Author Topic: "The Eagle has landed."  (Read 3188 times)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
"The Eagle has landed."
« on: July 16, 2009, 08:17:09 AM »
And now we carry around the computing power in our hand! Oh yeah, it has a phone in it, also! rofl.gif

Uh, I kinda rushed the date a little...blush-anim-cl.gif
« Last Edit: July 18, 2009, 04:43:22 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline RNKIII

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2009, 09:47:42 AM »
Can remember exactly where I was....

Fort "Lost in the Woods" Missouri, in a break room after having completed the wonderful experience of tear gas and 'near-death' all at the same time.

Ah, life was grand!!!!   NOT!!

Bob K.   rnkiii
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 09:48:49 AM by RNKIII »
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to
use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 10:25:47 AM »
Fort "Lost in the Woods" Missouri
Would that, by any chance be, Fort Chaffee? No doubt a misspelling of one of my AWOL ancestors! blush-anim-cl.gif That place is so big and wild that they probably never bother to search for anyone that they find missing from morning roll call! eek2.gif rofl.gif Glad you may it out! salute.gif
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 10:26:18 AM by Xairbusdriver »

Offline RNKIII

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 12:10:54 PM »
NOOO!!!!  This would have been "Ft. Leonard Wood" Mo......   Where we filled our blanks with sand to ward off the skunks during our 'camp outs'..... Sgt. didn't really appreciate us firing off during his 'nap' time but it kept us entertained...

Bob K.   rnkiii
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach him to
use the Net and he won't bother you for weeks.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 02:01:02 PM »
Oh yeah! Just southwest of Rolla? We pass the signs going to and coming from Columbia on US 63. I don't think Chaffee is even open anymore, and it was in NW Arkansas, also. wallbash.gif Guess that's why they didn't ask me how to get to the Sea of Tranquility! laughhard.gif
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 02:02:04 PM by Xairbusdriver »

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:43:54 PM »
Late Sunday afternoon and we were sitting outside listening to the radio waiting to hear the news.

For those who might not have been around, and don't understand:
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/apollo/apollo11_40th.html

Offline kcourt

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009, 10:48:17 PM »
WOW.gif I remember it well - it was an awesome experience.

Kathy flower-smilie.gif
Live simply,
Love generously,
Care deeply,
Speak kindly....
Leave the rest to God

Offline gunug

• TS Addict
  • TS Palindrome
    • View Profile
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009, 03:53:33 AM »
That landing footage is one of the things that can still get me choked up, big time.  I can't believe that they misplaced the original, "best" tapes of that mission. I suppose they're in someone's back closet! This is about attempts to bring back the footage:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090716/ap_on_..._sci_moon_video
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 05:19:01 AM by gunug »
"If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!"

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2009, 10:22:06 AM »
Apparently, the tapes used to record the original transmissions were simply regarded as 'data' and they didn't have the luxury of hi-def, hard drive recorders, instead relying on very large and expensive tape reels. Even as slow as thew transmissions were and as small as the data collected seems, NASA still had too few tapes and did what many still do today: re-record the Super Bowl over the tape of their daughters wedding! eek2.gif "Stupid wasn't born yesterday!"

Frankly, I think all this 'recovery' effort lends credence to my suspicions that these 'ladings' were simply early attempts at graphics simulations and creative use of HP pocket calculators! rant.gif It was all a trick to shame he Russians!!! yes.gif

Offline RHPConsult

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2009, 09:35:18 AM »
Thanks for the ref to those splendid Yahoo pictures, gunug. Wonderful!

Jim, (curmudgeon-in-chief) I'm surprised you didn't have a grief comment on them, especially the  . . .ah . . .uhmm . . . propinquity of the unknown singers and models – aka the "beautiful people" (especially the antepartum Victoria Secrets' model) – conjoined at the Louis Vuitton celebratory reception and the real stars (and focus) of the celebration. Only in America would some publicist seek to combine both in a completely contrived event, subsequent to which some editor would stretch mightily to create a connection as though something important had transpired in New Yawk City last night. Sheesh.

