Author Topic: migrating from old Mac mini to new  (Read 810 times)

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
migrating from old Mac mini to new
« on: November 27, 2022, 05:23:38 PM »
I have to migrate my wife's files from her 2011 Mac mini OS.10.13.6 to a 2022 one.
It tells me to first run latest version of macOS. If I do that, will it update to the latest OS or just what this old one can handle? I don't want to create more issues before I migrate to the new device.

Also, Apple tells me I can migrate her files and settings using Wifi and to follow certain steps on each device. How to do that with only one screen?
Do I just unplug the screen from the old to the new to follow directions and back and forth as needed? Do I shut the Mac off each time I make that change?
27" iMac, 2017, 3.47 GHz, 8 GB RAM, 1.03 TB HD,
OSX10.14.6 • 15" MacBookPro mid 2012, OSX10 .15.7 • Mac Mini OSX12.16.2 • iPhone 12

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: migrating from old Mac mini to new
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2022, 06:10:34 PM »
You can Screen Share the new mini from your MBP or, better yet, your iMac; more screen is always better! Ran a mini like that for several years before finally buying a cheap monitor. No need to turn anything OFF. You will have to enable Screen Sharing on the old mini. :toothgrin:

Which machine is telling you the “update”?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2022, 07:08:07 PM »
Not sure how to enable my MBP from the old mac mini? Here is the screen shot. How to do that?

Also, when I disconnected the monitor and keyboard from the old to the new, and started the new set up, the monitor resolution image was so low that I can't read any of the text. I even had to hard power down the new Mac mini. How to fix that?
Gees, I thought this was supposed to be an easy process!  :verysad:
OSX10.14.6 • 15" MacBookPro mid 2012, OSX10 .15.7 • Mac Mini OSX12.16.2 • iPhone 12

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2022, 10:14:33 PM »
Not sure how to enable my MBP from the old mac mini?
You "enable" Screen Sharing in each computers System Prefs before you actually share anything. Go back to the Sharing section of your old mini (connected to a monitor and keyboard, of course) and put a check mark in the Screen Sharing. Also enable File Sharing while you have that mini accessible. Write down the vnc:// "url" (red text below) that shows in the text just below the green dot and the "Screen Sharing: On". Mine shows the following:
Other users can access your computer’s screen at vnc://192.168.0.183/ or by
looking for what-Ever-You-Named-Your-Old-Mini in the Finder sidebar.
Your actual IP number will likely be different, of course.

Now, swap the monitor and keyboard to the new mini and do the same steps as above.

Next, follow the above steps in the MBP and the iMac.

Now, any of your computers (when they have a keyboard and monitor attached) can share the screen of any other computer you have. Sorry if I have confused you. Try this Apple Screen Sharing Support page for their instructions.

Check the Display section of System Prefs for help in selecting the scale settings for your new mini. Apple Display Settings Support page (Be sure to select the correct OS on that computer).

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2022, 04:19:34 PM »
Xairbusdriver,
So, I was finally able to migrate files from the 2011 Mac mini to the new mini (OS12.6) via Wifi. I had to use an LCD projector as a monitor for the new mini with an HDMI cable and the LG monitor for the old to work both displays.

After that, I hooked the LG monitor to the new mini with the existing VGA cable & HDMI adaptor, but the resolution on the monitor is so coarse, the text is barely readable. I had to re-hook the LCD projector to go through the mini's start up settings.

Then I rehooked the new mini back to the LG monitor and the screen stayed black. Nothing readable. Even though the monitor power light was on. I retried all this and the monitor came back on in the previous coarse resolution mode. Very hard to read anything in System Prefs. Any idea how to get the monitor working properly with the new mini?  :wallbash:

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2022, 04:54:01 PM »
Any idea how to get the monitor working properly with the new mini?
Yep! Screen Sharing, again. Use your iMac to look at the screen of the new mini, you did set Screen Sharing enabled on all your computers, right? On your iMac access the new mini's screen. Open System Prefs on the mini, try different scaling choices. Screen Sharing make go blank/black while the mini makes the changes. Be patient.  :toothgrin:

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2022, 11:15:37 PM »
It's totally not working for me after hours and hours at this today!
I have enabled sharing on both my MBP and iMac. I cannot see the Mac Mini on either device. The only place I find the Mini is in the side bar - LOCATIONS/NETWORK/MAC MINI. When I double click that icon, I get a blank window and it says "not connected."

The only place I can see a normal resolution of my new Mini is by using an HDMI cable to my LCD projector. Everything looks and works great on my wall! I can scroll my mouse and add text like I should.

When I connect the new mini to the LG monitor with the HDMI cable and adaptor, all I get is a very poor resolution screen that goes beyond the edges. If I have to try another SCALED number in System Prefs/Display, I have to disconnect from the monitor and connect to the LCD. It shows many resolutions available, and they are not the same as your screen shot. Is there ONE magic setting, or is there something I still am not finding?

Also, after 5 minutes the LG monitor goes to black (sleep?), and I have to hard reboot the Mini to get back to the low crappy resolution. For a split second the Apple logo shows on the screen in its proper resolution. And then I have to re-enter my Wifi password.  :mad:

« Last Edit: November 29, 2022, 02:48:24 PM by Raven »

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 05:59:39 PM »
I “suggested” that you enabled Screen Sharing” on ALL your computers, not just one or two or three. You can only see the screen of one computer on another computer if the screen you want to see has screen sharing enabled.

Secondly, did you view the Apple Support links I gave earlier?

Lastly, many monitors will have a set of resolutions available. Those should show in the “Scaled” section of the Display pref. Please remember individual System Prefs will vary from one computer to the next, even if both are running the same OS version. I have only Catalina and Big Sur. I cannot see or speak to any OS older (or newer) than those.

I suggest you stop trying to use Screen Sharing for a while and concentrate on getting the monitor to work on the new mini.

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2022, 11:27:08 AM »
Let's go back to basics here. Give us the model number of the LG monitor. It may be time for a new monitor - using an HDMI connector with an adapter may in fact be the issue. What sort of adapter are we talking about here? VGA to HDMI? (ie: is this thing a relic? Sorry - but no point in beating around the bush on this. ;) )

Which Mac Mini have you got? M1 or Intel? (and which model if M1 - the earlier one only supported ONE external monitor, apparently)

See: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/guide/mac-mini/apd8e4fbbb97/mac - they recommend VGA to USB-C

And might want to read this too: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/very-old-monitors-with-my-mac-mini-m1.2366607/

I think you're just asking for trouble if this monitor is VGA only. But anyway - let us know.

If it's a monitor that's the same age as the old Mini, then you can spend under $200 and get something that will likely run circles around it now - with no connectivity issues. $300 will get you a 27 or 28" 4K. (see Amazon.ca)
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Raven

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2022, 08:50:15 AM »
I did call Apple Care and went through several options. In the end, they determined the old LG monitor with a VGA cord and HDMI adaptor would not work. Had to buy a new monitor which works very well. My wife is happy. But had I known that in advance we could have paid for a new low end iMac instead of a mini and a monitor! Go figure.  :D
One frustration is these constant changes in cords to connect and power Apple devices. I have a pile as I am sure others must have. I understand there is a movement in Europe(?) to standardize cords. Hope they do.