Archives => 2006 => Topic started by: Xairbusdriver on July 20, 2006, 04:48:59 PM
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Xairbusdriver on July 20, 2006, 04:48:59 PM
I finally succomed to my wife's pleadings that we sign up for Skype. She has a fellow State organization member with whom she will be talking to several times a month. The lady has Skype already.
From what I can see, Skype is basically an iChat on steroids. It's really an IM with phone capabilities. And just like iChat ( an all other IM's ), I don't know how to find another user. Skype apparently can find someone if you know their name ( screen or real ) and iChat can probably do that as well. But real and/or screen names or not widely publiched, generally..."catch-22".
So, is there anyone here who is willing to lead me by my sweaty hand? I'm sure headphones would help, anything to keep feedback down, but I've had no problems with iChat audio/video connections, sound-wise.
If you're willing to help, send me a PM and we can set up a mutually convenient time for a connection.
In the meantime, what are any 'gotcha's' we need to look out for? Tips you've learned? Things to avoid ( with Skype! ).
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: kadams9181 on July 20, 2006, 05:17:07 PM
I've got it. I signed up only because all computer to land based phone calls are free until the end of the year. My mom lives 250 miles away, so our weekly communication is now free (at least until years end).
We don't have the 'Skype In' functionality, which allows people with phones to actually call my computer, just 'Skype Out' capability.
I'm not sure what the per minute charges are, but, I think it's less than Vonage. So, it you are looking at a VoIP alternative, Skype works well, and is cheaper than the competition.
One thing though, three way calling doesn't work well unless you've got a very fast connection (I'm on a WISP).
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: swhitset on July 20, 2006, 05:31:07 PM
I too use it for the Skype out capabilities.
It is nice when I am feeling lazy. I sometimes have the Macbook pro on my lap sitting in the chair. If I need to make a phone call I just make it from the mac.
Steve
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Xairbusdriver on July 20, 2006, 05:32:03 PM
QUOTE
I'm on a WISP
I hope that's not as uncomfortable as it sounds! I think I remember the info suggesting that a multi-party connection should plan on using the fastest computer to initiate the calls. Same thing with iChat, I think.
Yeah, I remember seeing the "free" till the end of the year teaser. I guess I could use that to test the sound quality/ease-of-use thing.
I'm not sure we'll ever use the landline mode. I'm not about to drop the landline we have now. 911 is too important to give up, IMHO.
Do you use any add-on mic's or headphones with either computer-to-computer or SkypeOUT?
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: swhitset on July 20, 2006, 06:01:27 PM
I use my iPod earphones and the Macbook pro's built in mic. A headset would be better, but at least with the earphones you eliminate the echo of the mic hearing the speakers.
I wouldn't use Skype as the only household phone, but for now, it is free long distance to anywhere in the U.S. and another option at no cost (provided you have a net connection).
Steve
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: jcarter on July 20, 2006, 07:34:26 PM
I got Skype long ago when I wanted to communicate with our Caribbean friends, Belize and Costa Rica. Even tho my cell phone plan is free in USA and most islands.
Skype had an echo that was very annoying, and you had to say "over" to change who was talking, which is not a problem. So I kept upgrading when they sent emails, and its really nice now. But its important to know that I use SkypeOut which connects to land line and cell from your Mac. Ive never used Skype to Skype. I had to purchase an iMic from Griffin, to get the sound to work correctly. You cant use your regular headset that you use for your landline. You have to get one that will work with the Mac. I had problems, as that was before they started to advertise the ones that would work properly. The Skype Mac forum was very helpful. Now, its just fine, I use it when I want to call anywhere. I have never used iChat or any other IM system, so I cant help with any of those.
I would not suggest giving up your landline for Skype nor your cell phone. We cant even think of that, as all our kids friends and our whole family rely on it to get messages thru when all else fails. The kids and friends do travel worldwide. My brother is off to Fiji, so thats another reason. GO for it! Jane
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: kadams9181 on July 20, 2006, 08:02:24 PM
You must use headphones or the party on the other end will hear the sound from your speakers causing the echo that jcarter refers to. With 'phones on, there is no echo. There is a slight delay, after you speak something before the other party hears you.
I've got a headset, actually, which has a mic plus headphones, but, for some reason, the mic doesn't work in my computer, so I just use my plaintalk mic with the headphones. (it must be some of those headsets jcarter's referring to)
The quality is very good, but, when network traffic, is heavy, you will hear some audio artifacts, at times, but not enough to be annoying.
