Author Topic: 1984 interviews with Steve  (Read 1092 times)

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
1984 interviews with Steve
« on: January 31, 2009, 01:57:15 AM »
In honor of the 25th Mac anniversary.

The Playboy interview is quite long but has some gems.

We’ve never worried about numbers. In the market place, Apple is trying to focus the spotlight on products, because products really make a difference. IBM is trying to focus the spotlight on service, support, security, mainframes and motherhood. Now, Apple’s key observation three years ago was that when you’re shipping 10,000,000 computers a year, even IBM does not have enough mothers to ship one with every computer. So you’ve got to build motherhood into the computer. And that’s a big part of what Macintosh is all about.

PLAYBOY: What about some of the smaller portables?
JOBS: They are OK if you’re a reporter and trying to take notes on the run. But for the average person, they’re really not that useful, and there’s not all that software for them, either. By the time you get your software done, a new one comes out with a slightly bigger display and your software is obsolete. So nobody is writing any software for them. Wait till we do it—the power of a Macintosh in something the size of a book!

If, for some reason, we make some giant mistakes and IBM wins, my personal feeling is that we are going to enter sort of a computer Dark Ages for about 20 years. Once IBM gains control of a market sector, they almost always stop innovation. They prevent innovation from happening.

Simple things like monitoring your stocks every hour or every day. When a stock gets beyond set limits, the computer will call my broker and electronically sell it and then let me know.

I’ll always stay connected with Apple. I hope that throughout my life I’ll sort of have the thread of my life and the thread of Apple weave in and out of each other, like a tapestry. There may be a few years when I’m not there, but I’ll always come back. And that’s what I may try to do. The key thing to remember about me is that I’m still a student. I’m still in boot camp. If anyone is reading any of my thoughts, I’d keep that in mind. Don’t take it all too seriously. If you want to live your life in a creative way, as an artist, you have to not look back too much. You have to be willing to take whatever you’ve done and whoever you were and throw them away. What are we, anyway? Most of what we think we are is just a collection of likes and dislikes, habits, patterns. At the core of what we are is our values, and what decisions and actions we make reflect those values. That is why it’s hard doing interviews and being visible: As you are growing and changing, the more the outside world tries to reinforce an image of you that it thinks you are, the harder it is to continue to be an artist, which is why a lot of times, artists have to go, "Bye. I have to go. I’m going crazy and I’m getting out of here." And they go and hibernate somewhere. Maybe later they re-emerge a little differently.

However this is something he didn't follow:

I think an interesting challenge in this area of intellectual inquiry is to grow obsolete gracefully, in the sense that things are changing so fast that certainly by the end of the Eighties, we really want to turn over the reins to the next generation, whose fundamental perceptions are state-of-the-art perceptions, so that they can go on, stand on our shoulders and go much further. It’s a very interesting challenge, isn’t it? How to grow obsolete with grace.

http://www.playboy.com/magazine/interview_...teven-jobs.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/138493/25t...59033:b21479507

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html...agewanted=print

http://www.macworld.com/article/138491/mac...44246:b21454085

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2009, 09:36:15 AM »
Great! But no "cheese-cake" shots?!!! And where's the link to the center-folds? nono.gif

BTW, who was that very young man in the pictures? eek2.gif Couldn't have been His Steveness because he wasn't wearing a turtleneck! And thanks for reminding me that he will always be younger than I am! Even back then! :oldmanwithwalker:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 12:57:17 PM »
There may be a few years when I’m not there, but I’ll always come back.

Prescient, no?

Amazing to think that it was only 25 years ago that the mouse was a huge innovation along with the GUI. I love this description: "and a “mouse” (a small rolling box with a button on it) to make selections on the screen" ...And don't forget 3.5" floppies...and white screens. Oh yes, I remember DOS and 5 1/4" floppies and amber or green text on black...certainly not pining for THOSE days! (nor the really awful clothing and hair of that era)
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 12:57:58 PM by Paddy »
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13