Author Topic: The Phone Call  (Read 793 times)

Offline Larry

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.catchfriday.com
The Phone Call
« on: May 15, 2019, 09:29:15 AM »
I have an iphone 8 12.3.

I received a phone call this morning and I couldn't hear the sender. It was from the UK and I'm currently in Spain. I rung the number an hour later and heard the recorded message that they wanted me type a number of a radio station. Obviously a scam and i deleted the number, but could the ringer have already sewed something in my phone?

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: The Phone Call
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2019, 10:52:35 AM »
I don't know about this one, but you should never ring back. If the call was important, the caller will try again. I have read, however, that if you call back, the phone call may be routed to a number that charges you for the call (like the old 900 numbers here in the US) and the scammer gets the money.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2019, 12:09:59 PM »
We never call back. We don’t even answer if the Caller ID doesn’t show it’s a known caller. They can always leave a message. We just wait a minute and see if there is a voicemail. Just answering put two pluses on your number. 1. It means your number is real. 2. It marks you as a “good mark” who actually will answer call. Since these calls are often computer generated, answering simply makes your number more valuable to those who may sell the list of “marks”!

“Just don’t answer!”
 :dntknw: :thumbup:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Larry

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://www.catchfriday.com
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2019, 01:21:13 PM »
Oh dear I called back....... lesson learned, thank you.