Techsurvivors

Archives => 2006 => Topic started by: Frances144 on December 10, 2006, 11:45:44 AM

Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Frances144 on December 10, 2006, 11:45:44 AM
Well, we had a Mac "expo" here in Shetland - it was fantastic.  I was so happy and could have moved in.

Anywho, I played about with a 20" iMac which was lovely and I want, I want, I want.

I would put extra RAM in, probably 1gb or 2gb in its beautiful little slots (oooh it was gorgeous).  Any recommendations as to how much RAM?

So, next question, do I buy it from Apple UK with a slight discount (from refurb), do I shop local (and pay going rate but same as Apple UK) or do I search Ebay for the bargain of the year!?  I think it will be shop local as you have to support these guys.

Also, I would only use this 'puter for my film and photo work. iBook would remain doing the wp, net, etc;.

So excited......
Fx
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Gregg on December 10, 2006, 02:58:18 PM
That's what I'd do. But, can't count on "like father, like son" applying to my oldest. He's thinking about a MacBook now, figuring he can get by without an ISP because there are so many wifi "spots" in town. I dunno. dntknw.gif

I'll bet you're excited!
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: kelly on December 10, 2006, 04:43:43 PM
IMO. Buy it from your local Apple Shop. smile.gif

Not worth a little savings if any from e-bay.

The e-bay Warranty isn't that good.

You've waited long times for it to go to Apple UK and back.

2 GBs minimum for what you'll do. smile.gif
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: kps on December 10, 2006, 06:32:44 PM
Agree with kelly 100% !! Two gig of RAM fer'sure and do support your local Apple guy....you never know when you'll need post sale support.

I was hoping you were going to spring for a Pro Tower, but hey, the iMac is nice and should be OK for iMovie and iDVD.
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Paddy on December 10, 2006, 07:14:15 PM
Good choice, Frances. IAWK on the RAM - as much as you can afford. There's no such thing as too much RAM!

I think you'll find it a huge step up from your iBook, particularly when everything is available in a Universal Binary version. (So...start saving your pennies for software upgrades - Adobe should be coughing up CS3 some time in the first half of 2007!)
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Dick Miller on December 10, 2006, 11:52:18 PM
I would go with the 2gb, also 500gb HD and the upgraded graphics card.

 

PS. You'll love it.

 

Dick
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Frances144 on December 11, 2006, 01:42:53 AM
Why would you upgrade the graphics card?

Also would you have a 2.16GHz or 2.33GHz?

Thanks
Fx
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Highmac on December 11, 2006, 04:34:10 AM
For extra memory, check out Crucial or Kingston from Cancom.

Still running my iMac G5 on 512MB Ram, but have read lots of reports on Crucial being a lot cheaper but just as good as Apple; I've found Cancom a reliable supplier of other items by mail order but don't know too much about Kingston. However, I would expect a reputable retailer like Cancom to know what they are doing smile.gif

I too would go with your local retailer, especially given your location - if you have a problem, he just might be able to lend you a machine if yours goes in for repair. At the very least, you've got someone to talk to on the spot rather than some "helpline" on an 0870 number smile.gif
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: jepinto on December 11, 2006, 06:49:35 AM
Deal Time UK has price comparisons.

That said......go with the local guy.  I also live in a remote area and the times I've wished for a shop closer than 60 miles.... let's just say children ought not to be around me when one of those problems occur.
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Frances144 on December 11, 2006, 09:02:54 AM
Horns of a dilemma now!

1.  Local apple man is 60 miles away (3 hour drive one way and a ferry), so not that local.  Also when my iBook died, he would not take an interest, did not support me in helping me deal with Mac and I had to deal with Mr Jobs myself.

2.  There are some very nice deals on the Apple Refurb site (ok, not huge, but still a saving) - including:-

Refurb iMac 20" 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/ 1GB/ 250GB/ SD/ ATIX1600-128MB/ BT/ AP - Apple Certified
• Save 14% off the original price
Original price: £999.00
Your price: £868.99
(£739.57 ex VAT)
Ready to ship:
8 days
Free Shipping
 
Refurb iMac 24" 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/ 1GB/ 250GB/ SD/ 7300GT/ BT/ AP - Apple Certified
• Save 13% off the original price
Original price: £1,349.01
Your price: £1,179.00
(£1,003.40 ex VAT)
Ready to ship:
8 days
Free Shipping

Sort of going towards the 24" now, though it is one big screen and my desk size is limited.

