Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: Highmac on February 13, 2003, 07:47:00 AM

Title: OT - British slang (thanks Jennie)
Post by: Highmac on February 13, 2003, 07:47:00 AM
Jennie asked on another thread why the Brits use 'cowboy' for an unscrupulous worker (cowboy builder). Still don't know the answer, but in my efforts to find it I came across this wonderful site with links to just about anything to do with the English language. There was a link to definitions. But I still haven't found the answer to the original question    
 
 [ 02-13-2003, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Highmac ]
Title: OT - British slang (thanks Jennie)
Post by: kelly on February 13, 2003, 11:01:00 PM
Found this. Enter at your own risk I guess.  

http://www.cockneycowboy.ic24.net/index.htm
Title: OT - British slang (thanks Jennie)
Post by: taliesin on February 13, 2003, 01:10:00 PM
Interesting sites!
As to the origin of the term "cowboy builder", though, I've no idea, and so far I haven't found an online dictionary which gives more than definitions. Still hunting.
Title: OT - British slang (thanks Jennie)
Post by: iGuy on February 13, 2003, 06:16:00 PM
I believe kelly's link give the answer to Jennie's question, Highmac.

 
quote:
Cowboy n. 1. A conventional character of Wild West folklore.
2.A person who is an irresponsible or unscrupulous operator in business.

Ryan
Title: OT - British slang (thanks Jennie)
Post by: Bill on February 13, 2003, 06:30:00 PM
Spock: "Captain Kirk had the same - Cowboy diplomacy - as you Captain Pecard. <gr>
Title: OT - British slang (thanks Jennie)
Post by: jepinto on February 13, 2003, 07:16:00 PM
Yes, I suspect the term came from the American West, but .....how and why?