Author Topic: FormulatePro  (Read 9868 times)

Offline sluggo

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
FormulatePro
« on: December 01, 2007, 08:59:03 AM »
Downloaded this freeware from Versiontracker for filling in PDF documents. When trying to use it on scanned documents that don't have defined fields within a box, the text is micro small.
As an example, I scanned and saved as PDF a memorandum blank from work. The typical To/From/Subject type. I can place the cursor next to the To, From, Subject or anyplace else on the document for that matter and begin to type. But the type is microscopic.
I can increase the size of the type by using Command/+ but it will not hold the setting if I hit Return to move down another line or if I use the cursor to move to another portion of the document.
Has anyone used this little app or had similar problems?
Todd
________________________________________________________________________________

"Time loves to be wasted. From that waste there is no salvage." - Henry Ford

Offline Jack W

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
FormulatePro
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2007, 10:00:25 AM »
sluggo,

AFAIK, scanned documents don't have fields per-se, just one all-inclusive file.

That is probably your problem.

You need the original PDF document. Can you download that from work?

- Jack
Good to be Here.

My Macs: 2010 27" alum iMac 2.8GHz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Mavericks 10.9.5, 4GB SDRAM (Workhorse),
13” Late 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 10.6.8, 2GB SDRAM,
(2) External HD - Firewire/USB Macally Enclosures  with 1TB Hitachi Drives,
Time Machine external drive - ditto above - 1/2 TimeMac

Offline sluggo

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
FormulatePro
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2007, 10:53:46 AM »
QUOTE(Jack W @ Dec 1 2007, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sluggo,

AFAIK, scanned documents don't have fields per-se, just one all-inclusive file.

That is probably your problem.

You need the original PDF document. Can you download that from work?

- Jack

It's just a generic memo from a state agency. I doubt that we have an online spot to download it in PDF form. What you state makes sense to me. Just couldn't see spending $95 on a shareware when it most likely would only be used now and then.
Thanks for the insight!
Todd
Todd
________________________________________________________________________________

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
FormulatePro
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2007, 09:35:42 PM »
Might not expect too much from a version 0.0.3 product. dntknw.gif Maybe iy will do what you want by the time it's 0.5? smile.gif Email the developer and at least show him there is interest in his work. clap.gif

As his 'forum' says:
FormulatePro is currently a Beta product. That means that while it can be used, it shouldn't yet be depended upon.
I'm not sure I'd agree that it's actually up to the ßeta stage, however... wink.gif
« Last Edit: December 01, 2007, 09:40:25 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jb

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
FormulatePro
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2007, 11:49:55 PM »
I use FormMate, a 29.95 application. Just drag any PDF, secured or not, onto the FormMate app icon, double-click where you want to add text, select the Font and its size, and type away. You can then save it as a FormMate document that you can add text to, or export it to PDF and save it as a PDF document.

There are many other PDF filling apps. One of them, PDFpen, does not allow a secured PDF form to be filled.

jb

iMac 21.5" Intel i3, OS 10.6.8, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HFS+ Internal HD, SuperDrive, 4 part 1TB HFS+ Firewire400 External HD 1, 250 GB HFS+ Firewire400 External HD 2, Powered 7 port USB Hub, USB Printer/Scanner, USB Printer/Fax/Scanner, USB Multiple Card Reader, Cable Modem, 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive.

Offline sluggo

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
FormulatePro
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2007, 07:00:36 PM »
Still having problems, even with FormMate. I think it has more to do with the Lexmark X5150 scanner software at this point. I can scan the document, but when I open it in FormMate the thing is huge. When I use the pulldown menu to make it into a manageable size, then I run into the same problem of my input text being smaller than I'd like.
Bout ready to throw in the towel on this one for the time being.
Todd

Offline jb

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
FormulatePro
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2007, 08:48:36 AM »
sluggo. Try the following:

- Drag your scanned document onto GraphicConverter app.
- Save the document as a .pdf document
- Drag the saved as .pdf document onto your FormulatePro app. or the FormMate app.

Hope this works.

jb
iMac 21.5" Intel i3, OS 10.6.8, 4 GB RAM, 500 GB HFS+ Internal HD, SuperDrive, 4 part 1TB HFS+ Firewire400 External HD 1, 250 GB HFS+ Firewire400 External HD 2, Powered 7 port USB Hub, USB Printer/Scanner, USB Printer/Fax/Scanner, USB Multiple Card Reader, Cable Modem, 16 GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive.

Offline sluggo

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
FormulatePro
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2007, 06:50:42 PM »
QUOTE(jb @ Dec 4 2007, 09:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
sluggo. Try the following:

- Drag your scanned document onto GraphicConverter app.
- Save the document as a .pdf document
- Drag the saved as .pdf document onto your FormulatePro app. or the FormMate app.

Hope this works.

jb

Can only locate 2 folders for GraphicConverter support, but no app. Is it something that would come on the OS DVD that I could ferret out with Pacifist?
Todd

Offline jb

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
FormulatePro
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2007, 09:01:28 AM »
GraphicConverter is available here for 34.95

Not to be confused with Graphic Converter (2 words) available here for 19.95. I don't have this one. It does not show that it can translate a PDF document into a .jpg.

jb

Offline sluggo

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
FormulatePro
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2007, 08:37:09 PM »
Thanks for the effort, jb. With my previous luck, I think I'll just suck it up and live without the fill in function for now. Hate to spend $34.95 on another software that I would fail to decipher or that would just fail me, period.
Todd

Offline Andrew de los Reyes

• Poster Child
    • View Profile
FormulatePro
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2007, 10:21:58 PM »
QUOTE(sluggo @ Dec 1 2007, 06:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Downloaded this freeware from Versiontracker for filling in PDF documents. When trying to use it on scanned documents that don't have defined fields within a box, the text is micro small.
As an example, I scanned and saved as PDF a memorandum blank from work. The typical To/From/Subject type. I can place the cursor next to the To, From, Subject or anyplace else on the document for that matter and begin to type. But the type is microscopic.
I can increase the size of the type by using Command/+ but it will not hold the setting if I hit Return to move down another line or if I use the cursor to move to another portion of the document.
Has anyone used this little app or had similar problems?

Hi,

if you choose the font/size while you are not editing text, it will become the default size for when you make new text. This should fix your usage problem.

Also, it would be cool if you posted questions in an email to the author or to macupdate/versiontracker. As the author, it can be annoying to register on sites to help a user.

-andrew (FormulatePro author)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
FormulatePro
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2007, 11:02:37 PM »
Welcome Aboard, Andrew!
it would be cool if you posted questions in an email to the author or to macupdate/versiontracker.
Good advice and usually more efficient, too.
As the author, it can be annoying to register on sites to help a user.
And I'd call that service above and beyond! clap.gif Thanks for the effort!

But we'd also like to invite you to come by and visit (like you've got all this free time...)! We actually do recommend contacting the developer/author many times, especially when we've had good results before. Don't know why we didn't make that suggestion this time! It sure looked like we'd make it through the year with no misteakz! tongue.gif laugh.gif
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 11:03:46 PM by Xairbusdriver »
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
FormulatePro
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2007, 02:11:46 AM »
Thanks andrew for coming here to solve a problem. salute.gif