Archives => 2006 => Topic started by: MrsLop on October 25, 2006, 08:21:25 PM
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: MrsLop on October 25, 2006, 08:21:25 PM
Greetings All, They're here.
Thanks to Paddy, I now have a new HP Deskjet 5740 and a Linksys 2.4GHz Wireless-G Broadband Router 802.11g with four port switch. The Model # WRK54G
I set up the HP 5740 using the Instructions and then used the CD to do the install. I did not set up a network. All I did was plug it into the USB Port as a direct connection - for now. This enabled me to see if the printer was working properly, before venturing out into the world of networking and printing from the internet. Since most of our documents were only accessbile through Classic, I printed from OS 9.2.2. This was relatively painless and I was able to print.
The "Networking Adventure" is where I really need help, because I get totally lost. If you were following my other thread you know how hard I tried to get the hub connected so that I could use my Personal LaserWRiter 320. So, I'm not afraid of trying or of a little hard work. I do have the setup CD ROM but not the User Guide for the Linksys. I haven't even tried the setup CD, yet.
I will be doing the setup after I finish this post and will probably be back to let you know what the result was.
I hope that you TechSurvivors with far more experience than I can assist me in this new adventure as it unfolds.
Blessings and Prayers, MrsLop
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: MrsLop on October 25, 2006, 09:52:53 PM
Is Anybody Out There?
The CD didn't apply, as I suspect that it was designed for Winodoze users only.
Instead I used the Quick Installation guide. Following all of the instructions, I have again been unsuccessful in connecting to the internet.
The instructions in the above mentioned guide : NOTE For more advanced settings and security options, refer to the User Guide on the Setup CD-ROM.
Does anyone have any suggestions or information?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Blessings and Prayers, MrsLop
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: krissel on October 25, 2006, 09:53:20 PM
Hi Myrna,
Dropped in from my folks' house to see if the stuff arrived and I see it has.
What are those documents you are printing? Are they Appleworks? If so you should be able to open them from X. IF they are from an earlier version AW will open a copy of the original and when you go to close, it may ask if you want to save them again in the newer form. It's not necessary but probably a good idea.
Likewise you should be able to print from X. Go through the same procedure you did before in the Print Center Utility to Add Printer. It should show up in the pull down. That printer's drive may already be in X's install.
As to the router and networking I'm going to defer to the others who have experience with Linksys. I imagine it's the same for most routers but there might be some little quirk of which I'm not aware.
Won't be online for a few days so I hope when I come back you will be all set and happily surfing and printing.
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: chriskleeman on October 25, 2006, 10:57:04 PM
Hello Myrna,
Don't use the Lynksis set-up CD, it does not apply to Mac users. As far as the "Quick Installation Guide" that only applies to Windoze, as well, in most instances. Part of the problem may be that your cable modem and your router need to have different IP addresses, but someone more qualified than me needs to make that call. For the moment, are you printing ok?
Chris K
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: MrsLop on October 25, 2006, 11:25:40 PM
Good Morning Chris,
How are you doing nightowl?
Yes, the HP is printing just fine. I had to set it up in both Classic and in X.
I am trying to find out more about this router thing. I guess I should google it, maybe someone else has had this same problem. It could even be my settings.
Love, Blessings and Prayers, Myrna
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: Highmac on October 26, 2006, 02:20:06 AM
IF they are from an earlier version AW will open a copy of the original and when you go to close, it may ask if you want to save them again in the newer form. It's not necessary but probably a good idea.
Might be an idea to "Save as.." the newer version (assuming nothing has been altered), maybe with just an X added, so if the worst happens you still have the original rather than overwriting it. Just a thought....
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: Paddy on October 26, 2006, 08:51:41 AM
Hi Myrna...
As I noted in an earlier PM, it's a pretty straightforward setup. Unplug your modem, connect the router to the modem and to your computer, but don't plug it in - leave it powered down, and shut down your computer. Wait a couple of minutes. Plug in the modem and wait for the lights to stabilize (stop flashing madly). Then plug in the router and wait for its lights to stop flashing madly. Then start up the computer. In the system preferences, under Networking, click on the Network Status drop down, select "Built-in Ethernet" and see what it says. Under TCP/IP it should say Configure "Using DHCP" and you should have an IP address that is something along the lines of 192.xx.xxx. If that's all ok, you should be good to go. You can also check to see if you can get to the router's control panel via the IP address: 192.168.1.1. Just put this into the address bar of your browser (Firefox works better than Safari for this, if memory serves) with no "www" etc. and if all the network connections are ok, you will get there.
If you don't, please let us know what you do see and we'll take it from there.
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: MrsLop on October 26, 2006, 02:44:27 PM
Greetings Paddy and Chris,
According to your directions, I am now up and running on the router and internet! i can print! That's the good news.
The bad news is, when I tried to access my Linkssys Control Panels I forgot my name and/or password. ( I was doing this in the wee hours of the morning and I thought I would remember my entries.) Is this a lethal error concerning things like security? If so: Is there anything that I can do? Do I have to do this whole installation for the router all over again?
Your suggestions, would be greatly appreciated.
Blessings and Prayers, Myrna
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: Xairbusdriver on October 26, 2006, 04:02:25 PM
QUOTE
when I tried to access my Linkssys Control Panels I forgot my name and/or password.
Did you actually change them from the factory settings?
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: MrsLop on October 26, 2006, 04:53:44 PM
Evening to you ABD,
Well, I didn't really the first time; because I didn't realize that I could do security measures to protect my network from invasions of the wireless snatchers.
What I did do (this time), was to reset the Linksys from the little button on the back, go through the whole process of re-entering all of the data and used the wireless security settings and wrote everything I did enter down. So, now I "feel" protected, whether or not this a reality, I do not know.
How would I know if someone was snatching my wireless connection?
Blessings and Prayers, Myrna
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: kbeartx on October 26, 2006, 05:23:38 PM
Myrna,
if you changed the password from the default and enabled security, there is very little chance that anyone will piggyback on your network.
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: Xairbusdriver on October 26, 2006, 05:46:30 PM
QUOTE
entering all of the data and used the wireless security settings and wrote everything I did enter down.
Now just don't forget where you put that paper! Maybe you could encrypt it and place it on your computer with a name that you'll not remember what it's for and delete it a few years from now and still not be able to access the router because you can't remember where the paper is that has the info you need...
I must admit that I have not changed that stuff on my wired router. But I suppose a hacker with a lot of time on his hands could get past the router until he gets to the OS X firewall...probably not the most secure fw, but more than most hackers will bother with, assuming they get to my IP number, which is not constant, anyway...
I also will admit to using the same password on almost all sites that need them. Assuming someone where to determine that pw for a particular site they would still be hard pressed to find all or any of the other sites I access with it. My philosophy is to keep things as simple as possible. Should I discover that the word has been compromised, I shall change it everywhere. How, exactly I would even discover that it is 'bad' is another minor mystery; I suppose an attempt to visit would result in a failure, assuming that the word was changed or my info would be altered. I simply don't use the internet for banking nor financial matters other than purchases and that only on 'secure' ( https ) sites.
Not suggesting that you change or adopt my lazy, reckless approach, but remember the computer is there to do your work, not the other way around. ( and there are, of course, programs that allow you to record as many passwords and what their for as you might want - just don't forget what the password for that program is! )
You already have the most secure consumer computer known to man, don't worry excessively about security needs. OTOH, be aware of what and where you do things on the internet, especially via email! And make sure the security features built in to the OS are, in fact, enabled.
Oh yeah! If you get a wireless router, all the above does not apply! Nail that baby down with every security feature you can get!
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: MrsLop on October 26, 2006, 09:20:59 PM
XABD,
Of course it's a wireless!
Myrna
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: chriskleeman on October 26, 2006, 10:36:01 PM
Hi Myrna,
Glad to see you having such a good time for a change!
Do enable security if you can on that router! There are menu options in the router to do that, and if it's wireless, than it's a very good idea, especially if you live in a crowded area!!!!
I am so happy that you are up and running like you should be!
All the best,
Chris K
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: MrsLop on October 26, 2006, 11:47:51 PM
Hello Nightowl, aka Chris,
In less than 24 hours of having received the HP and router, I am now all set up and running all devices!
I googled security on WiFi and wireless networks and got a blow by blow description and laymans terms on security features tonight. It's been a real education already.
Besides, I now have my gold medal for mental and physical gymnastics in connecting and reconnecting devices.
I am so happy and relieved! Tom was very pleased to see the printer working; and even more so, when I successfully got the router connected properly.
He admitted to trying out the B&W in the wee hours to see how it worked. He was able to access and open his documents in OS 9, but not in OSX. He will probably experiment with using his beloved little iCab. I downloaded v. 3.0.3 for him and placed the copy of his Hotlists that I got using the zip from the PowerMac 4400. He can get to the internet, print from the internet and work to his heart's content now.
He may even forget about the Personal LaserWriter 320 after awhile. He really liked the print quality of this machine.
I will definately have to get a reference book on Panther. Tom is very good at using systems and experimenting with new apps. I'm sure that in a few months he'll be showing me some features that I didn't know existed.
Now I can finally do some research and get up to date info from the American Cancer Society et al...
I just knew it was going to be a bumpy ride for a little while, with set up and learning to use new apps. Fortunately, my TS Angels have been very busy.
Off to get some well deserved
Love, Blessings and Prayers, Myrna
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: chriskleeman on October 27, 2006, 08:42:06 AM
Now we're cookin'!!! Nice job Myrna!!!!
Paddy, thanks so much for getting her the printer and the router!!!
This oughta make Krissel jump for joy!
You go girl!!!
Chris K
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: Gregg on October 27, 2006, 12:19:38 PM
Another TS success story...
Next?
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: MrsLop on October 27, 2006, 02:22:30 PM
Greetings All,
Ok. We're up and running using the Router, the HP Deskjet and connected to the Internet.
...Still, I am wondering and wondering how to get the old Personal LaserWriter 320 up and running. Can I use the Farallon to connect to the hub and then to connect to the Linksys? It should work now with this Linksys or do I need any other cables, wires or cards to install. I broke the clips on my Ethernet Cable doing all the "gymnastics" of fishing cables and wires behind my computer desk hutch. Methinks I have to make a trip to Radio Shack or CompUSA to buy another Ethernet Cable...
Has anyone tried to connect their old printer this way without an Airport Basestation?
Your replies are appreciated and ,
Blessings and Prayers, MrsLop
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: krissel on October 28, 2006, 03:27:29 PM
Hi Myrna,
Terrific news!
Just a quick stop in to post here, will be back tmrw I hope.
If you haven't already, plug the Laserwriter into the Farallon, then that into the router. Skip the hub, not necessary as the router suits the same purpose only better. You may have to go through a power down and up routine to see the printer in the Chooser for 9 and Print Utility in X but that's about it. Since it was seen before the router was introduced to the equation it 'should' work.
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: MrsLop on October 28, 2006, 04:35:40 PM
Kris ,
Kris to the rescue again! I just followed your directions and it worked and I am absolutely thrilled to the core!
I just told Tom (very low key type person) - he is grinning from ear to ear. He said, " I thought I detected an old familiar sound." As the LaserWriter churned out pages of text of this topic. He is concentrating on entering grades for his students right now, so I didn't want to distract him.
and Amen to this printing " Adventure" at last!
I can't thank you enough, Kris. Anything to keep Tom happy. Now we can have a choice between the black and white for most of our printing and color for special things like cards etc.
Love, Blessings and Prayers, Myrna
PS: Tom has been playing on the B&W. Entering data, using AppleWorks, iCab, FireFox and Safari, playing a game and checking his email. Before long he'll be cruising along on OSX and
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: krissel on October 29, 2006, 10:24:40 PM
Ah, that put a final cap on this story.
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: Gregg on October 30, 2006, 07:42:47 AM
PS: Tom has been playing on the B&W. Entering data, using AppleWorks, iCab, FireFox and Safari, playing a game and checking his email. Before long he'll be cruising along on OSX and
and?
Title: "The Adventures of MrsLop Resume"
Post by: MrsLop on October 30, 2006, 08:50:21 AM
Good Morning from Sunny Rhode Island, Gregg,
I don't know what happened to the rest of my post....?
"and given some time, he will be showing me features, shortcuts etc... that I never knew existed."
Tom has always used Windows at school; and his experience on PCs spans at least ten years. The school has designated him the Windows troubleshooter in the past. With that designation came workshops and additional conferences to increase his knowledge of PC's. Coincidentally, in 2003, the thought that a Mac was preferable to a PC began to grow. Our ISP was invaded by the worms. He checked in at the school and found that the open pipeline ISP, had rendered any computer that had been left on, useless. That was a costly and very unfortunate way of learning a lesson. There I was cruising along on the PowerPC 4400 during the whole invasion. That was a true AHA! moment. So, Tom began using the Mac and really enjoyed the experience. He used it for all of his work - oersinal and school related. That Summer, while I was exhausted after Chemotherapy and Radiation treatments, there he would be, right in front of the Mac.
So, the adventure begins for Tom, as well. Blessings and Prayers, Myrna