Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: sokukodo on February 11, 2003, 08:08:00 PM

Title: Vanishing music
Post by: sokukodo on February 11, 2003, 08:08:00 PM
Just opened my iTunes, and lo and behold, 600+ songs are absent! They still exist in the HD, and I can get them back into iTunes if I click on each mp3/wav file individually (they'll open up in iTunes) ... is there an easier way of doing this?
Title: Vanishing music
Post by: Bill on February 11, 2003, 08:59:00 PM
Couldn't you just go to file > import with iTunes on?
Title: Vanishing music
Post by: sokukodo on February 11, 2003, 09:13:00 PM
nope: when "import" is clicked, the iTunes file opens, but the songs are shaded; if I open the iTunes music folder from the finder, I must click on each song indiviually in order to install into iTunes.
The iTunes folder with the music is in my home directory in the "music" folder.
Title: Vanishing music
Post by: Bill on February 11, 2003, 09:20:00 PM
Hmmm. How about running disk utility and see if it comes up with something amiss? Guess Macjanitor too.
Title: Vanishing music
Post by: CyberPet on February 12, 2003, 09:38:00 AM
Do they have the iTunes icons, generic icons or QuickTime icons? Sometimes I notice that there's a problem with songs with QuickTime icons and you should be able to - once you got your songs back - to convert the marked tune as mp3. Sounds wacky but iTunes is sometimes wacky too and it's worth trying.
Title: Vanishing music
Post by: kelly on February 12, 2003, 10:27:00 AM
Yeah. Just try some basic Jag troubleshooting.  

http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html#Anchor-33111

http://www.macattorney.com/tutorial.html

And such. Including logging in and out.

Assuming you're running Jag.
Title: Vanishing music
Post by: sokukodo on February 12, 2003, 08:21:00 PM
hmm ... Ran desk utility (ok) ... Cyberpet: the icons are the same mp3 or wav icons as usual; in fact, i've never seen a quicktime icon in itunes ... and as far as running Jag: what does that have to do with iTunes? it's a separate app ... itunes runs independantly of Jag ... in fact, my browsers are usually closed when running iTunes; but it's not as if my songs are missing ... they're still on the hard drive (they're just not listed IN iTunes: I can click on each individual song, and it will show up in iTunes (and stay there): I just don't want to click 600 times ... I don't understand why they disappeared from iTunes in the first place!
Title: Vanishing music
Post by: kelly on February 12, 2003, 09:57:00 PM
Richard. Jag. Jaguar. Is the OS. OS X 10.2  

I assumed you were using OS X because you said home directory.

But you could be using OS X 10.1 I don't know.

Has nothing to do with browsers.

Does have to do with Directory problems.

That's why I say do the ususal troubleshooting tips.
Title: Vanishing music
Post by: sokukodo on February 12, 2003, 10:52:00 PM
Earth to Richard ... oops: I looked at Jaguar and saw Safari ... but I did run all the usual maintenance stuff, anyway ... guess I'll click on them (the individual mp3 files) as I want to hear them.
Title: Vanishing music
Post by: kelly on February 13, 2003, 06:54:00 PM
Richard. Yeah the mind sometimes does funny things with words.  

I recently called Rob Gary for example.

Didn't see an answer to your problem here.

http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?14@...ghQj.0@.eeac121

You might try posting.