Author Topic: Safari 15, reactions?  (Read 1861 times)

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Safari 15, reactions?
« on: September 21, 2021, 06:34:08 AM »
Safari 15 is now available. I have read positive and negative comments and would like some feedback from this forum before upgrading. Any reactions?
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Online Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: Safari 15, reactions?
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 05:09:49 PM »
Haven't made the upgrade yet. Here are some comments from TidBITS-Talk:
... absolutely hate having the Favorites Bookmarks under the tabs...

...One thing that I found to be a necessity was to go to Safari->Preferences->General and turn off ‘Show color in tab bar’...
I currently have 27 tabs set. I can't imagine what a horrible bunch of colors the Tab Bar would look like with that many possible colors! Even less useful than using the seven colors for files/messages/folders/volumes in Finder/Mail/etc. :wallbash:

Saw a screen capture of the new Safari Prefs. Seems there is a changed "Tab" option that doesn't sound good to me: "Automatically collapse tab titles into icons". That was previously "Show website icons in tabs". I've never liked icons for displaying real/useful info; big ones are space wasters, tiny ones are too difficult to differentiate/'read'/translate. :confused: Just something to watch for, not sure if this is a new default or just a label text change. :dntknw:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 02:22:35 PM »
After updating my clones as backups, I installed Safari 15. Everything seems to be working fine; no problems with financial websites (as has been reported with Safari 15 and Catalina).

I tried toggling "Automatically collapse tab titles into icons" and didn't see any difference, at least so far. I disabled "Show color in tab bar" and selected "Separate" from Tab layout (all of these are in the Tabs preference pane in Safari > Preferences). The last lets me have the toolbar and tab bar separate instead of combined. The Favorites bar is now beneath the Tab bar instead of on top (I can't imagine a good reason for this, but the Apple gods are inscrutable).

I haven't experimented with the other features yet but SWMBO dislikes change. Hopefully, my marriage will survive.
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2021, 07:52:43 PM »
I was reading this, thinking "huh??" and then realized I was using Chrome. Chrome has the tabs on top, then the address bar and then the favourites. I have no difficulty with it - obviously - since I'd really not registered that it was different from Safari...LOL! I use Chrome and Firefox most of the time for website development - and when browsing the web, Safari tends to have more issues with any sites that are badly coded, in my experience.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 07:20:34 AM »
I noticed the following changes in Safari 15, compared to 14:

1. In Safari > Preferences > Passwords, the interface is different. If you want to view a password, you don't click the dots but simply hover the mouse over them. The password shows, but the background is dark, making it difficult to read (perhaps a security feature to make it harder for people looking over your shoulder?). Also, the Passwords preference window does not time out as it did in 14.

2. I have (actually, my wife) many pinned tabs. Opening several new, unpinned, tabs moves them aside so it is easier to see the tabs that are open. This solves an issue that I always had in 14. Of course, getting my wife to unpin tabs is slightly easier than achieving peace in the Middle East. The colors of the pinned tabs are brighter, making it easier to see them.

3. The open tab is now darkened, making it easier to determine which one is open.
Jon

Online Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 07:44:01 AM »
#3. Yes, just the reverse of older versions. I always love flip-flops, keeps life entertaining. :wallbash: At least the background has more contrast than in v14. :dntknw:

#2. Also love the way tiny tabs start overlapping like a deck of cards, 'conveniently' making it nearly impossible on click on any of the slightly visible tabs. I suspect the "designers" always keep windows as wide as their screen. :blink:

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2021, 06:28:02 AM »
I just spotted this: Apple delivers Safari 15.1 beta for macOS Big Sur and Catalina I have no other information about any changes to Safari.
Jon

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2021, 09:51:16 AM »
1. In Safari > Preferences > Passwords, the interface is different. If you want to view a password, you don't click the dots but simply hover the mouse over them. The password shows, but the background is dark, making it difficult to read (perhaps a security feature to make it harder for people looking over your shoulder?).
The problem with readability of passwords can be alleviated by going to System Preferences > Accessibility > Display and unchecking Increase contrast As it turns out, I prefer to increase contrast so, unless this becomes critical, I'll keep it that way.
Jon

Offline daryl66

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2021, 01:02:41 PM »
I just spotted this: Apple delivers Safari 15.1 beta for macOS Big Sur and Catalina I have no other information about any changes to Safari.

SWMBO's  Safari 15 Catalina, started having issues with a particular financial website.No issues with Firefox and my old OSX High Sierra.  I chased around the various forums and Apple support sites trying what solutions were discussed with NO help. Decided to wait until 15.1 or at least until Monterey settles in and hope the gremlins go away. :wallbash:
iMac 27" OSX 13.7.1 2011 MBP OSX 10.13.6  MBAir OSX 13.7.1 c iPad IOS 16.6  iPhone13 IOS 16.6 iPhone SE IOS 16.6  and Watch 5

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2021, 01:55:11 PM »
My financial websites are not having any issues with Safari 15 and Big Sur. Is the problem only with a specific site? If so, might it be conflicting with any extensions that you have? To test this, disable extensions via the Develop menu when you access that site. If the Develop menu is not showing, you can enable it via Safari > Preferences > Advanced. The check box to show Develop in the menu bar is at the bottom of the window.
Jon

Offline daryl66

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2021, 03:18:05 PM »
My financial websites are not having any issues with Safari 15 and Big Sur. Is the problem only with a specific site? If so, might it be conflicting with any extensions that you have? To  test this, disable extensions via the Develop menu when you access that site. If the Develop menu is not showing, you can enable it via Safari > Preferences > Advanced. The check box to show Develop in the menu bar is at the bottom of the window.

Thx, Will give that a shot.   So far there is only one site she has complained about. (Unfortunately she does not have that many financial sites to visit.) :laughhard:

Daryl
iMac 27" OSX 13.7.1 2011 MBP OSX 10.13.6  MBAir OSX 13.7.1 c iPad IOS 16.6  iPhone13 IOS 16.6 iPhone SE IOS 16.6  and Watch 5

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2021, 06:37:24 AM »
Jon

Online Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2021, 08:22:51 AM »
“Always keep ‘em guessing!” :laughhard: :wallbash:

Offline daryl66

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 01:35:38 PM »
My financial websites are not having any issues with Safari 15 and Big Sur. Is the problem only with a specific site? If so, might it be conflicting with any extensions that you have? To  test this, disable extensions via the Develop menu when you access that site. If the Develop menu is not showing, you can enable it via Safari > Preferences > Advanced. The check box to show Develop in the menu bar is at the bottom of the window.

J
Thx, Will give that a shot.   So far there is only one site she has complained about. (Unfortunately she does not have that many financial sites to visit.) :laughhard:

Daryl

Jon:  No Joy. Disabled extensions.  Still not able to log into the website. Not a total disaster as there is a plan "B" which does work.

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 01:51:40 PM »
Have you tried the "Show settings for this website" icon? It looks like a gear. Uncheck Content Blockers and see if that makes a difference.
Jon