Author Topic: Photo Editing  (Read 3877 times)

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Photo Editing
« on: January 02, 2020, 04:06:53 PM »
I've been out of the loop regarding photo editing for a few years now. I had Photoshop on my computers starting with Photoshop 3 through Photoshop CS. Then, through a series of events, I no could no longer keep up with the advancing technology. This year, I am planning to finally get a new Mac. I've been using a MacBook Pro long enough that another portable will likely be my choice.

So, my question is, which photo editing software is favored by Mac users? I won't be purchasing Photoshop again but if I go with Adobe, I would most likely get Elements as I'm most familiar with the tools in Adobe software.

If there is other software available to someone who enjoys photo restoration and manipulation, please share your ideas!

Thanks and Happy New Year to All!
-Bruce-

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: Photo Editing
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 05:23:12 PM »
I could never justify the cost of PS and, not being a professional, Elements more than handled all I needed. I also grabbed Aperture just before Apple abandoned it. I then bought Lightroom. I now use Elements and ON1. That gives me pixel by pixel access via PSE and zone or overall controls (and Layers) with ON1.

I think for those who don’t continue with Adobe CS subscriptions, most are using Lightroom or ON1. PSE still has a large following and massive user forums.

You will definitely enjoy your new hardware, no matter the software!! :yes:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 05:38:05 PM »
I'm a semi retired graphic designer still using Photoshop CS6. Can't justifying buying a subscription. I've got a new 27" iMac that I haven't yet transferred all my files over and know I can't use CS6 on it. :-(
(I'll be coming here soon for advice!)
I think you should be good with Elements if you are not a professional working with media and printing companies.
27" iMac, 2017, 3.47 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1.03 TB HD,
OSX10.14.3 • 15" MacBookPro mid 2012, OSX10.14.3 • Mac Mini OSX10.13.6 • iPhone 11

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 05:18:28 AM »
Although I dislike the idea of paying extortion subscription to Adobe, I do like the way I can print photos using Photoshop. I subscribe only to Adobe's photo package and can well afford the $10.79 per month. I spend a lot more on cat food, so I don't mind this one.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2020, 11:28:47 AM »
Thank you all for your responses!

I'm happy to hear that Elements is still one of the favorites of Mac users. My desire to have photo editing software is only for personal use and enjoyment. I'm way past the days when I did graphics work for a living.

Lightroom is one that I will look at again. It was on my "check it out" list before I left the industry. ON1 is a new one to me. I'll take a closer look at what it offers. I don't anticipate having more than one application to do the things I want to do.

I bought Aperture too. For some reason, it's never been one of my favorite apps even though it has given me great results at times. I wonder if it will run on the newest computers?

-Bruce-

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2020, 12:24:16 PM »
Although I have never used Affinity Photo, I have read good things about it. You can find it at App Store.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2020, 01:39:09 PM »
I bought Aperture too... I wonder if it will run on the newest computers?
Apple dropped development right after I bought it, although I don't think the two events were directly related! :doh: :p But it will certainly NOT run in Catalina, if it is a 32 bit app.

ON1 is in very active development and aimed directly at Lightroom. One of the biggest differences is that it allows you complete freedom as to where you store your originals as opposed to Lightroom's organization schemes. It also uses Layers like PS and PSE, not sure if that's available in LR. :dntknw:

PS and PSE are basically pixel editors/creators although various effects can be 'painted' on most objects. Aperture, LR and ON1 are more about editing the entire image although an effect can be faded in many ways. I think they all store your 'edits' as separate documents, leaving your original files unchanged.

You should probably also check out Apple's newest Photos app which you are already paying for! :)

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2020, 12:37:32 PM »
Thanks for all the information shared! I now have some homework to do!
-Bruce-

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 12:22:37 PM »
Late to the party, but I'd suggest that you have a look at some of the reviews that compare the various options to Photoshop and Lightroom. There are some significant pluses and minuses when it comes to LR replacements - the file system/catalogue system differences are significant between LR & ON1, for instance. For more on that see: https://photographylife.com/lightroom-vs-on1

I now have Capture One 12 Pro, ON1 2020, Affinity Photo, and Pixelmator Pro, in addition to my old LR/PS CS6, which are still in use. I haven't updated to Catalina, as I've had a number of big projects and not enough time to do anything...

Capture One 12 compared to Lightroom:
https://photographylife.com/lightroom-vs-capture-one

Capture One had a great sale before Christmas; I'd been dithering over it for some time. The other apps I've owned since they began and I have updated them (thought not used them extensively, yet) because I believe strongly in supporting viable Adobe alternatives!!

ON1 is significantly cheaper than C1 and will likely be more than enough for many - though DO keep in mind the differences using a database/sidecar DAM structure and make sure that you know and understand best practices around backups.

If you are looking for a viable Photoshop alternative from a great company with a good user base (and helpful forums) I HIGHLY recommend Affinity Photo. I also use Affinity Publisher - have already abandoned InDesign (which I used and loved for years) and it's great too.

Comparison: https://www.photography-raw.com/affinity-photo-vs-photoshop/

For those considering Pixelmator, this is a good comparison of it with PS: https://tidbits.com/2019/02/13/pixelmator-pro-how-does-it-compare-to-photoshop-cc/

"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Bruce_F

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 09:33:09 PM »
Wow! That's a lot of good information! I'll be checking all of it out.

Thanks Paddy!
-Bruce-

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2020, 02:19:41 AM »
Second the recommendation of Elements and the Affinity products (Affinity Photo and Designer).  Used to use the basic Pixelmator but have not gone over to the pro version. Don't have a favorite other than to say Elements is probably the easiest to use if you have had Photoshop in the past.

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2020, 10:34:15 AM »
Don't have a favorite other than to say Elements is probably the easiest to use
I hear it can even be used to create a small image usable as an avatar here... :scram:

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 02:58:36 AM »
We used to have a site license for PhotoShop back when I was working. I got to be "okay" with it for my classroom and special needs students, then I retired.  :thumbup: :clap: :yahoo:

Is there any way for someone skilled in photo editing etc to "fix" a blurry image of one of my little dogs and make it sharper (he was moving when I took the picture with one of my first digital cameras)? Is there anyone here so skilled?  I'd be glad to hear what such a thing would cost me as well, as I'd like to get a print from a sharp image. Thanks!

Smiles,
Sooz
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 03:24:32 AM by Sooz »
Desktop iMac, running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, 16 GB installed, with Time Machine and SuperDuper! backup on two external hard drives...and I like to bake.

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 05:05:08 AM »
I'm far from an expert, but if you still have Photoshop, you could select the dog and use the Filter menu. Choose Sharpen and go from there.

That's the best that I can do.
Jon

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 12:24:07 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion, Jon, but I no longer have PS or access to it.  Have a nice day!
Smiles,
Sooz
Desktop iMac, running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, 16 GB installed, with Time Machine and SuperDuper! backup on two external hard drives...and I like to bake.