Author Topic: HAPPY HOLIDAY!!!  (Read 973 times)

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
HAPPY HOLIDAY!!!
« on: November 28, 2019, 12:50:25 PM »
I believe some our North American friends are celebrating their freedom from a tyrannical Brit (or something like that... I don't recall our school history lessons dwelling too much on the subject).

Hope you all have a good weekend and the weather is kind where you are

:yum: :cookies: :cheer: :drink: :cheer: :yum: :cookies: :drink: :cheer: :cookies: :yum:
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: HAPPY HOLIDAY!!!
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2019, 02:02:17 PM »
Thanks for the good wishes, and we Americans celebrate our freedom on July 4, not Thanksgiving. The best comment I ever read from a Brit was attributed to an Englishman who was touring the US. He looked at its immensity, its scenery, and riches, and said, "Damn George III!"
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2019, 05:14:08 PM »
Thanksgiving is celebrated for Ben Franklin not getting his desire to have the turkey become our National Bird! We usually celebrate by eating an offspring of that bird. The one I shared in eating today was an 18 pound variety! :yum:

Don't know any "tyrannical" Brits. A few do seem a bit imperial, but that trait runs in many nationalities...
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2019, 02:47:13 AM »
Thanks Neil. Those Pilgrims may have been seeking religious freedom but apparently most of their offspring kept  "loyalties" to the Crown for another century and a half. 

Today we don't think so much about the origin of the celebration as much as the present gratitude we share for our good fortunes. 

:thumbup: :thumbup:

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2019, 05:14:41 AM »

Thanks for the good wishes, and we Americans celebrate our freedom on July 4, not Thanksgiving...

:oops:

Over here, Black Friday has just completed its second week (I kid you not!!) and changed its name to "Black Tag offers". Most Brits have not a clue as to how it started, but most things American eventually arrive on these shores.

Over here, our TV channels now include PBS America and the Smithsonian. Some really good documentaries but it's kind of ironic that some of PBS America's are from the BBC and 10 years old. An extreme example of "what goes around comes around"

Anyway, enough - stop reading this and go and enjoy your holiday :toothgrin:
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.