Author Topic: 5G isn't really 5G  (Read 1075 times)

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
5G isn't really 5G
« on: November 23, 2019, 03:03:49 PM »
At least if you are a Verizon customer. Since I can't even get their 4G (and yes, it's supposedly available in my area), I don't much care. ;)

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2019/11/verizons-new-5g-coverage-maps-show-just-how-sparse-the-network-is/

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: 5G isn't really 5G
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 04:26:41 PM »
It's clear that 5G isn't the revolutionary technology promised by carriers and government officials like Federal Communications Commission Chairman Ajit Pai, who has stoked 5G hype while attempting to preempt regulation by local governments.
This man has been attacking consumers for years, in my opinion. At least since 2014. See Wikipedia entries. RIP "Net Neutrality".

Why you should never trust most corporations:
5G should become more widespread as the company deploys it on the lower-frequency bands currently used for 4G, but Verizon has warned that 5G on lower frequencies won't bring the big speed increases seen on millimeter-wave bands. Instead, Verizon says 5G on lower frequencies will be more like "good 4G," so consumers won't even notice much of a difference if they already have strong 4G coverage.
Amazing how long it has taken their "engineers" to figure out that millimeter frequencies aren't suitable for wide-area coverage. This has been known since Marconi first started experimenting with radio... :wallbash: The marketing 'suits' never worry about facts, however.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2019, 04:32:26 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline gunug

• TS Addict
  • TS Palindrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2019, 08:41:20 AM »
Seems like it's hype that came out because the cellphone industry is driven by hype! I think the country supposedly made a bunch of money selling/reselling the bandwidth but that's really the only benefit!
"If there really is no beer in heaven then maybe at least the
computers will work all of the time!"

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2019, 09:42:46 AM »
5G is hardly a 4G replacement - it's really a bit of a misnomer, that way. First off...you'd need a cell tower every 100 yards or so. Yes, you read that right. It's NOT something that will ever be practical in anything but small, dense, urban pockets.

And don't get me started on Ajit Pai...or I will go off into the political weeds. <_<
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline jcarter

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jcarter.net/ourdogs/muffinpage.html
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2019, 08:04:28 AM »
My neighbor who is a retired Verizon employee, explained that entire thing to us. We are having trouble with the old copper VZ lines here, and being sparsely populated, they have no intention of keeping the old lines up and running properly. We, who have kept our old landlines with them, have static and loud hum, and intermittency. But we all have alternate phone service.
Interesting of how VZ will not give us FIOS here, why string fiber optic if there arent enuf houses to hook up. And 5G is a joke with VZ, and again, why set up all these little transmitters for so few houses. Its almost line of sight. Not cost effective here.
We do have an independent fiber optic system for the scientific organizations here, and they plan to spread it to the local hospital and some other businesses who can afford it. And we have Comcast with their nice cables, and VOIP, and our iPhones.

And within a couple of years, arent there going to be a whole bunch of these low orbit satellites which will be yet another phone option?
And one of our kids has a sat phone, GPS thing that they take when they are at sea or in very remote areas.

Its fun looking at all this stuff and talking with my old VZ neighbor about this too.