Author Topic: Anyone use Firefox?  (Read 790 times)

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Anyone use Firefox?
« on: June 01, 2019, 03:20:51 PM »
Chrome is my main browser, but apparently I'm going to have to switch to Firefox. Any suggestions on the best extensions / tweaks to install?

https://9to5google.com/2019/05/29/chrome-ad-blocking-enterprise-manifest-v3/

Running: 10.13.6 (High Sierra) -- and can't upgrade any higher.

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
Re: Anyone use Firefox?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 06:29:59 PM »
I use Firefox Developer Edition all the time, as it has the best tools of any of the browsers. Obviously, the add-ones I use are largely related to web dev. I have Adblock Plus, 1Password and a few others. There are several lists of “best extensions” out there which are worth a look to see which ones might be useful to you.

As for Chrome and this latest move, I can’t say this surprises me, given that Google seems to have abandoned any pretence of not being just another monster corporate entity whose only real interest is the bottom line. Ad blocking blocked the revenue stream from Google ads...ergo, ad blocking had to go. Mind you, more and more websites refuse to show you any content unless you disable the ad blocker, so it doesn’t matter which browser you use.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2019, 06:48:07 PM »
Mind you, more and more websites refuse to show you any content unless you disable the ad blocker, so it doesn’t matter which browser you use.
I’m noticing this. 😡  The worst sites are those who want to load several dozen ads before you read some simple article.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2019, 10:56:45 AM »
Sometimes the “request” to allow ads is just a threat. If the site is broken by not having ads, I just go elsewhere. I’m willing to actually pay a site if it means I can avoid ads. Apparently many folk (mainly youngsters) seem to think there really is such a thing as a “free lunch”.
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes: