolio: :eek: :wallbash:

Offline ADSR

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2019, 03:35:46 AM »
 :thanx: for all the infos..

Make sure to scan the USB drive for malware before installing anything.
What software do you suggest to do that ? i don't have any ...

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2019, 08:49:10 AM »
I use a free version of one app but being in SE Asia right now, I can’t give you a name.

HEY GAIN! :yahoo: How about some suggested (free) malware apps that could help GR scan a USB drive for any unfriendly software. Not sure where the drive comes from but it claims to be able to install High Sierra. :Thinking: :whistling:

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2019, 06:12:10 PM »
Since you've wiped the drive, there is no need to scan for malware.

And though I could be wrong, I'm almost 100% sure that the trouble you had was entirely due to trying to change the permissions on the whole partition. Never do that. There are different permissions on different sorts of files - and generally you don't touch the permissions on system files unless you want things to break. SHARING would have been the way to go, as Jim said. Google listed a number of threads along the lines of "File Permissions Changed Now System Won't Boot"...

It's too bad you opted for eBay - it's easy (and free) to download Sierra and create your own bootable USB stick. For others following this thread who might want to do this at some point: https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-sierra/id1127487414?mt=12 for the Sierra download and instructions here: https://www.macworld.com/article/3092900/how-to-create-a-bootable-macos-sierra-installer-drive.html (links to other OS downloads in the article)

I've used Diskmaker (free) for creating bootable OS installs. Works a treat.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »
The drive that needs scanning is the USB stick from EBay.

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2019, 08:55:11 PM »
My misteak...read the thread too fast. Of course, when getting something like this from eBay, caution is a GOOD thing. Or just make your own and be done with it.

It would appear that a bunch of people have made tidy little businesses out of SELLING THE LINK to the downloads for Sierra etc. The download is freely available and easily found if you just Google it. I wonder if Apple is aware that people are doing this? Of all the scummy things to do. You can get to it from this page: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208202

I'm appalled that eBay even permits this - it's utterly ridiculous. They pretend that they're giving you info you can't easily find for free online (like the instructions I linked to in my previous post).

It's one thing to sell the USB stick with the OS for people who can't be bothered to figure out how to do it themselves (still silly IMHO, but at least you've got a USB stick for your cash - and some may not have figured out that it was an easy DIY project) but selling a freely available link and freely available instructions is nuts.

Here...I'll sell you a box of air. It's just $5.99 plus $12 shipping. GRRRRR.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2019, 12:42:02 AM »
...box of air. It's just $5.99 plus $12 shipping.
I assume that’s by air overnight! As long as it’s FedEx, that’s great! I need them to keep paying my retirement!!! :thumbup: