Techsurvivors

Archives => 2006 => Topic started by: krissel on October 12, 2006, 02:51:27 AM

Title: Google officially supporting Macs
Post by: krissel on October 12, 2006, 02:51:27 AM
http://www.macnn.com/articles/06/10/10/goo...nches.mac.blog/


http://googlemac.blogspot.com/
Title: Google officially supporting Macs
Post by: Gregg on October 12, 2006, 07:35:17 AM
Good news! thumbup.gif
Title: Google officially supporting Macs
Post by: kimmer on October 12, 2006, 02:47:40 PM
Just for reference, to use the "Google Search History" widget, you need a gmail acct, and you have to activate the "save search" feature.

Their attitude is a delightful change from what I just saw at a crochet software site:
QUOTE
Q. When will SymblCro run on the MAC?

A. I have no plans to port SymblCro to the MAC.

Can't tell you what I think, cuz it's not nice. wink.gif
Title: Google officially supporting Macs
Post by: danf63 on October 12, 2006, 04:52:55 PM
That's really good news.  I just downloaded the Picasa exporter for iPhoto.  I may not renew dot-mac again.  Between the Google mail and Picasa Web upgrade to 6 gb for $25, I'm may not have a reason.  The biggest problem is what to do with the mail I have stored on my dot-mac mail account (a lot!).

Dan
Title: Google officially supporting Macs
Post by: Xairbusdriver on October 12, 2006, 05:33:52 PM
QUOTE
The biggest problem is what to do with the mail I have stored on my [whatever] mail account
That's what most email providers hope you'll do. It is a great way to keep you using their address. But it also places your emails at the whim of that company. If the stuff is not important enough to download, why keep it? If it's important enough to keep, why leave it somewhere you may not be able to get? When it gets to the point of being nearly impossible to review, you may end up dumping stuff you really wanted to keep.

ABD (Pot calling the kettle black) blush-anim-cl.gif

As for Google "supporting Macs" what's the big deal? They are supposed to be a web-based service. We-based means using standards and making things available to anyone with a computer. Period. Isn't it about time Google did this? As well as for Linix, Sun, etc. I'm not sure they deserve any kind of praise for finally doing what they should have done from the beginning. That's like praising MS for creating a secure OS. smile.gif
Title: Google officially supporting Macs
Post by: danf63 on October 12, 2006, 05:46:27 PM
QUOTE(airbusdriver @ Oct 12 2006, 10:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the stuff is not important enough to download, why keep it? If it's important enough to keep, why leave it somewhere you may not be able to get? When it gets to the point of being nearly impossible to review, you may end up dumping stuff you really wanted to keep.


In the Apple Mail program I can search instantly with Spotlight, even the stuff that's stored online.  Having it online also meant automatic backups.

Dan
Title: Google officially supporting Macs
Post by: kimmer on October 12, 2006, 06:22:28 PM
Dan, I read yesterday about a way to import your dot-mac web based mail to other places. I'll go through my history and see if I can find what it was.
Title: Google officially supporting Macs
Post by: jcarter on October 12, 2006, 07:56:00 PM
I am also reluctant to give up my old .mac email, plus I have many many albums there.
Some of those pictures I want to still have on the web.  For just 100 bucks a year,,,,,
I will have to think about it.
I do like their services.  But other things are competitive now and almost as good.
I am glad you are talking about this, yes Google is amazing.  
So much good stuff, how do we choose and decide?
Jane
Title: Google officially supporting Macs
Post by: danf63 on October 13, 2006, 08:20:37 PM
I started using Google's Docs and Spreadsheets today.  Microsoft Office responds much faster since it's right off the hard drive, and Word has a lot of features that Docs doesn't, but for me, just saving things online makes it worth it (even though the "save it online" concept" has kind of limited me in dot-mac).

Dan
Title: Google officially supporting Macs
Post by: jcarter on October 13, 2006, 08:45:05 PM
Its my picture albums that I do want to keep, and the email.
Jane
Title: Google officially supporting Macs
Post by: Xairbusdriver on October 15, 2006, 05:03:32 PM
QUOTE
In the Apple Mail program I can search instantly with Spotlight, even the stuff that's stored online. Having it online also meant automatic backups.
First, I don't care for Mail. Eudora searches everywhere in my collection of messages. Second, I've never seen Spotlight do anything useful "instantly" smile.gif ( useful searches usually take time ). Third, you can't use a backup if it's not accessible ( if my on-computer backups aren't accessible, I won't be able to get on-line, anyway ).