I'll never forget the "original" event, either, Kimmer. With my (now 40 and 50 year old "kids) we dashed out to the front yard and gazed up at the moon within seconds of hearing "Houston. Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.". It still gives me a chill. What a display of skill courage from all . . . all those guys in their white shirts, ties and pocket protectors who changed the future forever. I hope my "kids" will be able to share their memories with their grandchildren on the occasion of the manned Mars landing!

Our family even had a connection to the lunar landings: My now deceased brother-in-law, a distinguished biochemist, did the decisive analytical work on some the rocks and dust brought back from several Apollo missions, conclusively determining that the over-excited speculation(s) re: life molecules on the moon were, so to speak, groundless. The early analysis done by others which "found" same was the result of contaminated lab equipment. He continued his work (right up until he passed on earlier this year, at 92) advising NASA on the design of the lunar base that will probably play a key part in launching the manned Mars expedition in 10-15 years, given that the vehicle to accomplish that cannot, practically/realistically, serve both to escape Earth's gravity and have sufficient "supplies" to reach Mars, so it will have to "provision" on the Moon before continuing the next great voyage.

Of course, that depends on the nation's political will being as adept as its scientific establishment's achievements, a far more problematical proposition, unfortunately, IMHO

Great thread, guys. Thanks.

PS: Jim, your last quip reminds me of George Carlin's line (I think it was) who described his suspicious grandmother as ". . . believin' that the moon landing was fake and rasslin' is real!"
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 02:46:49 AM by RHPConsult »

Offline sandbox

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009, 09:57:37 AM »
I was a teen who knew a young girl named Moonbeam, whose father had a weird sense of humor back in those days. Weird humor aside there was something odd about the landing photos…. and that was the Flag. In an atmosphere void of air, thus wind, the flag was displayed in an outstretched and waving scene that caught the dutiful eye of the science students sitting in the room in Cambridge Ma. with a Moonbeam on his lap, and said to her "did you cause the flag to wave?

Question never answered or avoided is what makes ……believin a conclusion left up to those with other needs. It didn't take the Russians to create the skeptics, all that was required was a photo that displays windy conditions on a windless globe with no explanation.

Aside from the skeptics, it was a memorable event for me because my cousin worked on a part of the electronics of the project at the Raytheon Corporation so the whole family was in tune with the progress of the mission. Much of the project was designed an assembled in and around the neighborhood so there were many whispers and rumors about the trials and tribulations floating around on thicker air. wink.gif
« Last Edit: July 19, 2009, 09:58:36 AM by sandbox »

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2009, 11:36:12 AM »
I assumed it was widely known, even before the landing, that the flag had a wire along the top to make it extend outward. I know I was aware of that and I think I have heard that mentioned many times, on-air as well as books and article, some even written by the astronauts. The "waving" is seen only while they are handling the pole and one other time. Now, that time there were, in fact, no men(or women!) on the moon!!! That's right, there are pictures of the flag moving and absolutely no human is around!!! So the movement could not have come from any man handling!!!

But you will kindly note that I did say say the movement was not "man-made!" Aha!!! Proof that it was all a fake!!! Not quite, actually, it is proof that the escape motors on the control module was working!!! wink.gif Great news for the astronauts, don't you think? smile.gif The flag movements were simply the exhaust gases from the rocket motor, no smoke, no fire, niether would be helpful nor efficient, not to mention safe!

Of course, conspiracy theorists don't usually ask for factual explanations... laughhard.gif

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 02:38:05 AM »
I remember staying up late to watch all the stuff on TV.. . hmm, some things never change.  rolleyes.gif

I also have some pictures I took of the TV screen during the moon walk....somewhere.

And I went into NYC to watch the tickertape parade for the astronauts. Pictures of that somewhere, too. Thinking.gif

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
"The Eagle has landed."
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 04:45:09 PM »
NASA might appreciate those TV images for their 'archives!'