Techsurvivors

Archives => 2007 => Topic started by: RHPConsult on March 01, 2007, 11:31:50 AM

Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: RHPConsult on March 01, 2007, 11:31:50 AM
I've previously shared herein my recent and prolonged agonies of tech (non)support at ATT and Earthlink, while attempting to upgrade phone and internet connections. I'll not revisit those distressing memory traces.

Comcast has now been installed (VERY easy) and has been in place (SPLENDID functioning) for a couple of weeks - cable, phone, ISP. In the case of the phone service, Comcast has some bells and whistles that are neat advances over "traditional" arrangements, notably on-screen records of calls made, received, missed.

Checking-out those rosters for the first time this morning reveals a series of calls I only remember as not completed (upon my answering) due to silence at the other end. (NO!, no heavy breathing!)

Pursuing the matter just a bit (via Googling the mysterious number) retreived a long list of sites discussing telephonic spam, something this naive senior had never previously thought about. Lots of citations of this site which keeps track . . . Keeping a roster of these scum  Curious the "frequencies" amassed by Texas and California, in contrast to Ohio. You got "laws" back there, guys?

My "unknown" caller is one of them.

I'm amazed.  Can't imagine how actually knowing I have a (published!) working number benefits some miscreant, but . . .
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Xairbusdriver on March 01, 2007, 02:10:48 PM
We've blocked several of these numbers, when they show up, anyway. As for what advantage they provide, the only thing I can think of is to provide the best 'time of day' to reach a number. In other words, if the phone is answered, that must mean the owner is home. If not answered, "not a good time to call that one". Of course, since so many use "answering" functions, I'm not sure how the system deals with 'non-human' answering. Maybe the calling computer only marks the call as 'answered' if the word "Hello" is recognized. dntknw.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Gregg on March 02, 2007, 07:24:26 AM
With these automated dialers that telemarketers use, I'm told if you don't say "Hello" then the machine doesn't recognize that as a response from a "live hit". But, how're ya s'posed to know it's a machine when yer phone rings? (I don't know if caller ID would clue ya in or not.)
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: jcarter on March 02, 2007, 07:36:50 AM
We have had success with using the caller ID by only answering those numbers that we know, or ones which have an ID that seem legit.
We were actually getting some telemarketing from Earthlink, they did not know that I already had an account with them.
But Earthlink did not come up on the caller ID, so even tho the person was 'live' and very pleasant, I told him that since his call was not identified as where he said he was calling from, that I could not believe him that he was actually from Earthlink.  So I said 'sorry, but I have no way of knowing who you really are, bye'.
We have very little trouble with any telemarketing any more.
Jane

For some unknown calls, my husband has some clever and humourous ways that we answer.  If its a live telemarketer, it gets a pretty funny response.  There is a silly little paperback with this stuff and silly messages to put on your answering machine.
But since we get so few now, we dont bother any more.
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: MamaMoose on March 03, 2007, 01:48:18 AM
I use a trick with annoying phone callers. On the second annoying call, I answer by saying, You have reached the office of the Central Intelligence Agency. Your phone number has been recorded and if it is legitimate, we will call you back. If this is an illegal call, we will notify your local FBI headquarters and they will take appropriate action.

It worked several times! I suppose I could be arrested for impersonating a federal official. But what the heck, I think the judge would be sympathetic after he (she) heard my story.

MamaMoose
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Gregg on March 03, 2007, 07:09:55 AM
Tom, you'd better hope that you don't get a fundraising call for the Policeman's Ball! police.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Jack W on March 03, 2007, 09:06:02 AM
I registered our number on the "Do not call" list several years ago.

That has done wonders on reducing our junk calls. Almost none now, and when I do get an occasional one now, I simply ask if they checked the "Do not call" list. Then I "politely" request they put my number on their no-call list. That's usually the end of it.

They can get heavily fined for calling numbers on that list.

