Author Topic: Apple ID to access App Store  (Read 1925 times)

Offline Jack W

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
Apple ID to access App Store
« on: December 04, 2018, 12:54:50 PM »
When I attempted to log onto the App store this am (Snow Leopard v10.6.8) 

No snide remarks please, SL Was the best OS that Apple came out with.

It does all that I need out of an os, with no obfuscation.

continuing saga:

Are you paying attention Xadb ??, it came up with a page for login and it brought up a login page:

Xadb !!!: - It had your email addy in the ID window !!!!
Along with an empty password field

I corrected the ID to my email addy and entered my ID password.

It came back telling me I had an invalid password.

I could not log in.

Then, I subsequently received an email with a validation code.

What the hey do I do with that validation coe?
I tried appending it to my password in that field --- Nada

WHAT do I do to succeed in logging in to the App store???
Good to be Here.

My Macs: 2010 27" alum iMac 2.8GHz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Mavericks 10.9.5, 4GB SDRAM (Workhorse),
13” Late 2010 MacBook Pro 2.4GHz, 10.6.8, 2GB SDRAM,
(2) External HD - Firewire/USB Macally Enclosures  with 1TB Hitachi Drives,
Time Machine external drive - ditto above - 1/2 TimeMac

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
Re: Apple ID to access App Store
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2018, 05:17:14 PM »
WHAT do I do to succeed in logging in to the App store???
First, stop using my addy! :stop: :rant: BTW, exactly what addy are you claiming is mine, anyway... (you can PM me with that)

Second, what Apple ID and password do you have stored in your password manager (assuming you have one) or in Keychain (if that's all you have)? OK, don't actually post those here, just look them up and make sure that is what you were using.

Third, try using another app that needs/uses your Apple info: iTunes, iCloud (in System Prefs?), etc. Can you use the correct ID and password there? Do you have an iPhone/iPad? Can you sign in there?
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Jack W

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:19:29 PM »
Update:
I ran OnyX and rebuilt permissions, now I at least get myApple ID on the sign-in page instead of Xabd's.

HOWEVER, same old same old, I received a new verification code with the instructions:
"Type your password followed by this code into the password field on your device"

Should there be a space between my password and the code?
I've tried it both ways with no happiness.

Also the code is 059 726   Do I also need the space between the two groups of numbers?
Good to be Here.

My Macs: 2010 27" alum iMac 2.8GHz, Snow Leopard 10.6.8/Mavericks 10.9.5, 4GB SDRAM (Workhorse),

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 10:46:03 PM »
Did you see my questions comments after your first post?

Are you sure those messages are coming from Apple?!

At any rate, you should not be typing in two things in one field. There should be one field for each item or even two pages/screens for entering the two items. It's been years since I've seen this kind of resetting in SL, but it may have been different way back then. What I've seen is the desktop displaying a code and my iPhone showing the same number.

I think you are in an apartment, so I'd suggest turning WiFi OFF while performing this. Some of the most important changes in the OS has been in the area of security, so you are running with a system that will soon no longer getting those updates/improvements, if it isn't already received the last ones.

Please answer the questions/suggestions asked last time and post some screen captures of the dialogs of the window asking as well as the windows showing the code. We don't need to see the codes, you can redact them. It's the wording we need to see.

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2018, 11:29:13 PM »
Apparently you're supposed to put it in with no spaces - password, followed by verification code.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7715564

The Apple forums are down for maintenance right now but there may be something useful there (a few things came up in Google, but couldn't see the actual threads...)
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline Jack W

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 07:54:49 AM »
Thanks  :thanx: for responding Paddy - I will try that the next time I get a new code.

Xadb:

My AppleID is my email addy
My password is none of your business :whistling:
Your email addy that came my way was xairbusdriver@?? if I remember, perhaps something with Apple in it.
I didn't write it down at the time

Jack
Good to be Here.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 10:15:46 AM »
OK, I'd still like to see a screen capture of any dialog that tells you your Apple ID is wrong. I still gripe at Apple calling this anything other than an email address. It sounds like it is something different... maybe that password! "It certainly must be something other than a simple email addy, otherwise they'd just call it that!"

I'll check Paddy's links, perhaps some one on the forums posted an image of the dialog requesting the two different items in one text box. Certainly no problem parsing the last 6 characters as the code they knew they sent. Just seems completely different than any other system I've ever seen or heard of: If you'd been using the correct addy, adding the code only proves the person using that addy also got the code! :blink: :wacko: So do they then generate another addy for you?!

I assume the real problem is the password, which they should then have sent back to you. Changing that "Apple ID"/email address is widely used by them to  cross-connect all your software and hardware, it's not a trivial matter like changing a password.

I think the only time I've ever been asked to enter that addy is on a erased and re-installed OS, mainly because my Apple ID is always already populated in any dialog that needs that and my password. But I'm certainly no power user . The iDevices are slightly more tedious since they don't seem to store either personal info.

Offline Jack W

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 04:54:58 PM »
Per the link that Paddy posted, I was able to successfully sign into the App store.

login shows Apple ID and empty password field

As the article said, I entered my password followed by the Verification Code with NO spaces between - Bingo, I was in.

Then I tried to download Yosemite and guess what !!!, it came back with - - - -

ANOTHER App Store sign-in form with xABD email addy and empty password field  !!

What The Hey !!!

And to boot the spinning color wheel of death, which would not go away, nor the sign-in box, even  after I force-quit the App Store !!!!

What The Hey !!!

In a couple of days after I have rested, I will attempt the download again, and if history repeats Jim, I will get a screen shot & message or email it to you.

Just really Weird !!!!
Good to be Here.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 07:18:35 PM »
if history repeats Jim
And report this to Apple. Something sounds extremely fishy.
if history repeats... I will get a screen shot & message or email it to you.
OK, I'll remove/block out the addy and post it. We need to share the window for all the folks who may see this. That's pretty much the whole point of TS. :yes: :) :thumbup:

I will also suggest you search Keychain and any password manager you may be using for that email addy. I have several, one with 'mac.com', two with 'me.com' and one with 'icloud'. The "official" one is the 'mac.com', the others are aliases.

Most importantly, please tell us how you are entering the addy and password:
  1. Addy automatically populated, but text box waiting for password.
  2. Using a password manager (automatically or Copy&Paste).
  3. Using Keychain (automatically or Copy&Paste).
  4. Manual typing.
  5. Other (please explain)

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2018, 10:01:23 AM »
After reading the whole 8 page thread on this problem, it becomes obvious that there are different solutions for different combinations of OS, hardware and apps. Some solutions require using the "back" and then "forward" buttons on the iCloud part of System Prefs. Another solution simply requires closing the iCloud Pref by opening another pref (any!) and then closing that one and re-opening the iCloud Pref. Yet another solution has the operator completely close System Prefs. Yet another solution... you get the picture (I hope). Did Snow Leopard even have an "iCloud" System Pref?!

The thread is also a great example of the problem of using a thread to find a solution. First, rarely do the posters supply enough details; where does the problem occur (what app), which OS, what hardware, what exact steps are being used, what actually happens at each step, etc. Second, there may be multiple "solutions" that only apply to particular situations even though those situations are not explained. This leads to folks following instructions that simply do not apple to them. Likewise, when they attempt a previous "solution", they usually refer to "it" only vaguely and rarely even mention the name of the post who offered it or when. Third, posters rarely report success and even when they do, they may not be specific about what actually worked. Finally, threads become way too long and disjointed to read much less coherently understand. :wacko:

My main take from the thread is that the instructions and steps are completely non-intuitive and poorly described. :wallbash: