Author Topic: Annoying mouse behavior in Monterey  (Read 704 times)

Offline chriskleeman

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chriskleeman.com
Annoying mouse behavior in Monterey
« on: July 27, 2022, 04:12:32 PM »
So, I got my MBP 13" back from Apple last weekend and it has developed a very annoying glitch with the mouse. When it wakes up from sleep, the USB mouse won't work unless I unplug the dongle from the computer and plug it back in. then it will work again. It's about a 6 year old Letscom dongle that plugs into the Thunderbolt port.

Apple clean installed the newest version of Monterey, 12.5. This didn't happen on the version of Big Sur that I had installed in late April. I used Migration Assistant to move all my stuff back over from the backup drive.

Any bright ideas?

TIA,

Chris
Just a dumb guitar player...
My Website

Offline jchuzi

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: Annoying mouse behavior in Monterey
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2022, 06:03:58 PM »
Sometimes, the cable is faulty. Can you try another dongle?
Jon

macOS 11.7.10, iMac Retina 5K 27-inch, late 2014, 3.5 GHz Intel Core i5, 1 TB fusion drive, 16 GB RAM, Epson SureColor P600, Photoshop CC, Lightroom CC, MS Office 365

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 11:08:12 AM »
Assuming this is a non-Apple mouse, there may be an update for it from the maker? Maybe something to keep it "awake"? :dntknw:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline chriskleeman

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 12:32:53 PM »
Nope, no other dongle available.
My Website

Offline chriskleeman

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 12:35:22 PM »

No, it’s a cheap mouse I got on Amazon last year sometime, it’s always worked fine, I will try using another mouse and see what happens.  :wacko:
« Last Edit: July 28, 2022, 03:01:36 PM by chriskleeman »
My Website

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2022, 11:16:10 PM »
I was confused...until I Googled it. When you say "Letscom dongle" you're describing a Letscom hub - which has multiple USB ports. (I don't think I've ever called those "dongles" which I always think of as software protection devices...)

Why not just get a nice Bluetooth mouse and be done with it? No dongle, no adapter...I'd never buy a USB mouse now. I'm rather partial to my Magic Mouse, which came with the iMac and I don't use a mouse on my MBP*, but there are lots of bluetooth mouse options out there - Amazon has them starting at about $8.99 USD.

*Used to use a mouse on the MBP - but I've gotten so used to the track pad now that I never bother with a mouse any more. I just realized that it's probably been 3 or more years since I used a mouse with it! Of course, if I did a lot of photo editing on this thing, I might want a mouse. But photo editing gets done on the iMac - more screen real estate.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline chriskleeman

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2022, 02:27:51 PM »
Well Paddy, you are probably correct, it is more a hub, with connections for USB, SD cards, HDMI and a USB C or
Thunderbolt port. But I've pretty much called anything I have to plug into a computer to connect with a port that doesn't exist on the computer a dongle for a while now, but you're right, calling it a hub would have been a little more clear. So it's about 6 years old. The strange thing is that the little green light that indicates it's powered up from the Thunderbolt port is on and I still have to disconnect and then reconnect to get the mouse recognized. This didn't happen in Big Sur. This was one of the first "hubs" available when the Thunderbolt (USB-C) MBP's came out and everyone was scrambling for connectivity solutions.

I use a 27 inch 4K UHD monitor because, like you, I like the real estate available for multiple windows, and 4K resolution is native to the Thunderbolt 3 ports on the MBP. I like using a mouse because I have to go back and forth with my PC for music applications, and it's just easier to use for me as I've gotten used to left and right clicking over time.

Guess I should think about being in 2022 and look into gettiing a Bluetooth mouse...   :whistling: :toothgrin:
My Website