Author Topic: I have landed in Florida  (Read 1435 times)

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
I have landed in Florida
« on: October 16, 2020, 07:20:51 PM »
My daughter and I landed in Florida this past Tuesday. It was a great trip across the country. We drove 4043.5, visited 12 states, slept in a wig-wam, ate some delicious food, saw the old London Bridge, the Grand Canyon, Painted Desert, Petrified Forest, meteor crater, the Cadillac Ranch, the big cross in Groom, TX. Visited Old Town Albuquerque; stayed at the Gaylord Opryland Resort; stopped for lunch in Russellville and took a photo for my grandson, Russell. We spent a night in Gatlinburg, then on to Savannah where we stayed in the historic Marshall House and had ice cream at Leopold’s. Our last day we took the trolley tour of Savannah (where I saw Warren park dedicated to General Joseph Warren who was a distant relative), then headed home.

I'm currently staying with the kids while I wait for my house sale to come through. Oh, and I'm buying a different house. I'll explain later.

States we visited:
Oregon
California
Arizona
New Mexico
Texas
Oklahoma
Arkansas
Tennessee
North Carolina
South Carolina
Georgia
Florida

Offline Highmac

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
Re: I have landed in Florida
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 02:35:37 AM »
Time difference gives me best chance to be first to congratulate you. If I can beat Kris...

Glad you had a safe trip!
Neil
MacMini (2018) OS10.14.6 (Mojave). Monitor: LG 27in 4K Ultra HD LED.
15in MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) OS10.13.4 (High Sierra);
15in MacBook Pro (2010), (ex-Snow Leopard); now OS10.13.6 (High Sierra); 500GB Solid-State SATA drive; 4GB memory.

Offline Frances144

• TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • http://www.myshetland.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 07:10:18 AM »
I am glad you moved safely. It will be lovely to be near your family.  Many congratulations. An epic adventure ,indeed.

Offline jwboyd

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
    • http://
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 09:04:39 AM »
Thanks for the travelogue. I've seen some of those places. When we were at the Meteor Crater, a fellow visitor remarked, "These people don't know a tourist attraction from a hole in the ground!"

Wishing you the best as you get settled in your new home.

Joe
I'm not a complete idiot -- a few parts are missing!

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 11:11:40 AM »
When we were at the Meteor Crater, a fellow visitor remarked, "These people don't know a tourist attraction from a hole in the ground!"
:laughhard: Funny. At both the Grand Canyon and Meteor Crater I looked at my daughter and said "It's just a big hole in the ground." HAHAHA

Offline jwboyd

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2020, 01:58:44 PM »
People say the same thing about "the world's largest hand-dug well" in the county-seat town of Greensburg, Kansas. It really is rather impressive, 32 feet in diameter and 109 feet deep. Dug originally to provide water for the railroad's steam locomotives, it was for many years the town's only public water supply.

Offline Xairbusdriver

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
  • 27" iMac (mid-17), Big Sur, Mac mini, Catalina
    • View Profile
    • Mid-South Weather
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2020, 05:20:41 PM »
Glad to hear we don't have any problems, Houston! Certainly disappointed that you didn't at least call when you came through Memphis!! :mad: :unsure: :dntknw: We had planned for you to buy us a nice lunch/dinner at one of our favorite places! :clap: :yum:

Hope your purchase of a different house is completed before you have to pay too much for storage! Perhaps you've earned some time credits with those 'travel miles'!!! :rofl:
THERE ARE TWO TYPES OF COUNTRIES
Those that use metric = #1 Measurement system
And the United States = The Banana system
CAUTION! Childhood vaccinations cause adults! :yes:

Offline Paddy

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
    • https://www.paddyduncan.com
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 06:53:51 PM »
Well, I'm glad you've landed, Kim - and hope the house switch isn't too stressful and that you've found a new one close by. Having gone through one house sale that fell through (on the sale end...due to a very careless real estate agent in Oregon) leaving us with two houses for the better part of two months, I can sympathize - moving across the country is quite exciting enough without any more unexpected events! Sounds like you had quite the trip, despite the pandemic, too. :)
"If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into committees. That'll do them in." ~Author unknown •iMac 5K, 27" 3.6Ghz i9 (2019) • 16" M1 MBP(2021) • 9.7" iPad Pro • iPhone 13

Offline krissel

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 04:53:20 AM »
Wow, that's quite a trip!  Beats my walk to the mailbox each day. :D

Hope the new house is not too far from family. I'm sure you'll settle in and enjoy your new environment no matter what.  :thumbup:

A Techsurvivors founder

Offline kimmer

• Administrator
  • TS Addict
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 05:58:31 PM »
Thanks, all. Jim, we did wave as we drove by. :rofl:

New house is right next door to the kids! The owners both were in failing health, and the house needed to be sold asap due to their finances. The oldest daughter told Denise, and she told me when she landed in OR. We talked and prayed and made an offer while we were on the road. All papers were e-signed. Change in loan is in the works and should be done shortly. I already have the keys and Mike is painting and fixing.

My OR house had an offer before it hit the MLS, and is now in a bidding war! It depends on the appraisal who will buy it.

I'm learning to drive the kid's car while Denise is out of state on a previously planned trip with my grandson. Life will seem dull once everything is settled.  :clap:

I'm enjoying daily thunderstorms, sleeping with a snoring puppy, and spending time with son. All is well.

Offline jwboyd

• Super Duper Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2020, 06:34:57 PM »
Things do have a way of working out, don't they? Enjoy!

Joe