I don't think I would replace my conventional land based phones, but, at least for the time being, all long distance calls made from my house are done through Skype.
It's really not bad at all.
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Xairbusdriver on July 20, 2006, 09:16:36 PM
OK, I'll look around for a pair of headphones, bound to be some around here someplace...
As long as Skype-to-Skype is free, I'll stick with it as it's really for my wife. That's the sole purpose of getting it, anyway.
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Epaminondas on July 20, 2006, 11:29:14 PM
Milady uses Skype all the time.
Ya canna get her off it.
Danger! Will Robinson! Danger!
Do you really want your wife to disappear?
Think about it before you do this.
It can be like giving firewater to an Indian brave . . .
----------------------------------------------
I bought her the least expensive headphone/microphone we saw - was it $20? - she seemed happy with it in the store - and she took it from there -
Her computer - an old dual core 2.8 MHz Intel Pentium D, 1 GB RAM, Windows XP. We are on cable.
Impressions:
(1) Computer to computer, each with headphone/microphone combos and each on cable - the clarity is extraordinary. Much clearer than the clearest conventional telephony - more highs. It makes the conversation more pleasurable - as if you are in the same room.
She reports one instance of echo - she asked the person on the other end to turn down the volume of her microphone and the echo disappeared.
(2) Computer to computer, one on cable with headphone/microphone combo (US), the other on a telephone modem and a desk microphone (Poland) - sound is good but not spectacular. All this with the addition of a jerky videocam picture from Poland - not too shabby as a telecam at what was probably 14,000 - 36,000 Kbs.
(3) Computer (US) to conventional telephone (Poland) - fine. Sound comparable to a conventional telephone call.
(4) Computer (US) to cell phone (Italy) - fine, but not at all cheap.
I watched her set Skype up out of the corner of my eye, anticipating that she would need my help to set it up.
Nope. Piece of cake.
Wtih the choice of Skype or a regular telephone, she seems to prefer Skype. I asked her - she seems to be happy going with whatever is cheapest.
She says that the conversations have been perfect within the US but she has had glitches on perhaps one out of every three or every five conversations when calling overseas - a few words get lost, that sort of thing - sometimes to the point that she has to end the call. She points out that that also happens on conventional telephony when calling overseas. She attributes these glitches to Polish phone lines.
I just asked her - she would not give up the landline for two reasons:
(1) 911
(2) Sometimes our cable modem doesn't work.
I hope it all works out for y'all -
Epaminondas
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: jcarter on July 21, 2006, 06:17:56 AM
Yes, Skype is great. There is only one thing that keeps me from using it instead of the landline a lot, that is with my landline phone, I hook it onto my belt and use the headphones. And can go anywhere in our house and at least an acre of yard, and have hands free to weed garden, do laundry, cook, wax truck, whatever. With Skype, I am tied(wired) to the computer and have to stay in this room while talking. Maybe thats good, cuts down on talk time! Jane
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: sandyman on July 21, 2006, 08:16:41 AM
Epaminondas
QUOTE
Ya canna get her off it.
Danger! Epaminondas! Danger!
You are in danger of acquiring a Celtic accent.
QUOTE
canna
I've used it on OSX and Windows to call friends Computer to Computer without any problems so far. I've always used the built in microphone on the laptop and the iMac plus headphones.
A friend uses Skype Out to call his Dad in South Africa and he swears by it. The sound quality is apparently as good as using his landline and the call costs are a LOT lower
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: sandbox on July 21, 2006, 10:03:17 AM
They work in stereo over USB and recommended by the pickiest headset/voiceover people. Can be used as just headphones for iTunes when the Mic is flipped up.
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Xairbusdriver on July 21, 2006, 01:45:57 PM
Thanks for the equipment info, I'll check those links ASAP. Anytime you can decouple the speaker and the mic, you should get better and louder sound output before feedback. It's always a balancing act at church; some can't hear ( and refuse to wear hearing assistance earphones bought especially for them ) while others complain about too much sound. But that's the fun part of 'running' the sound board!
Jane, you're welcome to come visit and do all the work you want out back and in front, as well. We have a couple of phones that have a headphone jack, just bring yours along. I'll even settle for a nice wash of the two vehicles, no waxing required!
E, there are many things a wee bit worse than an Irish/Scotish accent. Aye! And not many tings better!
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: jcarter on July 21, 2006, 02:35:49 PM
Hi Jim, Ill be there! Actually I do love the gardening and whilst on the phone its great to pull the weeds and do some of the trimming with the hand clippers.
I haven't looked into wireless computing yet, as with little grandkids and pets, I want all my computers inside one room so I can close it off. But I was thinking that if I get another powerbook, wireless might be nice. So that made me think, perhaps Skype could be set up so that this would work? Maybe next winter, I will explore how to do this, I think a friend transmits his iTunes to his stereo? Yet, I am not a TV watcher, and having a smallish house, I would want to avoid the TV area(living room) when the thing is on. I retreat to the computer room, especially when the kids are watching the movies or sports.
Wireless, yes, I will think about it someday. Jane
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: sandbox on July 21, 2006, 02:37:54 PM
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Xairbusdriver on July 21, 2006, 05:49:21 PM
Man, I've had the most unsuccessful internet 'shopping' experience ever. While several places offer either the ".Audio 45/DSP 200" Plantronics ( recommended at MacSpeech, whose site is under-construction while being moved, so not all links work, sorry for your troubles! ), not even the Plantronics site has any useful info on it ( older, discontinued model? ). I'm not impressed with the folding design, these things are delicate enough without having three hinges to break.
Then there is the ".Audio 500", again, lots of places selling them, but no one can provide much info. One would think that any USB capable mic, that does not need a sound card, should work with a Mac. ( Why would one have a computer without sound? )
I found a reasonably good price for the Audio 45/DSP 200 at <HeadsetZone.com>, but I don't see any way to actually order the thing! Even with all javascripts enabled in FF. Safari doesn't fair any better. I click on the only link anywhere near the item and get an empty shopping cart page. There are some very small "select" icons on the link page, but they don't seem to be links. Not an encouraging start for a sale!
Another site, actually a seller on eBay, has a great price, but he is in Hong Kong while the product ships from Maryland. Seller has one star and seems to be the only one selling this headset. eBay already has two strikes against it, IMHO...
I'll just wait till I can get Judy to try calling her friend and see how the operation fits with what they want. We'll just use the iBooks mic and any headphones I can find. If all works with ease and reliability, we'll consider purchasing one of the Plantronics headsets. I know they are a good company, but they sure are proud of their products, especially their aircraft headsets!
BTW, Jane, I saw several models of wireless headsets, they'll cost a lot more, but you might be able to at least sit in another room, if not garden with them. Depends on what freq and the type of radio used. I think I saw one that uses the 'standard' 900MHz range of mobile land-line phne sets.
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: jcarter on July 21, 2006, 06:25:04 PM
900MHz is what our land line is. So it would probably interfere. But I really dont need that yet. I will stick with the tied-to-the-computer, Skype. And my landline yard work phone. Whoops, I forgot the cell phone, its great too. But we bought it for travel, so I try not to use it all the time at home, tho weve got plenty of minutes that we never use.
On to the Plantronics headset, I threw the box away, and the only thing on the headset itself is the brand; Plantronics. And the iMic. I got this stuff long ago, so the boxes and info are not here anymore. Try the Skype-out Mac forum, perhaps they would have the latest model numbers of the headset. I am dumb at this stuff, wish I could be more helpful. Jane
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Al on July 21, 2006, 08:08:00 PM
Did anyone check the price for SkypeIn? It's only $38.00 a year. That's only a little more than my MONTHLY phone bill.
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Xairbusdriver on July 21, 2006, 08:51:14 PM
QUOTE
900MHz is what our land line is.
That shouldn't be a cause for interference. Most phones use at least 9 'channels' on that band. When you turn them on they automagically select a channel that is not in use nearby. That usually assures that you don't end up listening in on a neighbor. Same would apply with a 900MHz headset and your local landline phone. They will mutually avoid selecting the same channel, even if they are both on at the same time.
Al, why would anyone have a phone in 'paradise'?! Oh yeah, I remember; you may not actually be able to see the North Shore surf if you live too far away... And it's also great for allowing 'visitors' to get directions to the nearest Long's for teeth wax!
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: jcarter on July 22, 2006, 09:50:44 AM
Just got the Sept issue of Caribbean Travel and Life, and on page 100 is a good article on Skype and other software for calling from out of country. Here is their chart, http://www.pixentral.com/show.php?picture=...7UrYVp1eMzzaCc1 Its a fairly long article, and also goes into the info about GSM triband phones and other stuff. If anybody here wants it, I can scan the rest of it and pixentral it here.
