Author Topic: How can I "unlock" this (camera)  (Read 677 times)

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
How can I "unlock" this (camera)
« on: September 24, 2022, 12:45:39 PM »
Hi, Everyone! 

It's been awhile! ...had some major life changes but it's all good, knock wood.

One of my friends asked me for help. Can you imagine? As if I know stuff! LOL  :laughhard: Of course, I came right here even though it's about an old Kodak Easy Share camera (2005?).

I'm including photos of the flash memory card, which apparently cannot be unlocked because the little teeny tiny "lock" thingy broke off.  I tried putting masking tape over the area so it would maybe feel like it was unlocked to the camera, but nope. Then I tried good old Scotch tape.  Same thing, the camera wasn't able to access the photos...couldn't "read" the photos on the flash card. I even tried duct tape, which was too thick to slip into the place where the flash card goes inside the camera.

Any ideas on how to access photos?

Thanks for any help!
Smiles,
Sooz
Desktop iMac, running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, 16 GB installed, with Time Machine and SuperDuper! backup on two external hard drives...and I like to bake.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: How can I "unlock" this (camera)
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 02:59:49 PM »
Had to dig around a bit to even find the camera that used on of those!

My conclusion is that the 'lock' is merely a physical barrier that is seen by the camera/reader/etc. At least I could not move the lock with anything that could reach into the very thin gap/slot the 'lock' slides in. :inspect:

My conclusions were confirmed by several dozen YouTube vids showing ways to overcome this tragedy! You were almost there, but the 'trick' seems to be finding and securing a very small piece of matchstick/plastic/stainless steel to to place that was formerly occupied by that 'lock'! Take your pick:
None of these are more than 4 minutes, average about <2.

But most cameras using these card also have a mini-USB or other cable connector you can use. I've read posts from users that suggest it is safer (less damaging to the camera) to always use a cable. And it is also then easier to then re-format/erase the card while in the camera. :dntknw: I'm sure only the most important images in the world are in that memory card, correct?!! :Thinking: :thumbup:  :doh: :blink: :blueeek:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 03:21:38 PM »
Hi, Jim!

I was really trying to avoid doing that little piece of whatever ha ha, but I guess that's the next thing I'll try. I have a small paperclip, a toothpick, a bit of plastic from a yogurt container, scissors, an Xacto knife and different kinds of glue-adhesive.  Thanks for the links!

The images on the memory card are of my friend's art work. He's quite accomplished, and many of the works that were saved on the memory card were destroyed by a horrible fire--he escaped with his life and only the clothes on his back.

Thanks again!!!
Smiles,
Sooz
Desktop iMac, running OS X El Capitan 10.11.6, 16 GB installed, with Time Machine and SuperDuper! backup on two external hard drives...and I like to bake.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 10:05:14 PM »
Maybe a cloud storage solution might be in order for his art work images?!

Please #1: DO NOT FORCE THAT CARD INTO YOUR READER/COMPUTER! :blueeek: :eek: :blink: :nono: :doh: :coolio:

Please #2: 8 x 10, glossy prints of all that artwork would be nice. :Thinking: :Devilish: :whistling: :scram:

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 02:04:25 AM »
LOL !! He’s worse than I am with techy stuff! :eek:

I spent nearly an hour trying different ways to fix that memory card so it could be accessed by his camera. No luck at all.  Thanks for the caution to not force anything.Good idea about the 8x10 glossy prints!  Thanks again!  :)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 02:39:11 PM »
No luck at all.
But, BUT!!! Are you trying to tell me all those YouTube videoz are rong! If it was on the interweb, it MUST be trew!! :flail: :deadhorse: :complain:

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2022, 06:21:54 PM »
I agree, if it's on the internet, it MUST BE TRUUUUU ! :laughhard:

As a process of elimination, none of the videos yielded a viable result, so I'm back at square one.  We have George's Camera at 2 locations in this area and that's my next step. 

I figured maybe my own little Cyber-shot camera might be able to read it, but wouldn't ya know, the teeny tiny things were two different teeny tiny sizes!

Ah well, thanks for your input and stuff.  As I've said before, if you're ever out this way, I'll bake cookies for ya...unless you'd prefer lasagna.  :toothgrin:

Smiles,
Sooz

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 10:38:51 PM »
Sooz - have you tried a small piece of packing tape? It should work - it's a bit stronger than regular scotch tape. Also, maybe try it in an SD slot in a computer or with a card reader attached to a computer - just in case it's less fussy than the camera.
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Sooz

• Super Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2022, 02:18:23 AM »
Thanks Paddy! That’s the one thing I didn’t try, packing tape!  I don’t have a card reader and I am pretty sure my computer is so old that it doesn’t have a SD slot. :dntknw:
Smiles,
Sooz