Telemarketers — GOODBY!

Register your number here:

https://www.donotcall.gov/register/Reg.aspx

Jack
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Xairbusdriver on March 03, 2007, 09:13:48 AM
While making humorous remarks and 'playing' with the telemarketer can be entertaining, it makes no difference to the computer generated calls which sometimes never even say anything, anyway. Those are the calls that are simply trying to determine when you might be home to answer, I guess. It still baffles me what these kinds of calls are for. Simply answering may be all that they want to find out. And what happens when the 'answering machine' picks up? dntknw.gif wallbash.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: jcarter on March 03, 2007, 09:51:32 AM
Yes, it was only the 'live' ones that we used to play with.
Now I think most of the telemarketing is done by those automatic dialing machines.
But we sure dont get very many any more.
I have wondered what happens when our machine answers, but most of them usually hang up after 3 rings, as they have it figured that if you dont answer by then, the answering machine is next.
I guess thats it anyway.
Jane
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: krissel on March 05, 2007, 03:30:54 PM
One thing I found that works is to tell them they have called a business. They always apologize and remove you from their list. Just hope the phone company doesn't get snooty and try to charge me for a business number.

rolleyes.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: jcarter on March 05, 2007, 03:46:35 PM
For the last week, Verizon, our provider, called a lot and just plain hung up.
That was very annoying, so I called back using the number they had called from.
Finally got a live person, and I asked to be taken off the list. She explained it was an "autodialer".  She knew we were angry, as we have previously requested them not to do this. I told her to do it right this time, and make it quick as I was paying for a long distance call.  She was NOT polite, and neither was I.
Wouldnt you think that Verizon would not have to resort to stuff llike this to do to their regular customers?  They must be having problems.  I guess they are spending a lot on their new Fiber systems, but they shouldnt harass their regular customers, if they want to keep them loyal.
Jane
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Gregg on March 05, 2007, 04:16:39 PM
QUOTE(krissel @ Mar 5 2007, 03:30 PM) [snapback]120995[/snapback]
One thing I found that works is to tell them they have called a business. They always apologize and remove you from their list.


You must get calls from dull telemarketers. Most businesses want employees who answer the phone to say the name of the business. Of couse, I don't know how caller ID might help you know when not to say "Hello" or "krissel residence". wink.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: krissel on March 05, 2007, 04:43:50 PM
Sometimes they say "Oh, I couldn't tell it was a business by the way you answered the phone." (I just say 'hello'.)

But that's their problem, not mine. smile.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: MamaMoose on March 06, 2007, 01:27:08 AM
Gregg,

I did get an annoying set of calls from the local police and fire depts. wanting me to donate money for one cause or another. After the third  call in one evening  when I said, "not interested", on the fourth call,  I pulled my "You have  reached the CIA..." trick. There was a dead silence and then I heard, "OH. my GOD" and she hung up.

So far, I have not been arrested but it doesn't matter if I am as I have my Monopoly Get Out OF Jail Free card!

MamaMoose
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: RobW on March 06, 2007, 05:57:35 AM
QUOTE
So far, I have not been arrested but it doesn't matter if I am as I have my Monopoly Get Out OF Jail Free card!


They'd never find a jury to convict you for that one.
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Gregg on March 06, 2007, 07:43:02 AM
QUOTE(MamaMoose @ Mar 6 2007, 01:27 AM) [snapback]121056[/snapback]
So far, I have not been arrested but it doesn't matter if I am as I have my Monopoly Get Out OF Jail Free card!


And if that doesn't work, there's bail money in the box too. bump.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: sandbox on March 06, 2007, 07:58:25 AM
About everyday for 2 weeks now these http://whocalled.us/lookup/8665773917 folks at Allied Interstate call my cellphone. The number has never been registered, none of our phone numbers are, but these guys are Pros. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/9...collection.html

Message has changed to now telling us about some debt owed as others have reported on. It's a scam from what I see, I don't owe anyone anything and the phone number has been in my name for years.

I like VoIP phones for their ability to block calls and hide caller ID numbers. If a cellphone company would use that technology I would be in line.
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Epaminondas on March 06, 2007, 08:23:17 AM
Question: if someone calls you from Skype or other such VOIP setups, what shows up in your conventional caller ID box?
______________________________________________

As far as the "police" benefit and newspaper and replacement windows calls are concerned - you can get your telephone unlisted - as something like 30-40% of Americans do - higher percentages on the West coast.  But being unlisted is not that simple:

http://familyinternet.about.com/cs/interne.../aaunlisted.htm

Telephone companies charge you anywhere from $1-5 a month to be unlisted, so you can see what your privacy is "worth."

It isn't worth the local $5 a month for us to be unlisted, but there are less expensive methods of accomplishing the same goal:


(1) We asked the telephone company that our address be blanked.  They do this for free.  So a name does show up in the telephone directory, but no linked address.  

Now it comes down to that name . . .


(2) We took out the telephone in the name of a family pet - not our first or last name.  D. Rover - D standing for "Dog" (not his real name).  

That way, the moment that a caller says "Hi, Mr. Rover, how are you doing today?" in that universal overly-familiar, friendly tone of voice they have - we instantly say "Please put us on your do not call list."

It is a reflex - no thought involved.

They say "fine" and we hang up.  This reduces call volumes pretty quickly.

All very business like - we don't waste any time getting angry over it.

Saves our time and anger and their time and whatever emotions a telephone rep might have.


(3) As soon as we got the phone, we got on the national do not call list - but it is still going through the thirty day period where they can call you.


(4) We are getting the calls with no one on the other end of the line perhaps twice a week.  I have read that it is something about marketers determining when you are home, but I do not see the logic in that.  I have also heard that it is a technique that burglars use to check if the coast is clear.  Alternatively, a sign that your significant other is having an affair.  

You pays your money and you takes your chooice.


(5) Caller ID: we have not gone the route of refusing all but known callers on caller ID as we have family members who use various Costco and Sam's Club and such long distance caling cards - often much more economical than standard long distance calling plans - they just plug the long numbers into their automatic dialers once and the calling is thenceforth pretty effortless.  $0.029 / minute beats the heck out of a typical $39.00 a month calling plan. We are heading that route, as well.

These cards do,however, tend to give weird IDs with a different area code from that of the person using the card.

Every other time that I consider not answering the telepone due to an unknown caller ID, it turns out to be a friend or relative on the phone using a discount calling card.


Best regards -

Epaminondas
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Xairbusdriver on March 06, 2007, 09:13:20 AM
Don't worry about the "police" coming after you or the "fireman" not coming! Most of these calls are not made by police or firemen ( nor their friends and family ). They are made by contract 'services' who take their share of any donantions you might make.

I have tried being 'cute', angry, calm, deceitful, etc. with these calls. That is enough to cause me concern, that I would be tempted to find a 'solution' to something basically out of my control. It further reminds me of how closely I have allowed my life to be tied to 'technology' ( as old as this technology may be )! blush-anim-cl.gif

The bottom line is that when the phone rings, we have only two choices; stop what we are doing and see who it might be or simply not looking/answering and take the chance of missing a relative or friend. As soon as the phone rings, we are affected. We don't have to even see who/what it might be. We have had our 'space' invaded with the simple act of the ring; what the call is about is only secondary. If it is a 'blocked' or unwanted call, it only serves to elevate our feelings of 'invasion'. If it is a wanted call, we immediately forget any 'disturbance'. smile.gif

So far, none of the 'solutions' have proven complete, just as we still get SPAM. But, I suggest that we try to remember that giving in to the temptation to 'trick' the callers will eventually do more harm to us than to them. Thinking.gif And, eventually, it will only encourage them to find new ways to 'surprise' us! eek2.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: jcarter on March 06, 2007, 09:15:51 AM
When I call someone on SkypeOut, their caller ID shows all zeros.
Jane


Here is how we donate around here,,,,,,, when we give to our local police or fire departments, we just make the checks out to them directly, or buy things then donate them.  Either way.
We give when they need some new equipment, like for example, our neighbour is getting the oxygen masks that fit dogs and cats for our fire department.  And we are all going to purchase them directly thru donations and our checks, thus our fire department doesnt have to spend a minute of time or a cent on this project.  Our dog shelter and the volunteers(and friends like us)will do the whole thing.
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: sandbox on March 06, 2007, 09:22:01 AM
QUOTE
Question: if someone calls you from Skype or other such VOIP setups, what shows up in your conventional caller ID box?


Using VoicePulse you control what is viewed. Turn on/Off the ID. If off it will say <unknown caller><ID unavailable>

I can block any number or any area code. Not all VoIPs are the same, Vontage does not have as many options.
Basic http://www.voicepulse.com/features/basic/default.aspx

Advanced http://www.voicepulse.com/features/advanced/default.aspx

All this can be done from a web page, like your routers Control panels. There you can view your account, the calls in and out, time, numbers. There you can control any call notification, have any message recorded sent to you in a wav file in email. The features can also be controlled by the phone using preset coding *1,12,123,1234 whatever.
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: kcourt on March 06, 2007, 10:12:07 AM
Unwanted calls are a real pain, but I have hardly any now that I have registered my number.

 wallbash.gif One call I can't get rid of - my number is one different from the local allergist - sometimes I get a call for her but usually they apologize and move on. I have had my number for so long that I don't want to change it for a few inconvenient calls a year.

 rofl.gif What I do when I get a telemarketing call is either say "Oh, I will have to call you back - what is your number?" or say, "hold on, I have someone at the door", and never come back. Needless to say, they hang up.

Either way, I am chuckling as I do it, and they NEVER call back.   wink.gif

Guess we are stuck with all of this, as well as spam, so we might as well make a game out of it - it eases the annoyance a bit.

Kathy  flower-smilie.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Epaminondas on March 06, 2007, 11:10:10 AM
QUOTE
Guess we are stuck with all of this, as well as spam, so we might as well make a game out of it - it eases the annoyance a bit.

Actually, there is quite a bit you can do if the telemarketer does not abide strictly by the do-not-call laws and other applicable laws:

Cash In On The Battle Against Telemarketers

Denver Man Gets Check From Telemarketer

The $500 phone call

etc., etc., etc. . . .

________________________________________

Note: as I understand the law, stating "Put me on your do not call list" should end everything with that particular company right then and there - legally, they should not call you again.  If they do call again after you specifically say "Put me on your do not call list", they are liable for a $500 fine for each incident.

Playing games with them, however - hanging up the phone, saying "I'm too busy right now", saying "Please go away," leaving them on hold, shouting in their ear, referring to the CIA - all that is meaningless. They can still legally call you again.

So do yourself a  favour and memorize the simple phrase "Put me on your do not call list."  Use the phrase liberally and any calls you get will diminish and probably eventually cease altogether - particulalry in combination with placing your name on the national do-not-call registry.


The national do-not-call registry is a wonderful thing, but it does not block political calls, charity calls (those "policeman fund" calls you are getting), and surveys.  That is where the "Please put me on your do-not call list" backup phrase comes in handy, even after registering for the national do-not-call list.


Regards,

Epaminondas
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Xairbusdriver on March 06, 2007, 02:36:58 PM
Nice try, E. Did you record your statement to them? If not, it could be very expensive collecting that $500. But I agree it's better than lying/yelling to/at them.

I have noticed that the National Republican somethingorother ahs let Mrs. Dolw go, they are now using another Senator, from Iowa, I think. I still report their messages as SPAM. wallbash.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: jepinto on March 06, 2007, 03:31:35 PM
A friend of mine has both her handset and the base set ringers turned  off, but her volume for the answering machine turned up.  Anyone that really wants to talk to her, does so, to her machine, and when she hears someone "legit", she answers.  Having the machine answer saves her from telemarketers.  Also, if it is someone legit, there is a key for shortcutting the machine message that she shares.  Check your remote answering options for your machine for your specific shortcut.
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Epaminondas on March 06, 2007, 04:44:58 PM
QUOTE
Nice try, E. Did you record your statement to them? If not, it could be very expensive collecting that $500. But I agree it's better than lying/yelling to/at them.

I am not a litigious sort.  And I have not bothered to go after telemarketers, myself,  as I have not had a real problem with them.

Do-not-call Registry + "Please put me on your do-not-call list" for those who filter through the Registry has proven to be very effective.

Exception:

I did get a few political recordings during one election season that were pretty obnoxious.  But the politicians write the laws and exempt themselves in doing so.  Nothing I can do?  Not exactly . . .

I just make it a matter of principle to vote against those  who produce such recordings.

____________________________________________


As to small claims court - I have been there only once.  

No lawyer necessary.

The matter at issue?

A friend's sister stiffed me for $200.

She was down and out and, at her request, I helped her out with a brief loan backed by her personal check.

A pretty girl.  Beautiful smile.  

Smart as hell.

I liked her.

Her check bounced.

I gave both her and her brother, whom I had known for many years, over six months to make good.  

Bent over backwords, really.

Then mutual friends informed me that my friend and his sister were laughing at me behind my back for what a fool I was.  They were bragging that I would never get a cent of the money I was owed.  It was all a big joke.

It seemed a little - indiscreet - to me.

Such is the way that kindnesses are repaid.

Time for talking was over.

A stroll to small claims court with the bounced check in hand - an extraordinarily helpful clerk - a $20 payment - and a form to fill out -

The clerk even helped me fill it out.

Turns out that by local law, I was due three times the amount of the bounced check - $600 total - plus expenses - and the law was entirely on my side.

Plus she would be liable for court costs and collection costs, as well.

Who knew?

A certified letter and the laughter stopped.

I got my money back but I lost my friend.

So much for friendship.


Live and learn -

Epaminondas
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Gregg on March 06, 2007, 07:23:40 PM
I've always been annoyed by aquaintences who use their answering machines to screen calls. Obviously, they either don't know about the shortcut thing, or have chosen not to share it with me - for some reason. dntknw.gif

I didn't know that either. I doubt if I can find the manual to our machine to see if it has that feature. I suppose I could find out on the intenet, but I doubt if I'll go to that length... Thanks for the tip anyway. smile.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: jepinto on March 06, 2007, 07:44:37 PM
QUOTE
I've always been annoyed by aquaintences who use their answering machines to screen calls. Obviously, they either don't know about the shortcut thing, or have chosen not to share it with me - for some reason.

They probably don't know.  Most people do NOT read the manual.  However, with her machine, it's the star key.
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: krissel on March 06, 2007, 11:43:40 PM
I have two phone lines, one was left over from when I had dial-up. I kept it and now it is my very private line which only family knows and is not listed in the phone book.  I never asked the phone company not to list it, they just didn't. Family can call the number in an emergency and it will ring, therefore I can turn off the main line and let the answering machine on that one do its duty.

It's the only way I can get any sleep since my regular number is one of those that is a combination easily misdialed.
Can't tell you how many messages I get on my machine from people I don't know.

Always wondered about that woman who requested a taxi pick her up in front of the library at 3 PM.

..and the guy who got never got the call from his bank that his account was overdrawn

...and if Timothy ever got his return call to the Rahway State Prison

...and whether that person ever picked up the guitar that was fixed

...or if that couple ever called their broker to accept the offer on their house

...or if the UPS store found the woman who had the wrong address on a package that absolutely HAD to be in Florida by the next day...

