Author Topic: Affinity launches V2 with 40 per cent discount on all apps  (Read 880 times)

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Affinity launches V2 with 40 per cent discount on all apps
« on: November 14, 2022, 10:55:39 AM »

I can only offer the UK link... but our offer on UK site is 89.99 GBP; however since our wonderfully short-lived PM "improved" our lives the GBP is only a few pence different from the US dollar.
https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/

The discount tells only that the discount will be "time-limited". 30-day trial available.

For your money you get all three apps - Designer 2, Photo 2 and Publisher 2 - for MacOS and Windows.

Purchase the Universal License for access to all apps on all platforms, or buy individual licenses of the apps—it’s completely up to you.

I'm very tempted, but I need to find a convincing reason...  :toothgrin:  :whistling:

Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: Affinity launches V2 with 40 per cent discount on all apps
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 01:54:14 PM »
Are the Menus in English or American? :blush-anim-cl:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 02:17:21 PM »
"personalized" and "color"

The 'z' rather than 's' and the lack of a 'u' indicates they have been Americanized  :yes:

However the company is based in Nottingham, UK, where Robin Hood "worked"
Neil
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 02:38:38 PM »
Quote from: Neal
they have been Americanized
Probably hired some (American?) immigrant coders!! :Thinking: :doh: :whistling:

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2022, 09:16:25 PM »
On the Affinity website, I can get the spelling of color/colour to change depending on whether I go to the /en-us or the /en-gb version of the site (stick that in the URL - you'll see). Interestingly - there is no localization  for us Canadians - we just get served the US version of the site, though it DOES know that we're in Canada and shows us the pricing in Canadian dollars. Weird, since our spelling is mostly, but not entirely UK spelling - not US (exceptions: aluminium...which really is a strange one since EVERYWHERE else uses aluminium, not the North American "aluminum", "localize" and other "ize" words are preferred here, over "localise" which is more common in the UK and Australia, "buses" - not the UK "busses", "license" for the noun and "license" for the verb etc. It can be challenging when spellcheck keeps changing or insisting on the other version, LOL.

I have Publisher and Photo and both use Canadian spellings in the menus (colour, not color) - I assume because I have Canadian English chosen for my Mac in the language preferences, but in Affinity Publisher, because I do work for some US clients, I simply have "English" chosen in the spell check. BTW - if you look closely at the screen grabs on their website, they also have "colour" - when en-us pages are loaded and the text on the site is the US spelling. (swapping out the language is relatively easy - swapping out images to match local language would be a major pain).

While none of these apps are internet-related, some languages, such as HTML/CSS/PHP - are all written in English, with American spellings (having been developed in the US), and I think in the name of standardization, this has resulted in many software developers worldwide adopting American spellings as standard. It could get pretty messy otherwise. The main thing is to be consistent - Affinity apps are written in C++ and Objective C - neither of which has a lot of set terms, apparently.

BTW - Adobe Creative Cloud just serves up American English. They don't even have the option of British or Canadian English - it's just "North American English" - rather arrogant of them, eh? The other option is "International English" - whatever that is. However, within the apps like InDesign, in the spelling preferences you can select UK or Canadian English - but the default is US in the user interface as far as I can see.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2022, 09:27:54 PM by Paddy »
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2022, 05:09:57 PM »
Having used Adobe InDesign, Illustrator and Photoshop for 20+ years and still at CS6, I am trying to convert to Affinity apps. As a 70ish year old semi retired graphic designer  :D, I will not subscribe to Creative Cloud. I hear Adobe will no longer support Postscript fonts in 2023. Plus there are other issues that Adobe will not support Pantone colours?
It is a bit of a learning curve to make this switch. Simple ads and newsletter print designs in AF Publisher seem to work just fine. Haven't designed a multi page brochure or magazine yet.
I will now buy V2. It can only improve. It is a helluva lot cheaper.  My commercial printer told me to stay away from AF, but they are not used to it yet. Will see.
Adobe also peeved me off when they bought out Freehand and would not support it.
So, I need to use CS6 a bit longer. But I have another issue with CS6 that when I upgraded to a new iMac. Will post that topic soon as Adobe won't help on pre-CC apps.
27" iMac, 2017, 3.47 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1.03 TB HD,
OSX10.14.3 • 15" MacBookPro mid 2012, OSX10.14.3 • Mac Mini OSX10.13.6 • iPhone 11

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 05:35:20 PM »
In case you haven't made the switch to Affinity V2 (I have not, but I am not subscribed to anything at Adobe, anyway). I've not read this article completely, as I am not in need of an Adobe CS replacement, but it is written by someone with great credibility and it might help in your considerations (including subscribing to TidBITS!).

Consider Switching from Creative Cloud to Affinity V2

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2022, 09:00:46 AM »
I did purchase the Affinity apps and trying to learn them as a replacement for Adobe CS6 apps. It is quite a learning curve. I also purchased their work books which are somewhat helpful. It will take a while.
I think buying the V2 apps at a discount makes sense. Hopefully each version will be better than the one before. My concern is will the app be accepted by commercial printers? I asked Affinity if they would upgrade their workbooks/ They will not! Bummer. So, will the V1 workbooks help in learning V2 apps? Sounds like this may be like the old days of Quark Express when updated versions came out each year. Only difference now is the Affinity apps are very inexpensive. But do we get what we pay for? :Thinking:
OSX10.14.3 • 15" MacBookPro mid 2012, OSX10.14.3 • Mac Mini OSX10.13.6 • iPhone 11

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2023, 08:14:09 AM »
Update

The 40per cent discount runs until 25 January 2023; to buy individually they are:

Affinity Designer 2 for Mac OS or Windows, was £59.99, now £35.99
Affinity Photo 2 for Mac or Windows, was £59.99, now £35.99
Affinity Publisher 2 for Mac or Windows, was £59.99, now £35.99

All are one-off payments and no subscription. Price for all three is £89.99

Free V2 updates until V3.

The UK prices include 20% VAT (Value-added tax), so they may differ where you are. Today's exchange rate (Jan 10) to US dollars is 1GBP=$1.21 (Jan 10)

FAQs: https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/affinity-2-faq/

Neil

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2023, 12:11:43 AM »
Thanks XAirbusdriver. Very interesting article. Hit some of the same issues I have. Good to know there are others who hate Adobe’s CC model. I’m buying Affinity 2 apps. Too cheap not to!  :yes: