Author Topic: Solved: Epson scanner and Image Capture puzzle  (Read 5846 times)

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Solved: Epson scanner and Image Capture puzzle
« on: March 04, 2010, 11:52:06 AM »
I had no problem with my Epson Perfection 3590 Photo scanner until I upgraded the software. Now, every time I use it, Image Capture (IC) pops up and hijacks it. I don't remember ever seeing IC appear and, though it's an Apple program, don't recall ever having heard of it.

With the software update came a warning that "some settings may not work" which I suspect may have been generated by IC.

I used to be able to just press the scanner's PDF button to copy documents; now Image Capture takes over and the only suitable setting is "fit 10x8" which scans the document as a jpeg or tiff and converts that to a PDF - in my opinion not too successfully.

I've already reloaded the original Epson software from the install CD which has made no difference. The only way I can see to sort this out is to delete IC from the apps folder. Will I cause any problems if I do so? (OS10.4.11, G5 iMac and I don't use iPhoto).

TIA smile.gif
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 11:52:39 AM by Highmac »
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline daryl66

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 12:26:31 PM »
QUOTE(Highmac @ Mar 4 2010, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had no problem with my Epson Perfection 3590 Photo scanner until I upgraded the software. Now, every time I use it, Image Capture (IC) pops up and hijacks it. I don't remember ever seeing IC appear and, though it's an Apple program, don't recall ever having heard of it.

With the software update came a warning that "some settings may not work" which I suspect may have been generated by IC.

I used to be able to just press the scanner's PDF button to copy documents; now Image Capture takes over and the only suitable setting is "fit 10x8" which scans the document as a jpeg or tiff and converts that to a PDF - in my opinion not too successfully.

I've already reloaded the original Epson software from the install CD which has made no difference. The only way I can see to sort this out is to delete IC from the apps folder. Will I cause any problems if I do so? (OS10.4.11, G5 iMac and I don't use iPhoto).

TIA smile.gif

There is a check box in the IC Preferences that addresses the scanner.  You may want to take a look there

Daryl

iMac 27" OSX 13.7.1 2011 MBP OSX 10.13.6  MBAir OSX 13.7.1 c iPad IOS 16.6  iPhone13 IOS 16.6 iPhone SE IOS 16.6  and Watch 5

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 12:49:26 PM »
Check your settings in Print & FAX Pref Panel (at least I think that's where your scanner would show up, also). You may also have a Pref Panel for the scanner?

I haven't had a stand-alone scanner in years, only ones since that old Ethernet thing is what comes with my multi-function printer/scanner/fax/dishwasher/hairdryer. But it has the absolute worst software (certified by Al Gore) I've ever seen. If you got two scans in a row, without a crash, you were extremely lucky! wallbash.gif So I have been ecstatic with Snow Leopard's improved Image Capture since it is the only interface needed for operating the scanner portion of the machine! clap.gif However, I don't think older versions of IC had that capability. This is just one more improvement Apple provides in SL that is worth five times the upgrade cost, not counting a new computer for you, of course! eek2.gif Sorry 'bout that... sad.gif
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 12:50:16 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 01:47:11 PM »
From Image Capture Help:

If Image Capture doesn’t open when you connect a camera

If Image Capture doesn’t open automatically when you connect a camera to your computer, you need to change your preference settings.

To open Image Capture automatically when you connect a camera:

Connect your camera to your computer, and turn the camera on.

Select the camera in the Devices list at the left of the Image Capture window.

From the “Connecting this [device] opens” pop-up menu, choose Image Capture.

If you don’t see that pop-up menu, click the “Show device settings” button in the lower-left corner.

You may be able to apply this to your scanner by doing something similar and de-selecting Image Capture.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Mayo

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 03:10:16 PM »
Good Ol' Epson driver updates!  

In my experience they have been problematic for years:

1. A downloaded update won't install no matter what you do.
2. An update screws-up things royally. Good luck getting things back to the way they were...
3. Epson declines to support relatively recent hardware when the Mac OS is updated. Or the driver upgrades take forever to arrive, while Windows folks generally don't have to wait as long. When the Mac upgrades do arrive, see items 1 and 2 above...

I purchased the original Epson Stylus Photo inkjet printer Way Back in 1997. It was state of-the-art and reliable even though it cost a rather princely sum of $500+. Unfortunately, it's been downhill for Epson since then and I gave up on the company a number of years ago... I do own an Epson Perfection 1260 scanner that was given to me by a friend a couple of years ago. Image Capture works fine for my purposes. When the scanner goes belly-up or ceases to meet my needs I'll buy another scanner... but you can be certain that it won't be an Epson.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2010, 04:55:34 PM by Mayo »

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 09:12:49 PM »
Always archive the current versions of any software before upgrading. Period. Even if you have Time Machine or other backups. Un-ziping is always faster... thumbup.gif

And, when it comes to printers, always get the latest CUPS versions from Apple. Frankly, I think Apple's upgrades to those drivers is just another nail in the coffin of many printer makers dropping support for their Mac software. Why do the work, when Apple will do it for you? dntknw.gif Of corse, scanners are a smaller market than printers, so even Apple may not be of much help there, except via Image Capture. As I said, it's well worth the Snow Leopard upgrade cost, just for its added capabilities. Of course, that doesn't help if your hardware can't run it... tears.gif
« Last Edit: March 05, 2010, 09:17:02 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 01:00:21 AM »
While waiting for my new printer to arrive I decided to fiddle with an old Epson Color 1520 wide format printer I had lying around. It had given me a lot of trouble with drawing in paper and I had given up on it.  Well, long story short, after fiddling with it I put in an old black ink cartridge dated 2001 and with a couple cleanings, it worked!

Leopard saw the printer through the parallel/USB adapter and gave me more print options than I ever had with the Epson software. thumbup.gif

What I found most interesting was going over the cleaning instructions on the sticker and realizing you could clean EITHER the black OR the color cartridge. And the printer works even if only one cartridge has ink.  Show me a printer that does both of those things today.  yes.gif
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 01:01:26 AM by krissel »

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 04:29:52 AM »
Many thanks for all the helpful replies; my lack of earlier response is because domestic events have lowered the priority of fixing the scanner since at least I can use it through Image Capture. And after Mayo's comments I'm not too hopeful anyway!

But I'll be back and when (IF?) I get it sorted I'll let you know what worked.

While I love Jim's idea of upgrading to SL by getting a new Mac, I would need the domestic chancellor's agreement for that to happen  rolleyes.gif

In the meantime, many thanks. thumbup.gif
Neil
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2010, 05:27:20 AM »
Here is how I finally managed to get the scanner back to working order - just in case anyone else does a search.....

Tried several times uninstalling and installing the software via the original disc, variously with the scanner connected or not and repairing permissions and doing restarts. Finally, deciding there is nothing to lose:

1) Did a Spotlight full search for anything that included the name Epson (scanner is the only Epson device we have) and moved all of it to Trash, being careful not to empty at this point.
2) Disconnected scanner completely and installed software from the original disc.
3) It works. Image Capture doesn't show its face and I can scan documents as PDFs.

It seems one of those files that "might be used by other programs" was the problem.

Thanks to all who offered advice! smile.gif
Neil