Archives > 2006

OT, sort-of/New, improved (hopefully!) page on my website

<< < (9/9)

Xairbusdriver:
QUOTEIt's funny no-one has found that the fuzzy guitar is the home button... I've talked to my pal about this a few times, and he seems intransigent on the issue.That's a great clue that the 'content' is not apparent. If you user can't figure out what something is/does, they probably won't stay around long enough to find out. Various studies suggest that you have less than 30 seconds to 'hook' the viewer. If they don't see the 'fuzzy guitar' as a link, you need to change it, somehow, period. What 'designers' think is soooo kewl, may just be clutter to the normal user. If the site is just for you, do whatever you want, who cares. If you want to attract people's money, pay attention to the details and know what the details are. What we're actually talking about is the consistency of the site, common colors for all states of a link ( does your friend know there are four basic states? ), common font families, sizes, colors ( 3 max ), etc. throughout the site. Common navigation scheme, also.

CSS is the easiest way to do this and you'll be able to dump all the extra, excess tags, values in every paragraph, heading, etc. One file will affect every single page.

I've played with RapidWeaver and tend to agree that it would serve you well, so well, in fact, you may not need the 'services' of your friend! Especially, if he is arguing about 'details' that affect the effectiveness of your site! That's the second hardest thing a designer has to do; produce what the 'client' wants, even if it's not what the designer would do!

jcarter:
So Rapidweaver gets the vote!?
Is it pretty easy?  I too have GoLive but it was way too complex for me, tho I did make a short site with it.

Also I am signed up for another class starting with HTML, which will advance to XHTML and then CSS.  The first class was not geared to beginners.

It is all fun anyway.
I will let you all know how I progress.
This is a very interesting thread, lots of excellent information here, not only for Chris, but for others(like me) who are learning this stuff.
Jane

Paddy:
One thing about GoLive and Dreamweaver - while both are powerful, feature-rich programs with steep initial learning curves, once you make the effort, it IS worth it. You can hand code to your heart's content - but there are terrific site management tools at your disposal. As noted, overkill for a simple site, but both provide flexibility and tools that no shareware can match - which is not an indictment of the shareware, just a statement of fact. Lately, I've come to prefer Dreamweaver (though there are a few small things I like better about GoLive, which I HOPE they'll put in the next version of DW!) - particularly as a number of my clients are using Contribute to update their sites, so it is pretty much essential to build the site initially with Dreamweaver.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version