Quite a while ago, when we switched to Cingular, we wanted to be able to call back from Anguilla. So when I called Cingular, they had no clue. I was so frustrated with their tech support. Got some help from several forums, including the Anguilla travel one. So I sort of knew what to ask for. Finally I got somebody after about 30 calls who knew what I wanted, and knew that it could be done, she helped me set up a FREE addition to our account for calling back from the Caribbean. So convoluted, but finally we did it. After blowing up one SIM card, and got it replaced at the local Cingular store for free. You can also purchase phones from the local Cable and Wireless offices for a month. There are lots of options, and let me know if anyone would like this article. Jane
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Xairbusdriver on July 22, 2006, 11:24:54 AM
Thanks for the offer, Jane, but you might want to check the copyright and/or restrictions on reproductions of articles in that magazine. They ( and their lawyers ) might not appreciate your 'friendliness'.
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: jcarter on July 22, 2006, 12:10:10 PM
Oh, goodness, I never thought of that. I think they have a website whereby we can read the article. Thank you, Jane
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: george on July 22, 2006, 03:06:31 PM
ABD, type my name in the search area and see what happens, I have been using Skype with my non mac friends, the mac version gives audio only. George
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Xairbusdriver on July 22, 2006, 04:09:25 PM
QUOTE
the mac version gives audio only
WHAT?! There goes my excuse to buy an iSight, assuming those things are still sold! Missed that "gotcha" when reading the info. Ah well, lessens the danger of frightening small children...
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Xairbusdriver on July 22, 2006, 04:57:12 PM
Just had a call from kbear via Skype. Sound was great. I had my external speakers plugged in and he could not hear me until I unplugged them. Apparebtly that was somehow cutting out the built-in mic as well as the built-in speakers.
I tried searching for you George. Used what I thought was your last name and even tried with a couple of email adresses I have for you. Nothing seemed to work. I did find a tonne of "Georges" in Great Britain, but none that I could establish as positively you. I'll leave Skype running for a few hours, but don't bother if it's not a free call. If it costs, I'll just try to call you as those calls are supposed to be free this weekend, at least from this side of the pond. But you can PM me with a more precise Skype name or the email address you have as an aid to making the contact.
Anyone else ( on this side of the water ) can try me at xairbusdriver on Skype. I now have a cheap pair of headphones available. I really want to verify that the mic is cut out when anything is plugged in to the headphone jack...maybe the Sound pref pane/Help will have that info...
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Xairbusdriver on July 22, 2006, 06:06:25 PM
IT WORKS! Even with external speakers or cheap headsets! Even with my wife!!
Got a call from kadams ( Thanks! ) and realised the sound was still connected via the speakers, yet he could hear me fine. My wife then signed up and called her friend with Skype ( on a PC, no doubt ) and they talked a while. Now she thinks I'm all hyper about it and is taking the credit by asking me to "do it". I'll just let her gloat a while...
She said she didn't see any advantage or reason to spend $50 on a headset when the cheap headphones worked so well. I guess we can apply that money toward the new TV. The one in the Den just died yesterday. Judy claims our younger GrandDaughter 'watched it to death'! I may try taking it to a repair shop, could be just the power supply, but the thing must weigh 100 pounds! :sweat: I'm not sure I can get a forklift in the house... We may now have to go to the bedroom to eat our TV dinner's!
Oh, BTW, mention my name when you sign up for Skype and get a free cup of coffee at FourBucks! All you have to pay for is the cup: $4.95 + tax!
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: swhitset on July 22, 2006, 08:13:50 PM
Actually, I believe there are already betas of the latest mac version floating around that include Video for mac as well. So... I don't think it will be to long until the Mac version officially supports video.
Steve
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: Parker on July 23, 2006, 01:18:29 PM
i use both skypein and skypeout as well as skype to skype with my jabra bluetooth headset
LOVE SKYPE
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: kadams9181 on July 23, 2006, 03:57:44 PM
I enjoyed chatting with you the other day.
Concerning the headset, I guess 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
I don't know what the sound quality was on your end, but on mine, it was excellent. I look forward to talking with you again.
Title: Skype for Mac
Post by: antony on July 25, 2006, 09:13:06 AM
WHAT?! There goes my excuse to buy an iSight, assuming those things are still sold! Missed that "gotcha" when reading the info. Ah well, lessens the danger of frightening small children...