I phoned Apple, spoke to very nice Darren who gave me his private line! and he said the actual footprint (?) is the same so I should go for the biggest one (24") and upgrade the RAM.  Darren also said that there would not be alot more up for refurb sale (this was about as good as it gets).

Or do I buy completely new and get the biggest and the best?, which does add up a bit - ie lots of RAM, hard drive, graphic card, faster processor, etc. I just don't want to be running out of memory and power in a year like I am now! and having to go shopping again.  
False economies I hate.

So there we are?  Now what?

At least if I deal with Apple direct, they have to take an interest if it all self-implodes.

Fx
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: chriskleeman on December 11, 2006, 09:53:38 AM
Hi Frances,

IMNSHO, bigger is better for all that you are wanting to do; ie; especially any video work. Faster is also better, but the speed difference between the 2.16 and the 2.33 will probably not be that noticeable with the frontside bus speed of 667 Mhz. If the footprint on your desk is about the same for the 24" machine, and you can afford it, by all means go for it!!! Especially for graphics and video editing. There are models available with 256 GDDR3 SDRAM available, I can't imagine you'd ever need more VRAM than that! coolio.gif

If you're local Mac guy is a loser, then I would definitely think seriously about a refurb or a new one directly from Apple, along with AppleCare. That way, you are assured of at least 3 years of operation with support and repair from Apple, and can ship your machine off if it needs repair, and not have to deal with the disinterested local chap if your computer needs service.

And remember, if you need more storage, and have to take the HD included with the refurb iMac,  you have a Firewire 800 Port on that, along with USB 2 ports, and Firewire 400, which should give you plenty of very fast connectivity to any external Firewire or USB drive, all of which are pretty cheap these days.  thumbup.gif

As far as RAM goes, it's much cheaper to get it from those links that are posted already in this thread, and it's relatively easy to install, and the guarantee is really the same! That being said, make sure you find out what's in the computer, most of those iMacs ship with 2 512 MB modules filling up both RAM slots. So, if you can have Apple load the RAM into a refurb, it may be worth it in the long run if you want the full 3 GB.

A lot to consider for sure, but take a deep breath...

I would definitely try to get the biggest bang for the buck (oops, Pound..) but take heed of your  statement of "False economy" and get what you need!

Good luck, happy hunting, and all the best!

Chris K toothgrin.gif
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Paddy on December 11, 2006, 10:07:40 AM
Tough decision there...

Here are some comparisons - not EXACTLY what you're considering in that the 20" processor is the slower one vs. the new 24", but should give you some idea of the speed differences inherent in the latest and greatest vs. the slightly less recent:

http://www.macspeedzone.com/html/hardware/...06/11-19a.shtml

More comparisons:

http://www.macworld.com/2006/09/firstlooks...bench/index.php

http://www.barefeats.com/imcd3.html

Generally, yes, you will see some speed increase (anywhere from 2% to about 10% depending on what you're doing) with the newest iMac. But - will it matter to you? I'll bet that it will be so much better than what you're using now, that it won't really matter. If you go with the refurbed 24", the graphics card is better than the one with the 20" - even if you buy the current 20". And that screen real estate is to die for. You can have two pages of text open side by side - or photos and text - it's really, really wonderful.
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Frances144 on December 11, 2006, 10:13:22 AM
Thanks for all your help and replies.

Do you think the refurb 24" will do the job or do you think a new 24" with the most of everything?  and then I will be set for life (or for a while at least)?

Fx
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Paddy on December 11, 2006, 10:59:40 AM
I'm sure the refurb will do the job - but what's the price difference? You're looking at a 2-10% speed difference in some applications, faster frame rates in games, but not a LOT of difference. If the price difference is small, go for it. If it's several hundred pounds, you'd probably be better served by investing in a nice new big external HD. smile.gif Or upgraded software when the time comes for that...
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Frances144 on December 11, 2006, 11:25:34 AM
Right:-

New Best 20" with improved CPU, 2GB RAM, Graphics card up to 256, and HD 500gb = £1,479
New Best 24" with improved CPU, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 256, HD 500gb = £1,582

Refurb 20" (bottom spec) = £868
Refurb 24" (bottom spec) = £1,179

Oooooh, I just don't know.
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Dick Miller on December 11, 2006, 11:51:52 AM
If you can afford it go with - New Best 24" with improved CPU, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 256, HD 500gb = £1,582, you wont be sorry.
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: D76 on December 11, 2006, 02:58:13 PM
Frances, this might affect your decision to buy a refurb Mac, let alone a new one. It's a story at The Register.
QUOTE
Take a hike, Mr Jones

In a manoeuvre distinguished by both its stealth and audacity, Apple UK has discontinued its mail-in repair service without notifying its customers or, it appears, its resellers.
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Frances144 on December 11, 2006, 03:21:01 PM
I never even knew they had a mail-in repair service that Apple paid for.

I always sent the iBook (courtesy of my bank account) to a repair centre in Scotland.

Are they saying that if your 'puter, under warranty (and Applecare) goes wrong, they will not repair it?  Or are they saying you have to get it to their repair centre and they will repair it?

Fx
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: D76 on December 11, 2006, 03:27:15 PM
QUOTE(Frances144 @ Dec 11 2006, 04:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Are they saying that if your 'puter, under warranty (and Applecare) goes wrong, they will not repair it?  Or are they saying you have to get it to their repair centre and they will repair it?
As I read the story, you'd have to take it to their repair centre, then pick it up. I don't know whether you could get around that by sending it to someone in Scotland who could take it in.

I hope this decision (if true) costs Apple sales. Pulling such a stunt is bad enough. Doing it on the sly is unconscionable.
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Frances144 on December 11, 2006, 03:50:21 PM
But I live 400 miles away from the nearest Apple Centre plus a 14 hour ferry trip.  They can't do this.  This totally makes me think again about a new Apple.  Won't they let me post it to them and then they post it back to me.  That is what I have always done.

Off to PC World now.

Fx
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Gregg on December 12, 2006, 07:34:53 AM
Decisions, decisions...

Do what your gut tells you. And enjoy!
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: chriskleeman on December 12, 2006, 08:03:17 AM
Frances, have you called your contact at Apple to confirm that story?

Stranger things have happened!

I for one hope that it's not true! tears.gif  

Chris K
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Frances144 on December 12, 2006, 08:46:25 AM
I did it!!!!!

I bought, from Apple UK (over the phone):-

1.  A iMac 20" with 2.33 Core processor, 2 GB of RAM, 256 Graphics, 250gb hard drive (he said using an external HD was cheaper than upgraded internal one), and AppleCare.

2.  Got sold a printer, for free (£60 cash back)
3.  Bought a Airport thingy to work all the computers from.

I asked about the mail-in scheme not working anymore and he said that if you bought something direct from Apple UK, Apple would arrange (and pay) to collect it if shit happened.  He explained that if you buy from a third-party, ie Apple re-seller, or dealer, ie a Channel, then that is where you cannot send it back, which I think will make life very difficult for all the authorised Apple dealers.

And then he knocked off nearly £300 off the total price!

Happy, happy, happy.  It arrives apparently at the end of December.

I am very excited!

Fx
PS Could not go for the 24" as there is just not enough room on my tiny desk.
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Gregg on December 12, 2006, 12:07:58 PM
Way to go! You did it! clap.gif

Time to eusa_dance.gif
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: Parker on December 12, 2006, 12:12:10 PM
i agree with the installing ram yourself part

i've seen the guys in the apple store take the back off of the iMacs many times
pretty easy to do
and the hole burned in your pocket will be smaller than if you bought the ram directly from apple
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: jepinto on December 12, 2006, 01:05:49 PM
QUOTE
iMac 20"

Leader! clap.gif clap.gif
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: krissel on December 13, 2006, 06:08:22 AM
Congrats!  thumbup.gif
Title: I think I've made my decision
Post by: kelly on December 13, 2006, 06:59:17 PM
Good deal Frances. Hope you get it soon. smile.gif