Don't get me wrong, if they left a contact number I called and informed them of their mistake. But many did not so I was unable to deflect the consequences.

Hmm, there just might be a story connected with each of these missed calls. Might make an interesting plot line for a movie or TV series.

"Wrong Number"  How one person's life is changed due to fat fingers...

smile.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: kimmer on March 07, 2007, 02:47:56 AM
Our new phone number has apparently belonged to several folks prior to us. Most of them were dead beats. When we first moved in we received calls for:My favorite though ... were the calls for Mumsie from "It's me." ("Hi, Mumsie. It's me.") "It's me" always left long messages that ran until the machine stopped. Filled with heart warming news that made me want to meet "It's me" and Mumsie. I heard about the birthday gift Mumsie sent; listened to squeals of joy over "I found a job"; cried when she said, "We had our first fight"; and on and on it went. Every week for 3 months. Suddenly the calls stopped. It was sad, really.

Then one Sunday "It's me" called. I answered the phone and this voice squealed "Mumsie!!!!!!!!!". I stammered "I'm not Mumsie." "It's me" asked if I was Violet. I practically shouted into the phone ... "There's no one here by that name, but please don't hang up."

I then told "It's me" how she'd left all these wonderful messages, but her Mumsie wasn't at this number and how I felt really bad because she'd never left a return phone number, and I didn't know who Mumsie was ... and I was so sorry about it all.

"It's me" then giggled and said, "Oh you wouldn't have wanted to call me back. I'm in England."  jawdrop.gif  Seems she had moved over there when she got married, and thought she was calling her mom at Violet's home. Mom visits Violet for several months every year, but no one told "It's me" that Violet had a new phone number.

I looked up Violet's new phone number for her and I guess she's now chatting with her Mumsie, because she doesn't call here anymore.  tears.gif

The only other issue we have is our phones are junky and they de-register themselves without warning. Since we've already picked up, that means dead air to the caller. The last time this happened it was my aunt (who is elderly), and because she'd mucked up our mailing address and had mail returned and seems to muck up our email address on a reg. basis so that was also returned and then called and got dead air ... well, of course, Sneakers and I were dead. Sooooo ... she spent a week tracking down and calling the local phone company, various businesses and the sheriff to try to get them to "do something". She must not have made much sense because none of them would. I'd laugh, but I'm not sure it's funny.

We are on the "do not call" list and it works pretty darn good. In fact, the only real pest that calls is a pal of someone I know. Said pal thinks it's okay to call at 2am if he's feeling sad, or 10pm if he's lonely, or any old time to moan and complain - but always best at dinner time ... and we really need to get caller id. wink.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: jcarter on March 07, 2007, 07:16:17 AM
I had a call on my cell phone, from a lovely woman with a charming British accent looking for someone with my actual nick-name, which not many people know.  I thought she was my old friend(from England) who lives in Scotland nowadays, very similar sounding voices.
We had a nice quick conversation when we realized that I was not me and she was not Sheila, so we talked for another minute or so.
I dont mind that kind of a call.
Then there was the call from Sears many years ago telling, mrs Richard Carter(me) that our furniture was on the truck and they were trying to find the house.  But I had ordered baby clothes.  Too bad, the furniture had to stop in its tracks.
Jane
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: Gregg on March 07, 2007, 07:22:55 AM
Wow, great stories! Keep 'em coming!

I either don't get such interesting wrong number calls, or I just forget them - which means they can't be too interesting, I guess. dntknw.gif

Dick, look where this thread has gone... smile.gif
Title: OT: And speaking of "Customer Service"...
Post by: bellbram on March 07, 2007, 07:31:57 AM
QUOTE(jcarter @ Mar 7 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]121189[/snapback]
....,.so we talked for another minute or so.


Jane:  "another minute or so"??  Are you available to give my beloved lessons?