Techsurvivors

Archives => 2007 => Topic started by: gunug on September 24, 2007, 03:52:05 PM

Title: The Rumor Mill: Less than a 867MHz G4 won't run Leopard!
Post by: gunug on September 24, 2007, 03:52:05 PM
QUOTE
According to people familiar with the matter, engineers for the company recently determined that Leopard installs on 800MHz PowerPC G4 systems ran "too slow." Support for those systems was subsequently pulled from the most recent pre-release copies of Leopard, which inform testers that the software "cannot be installed" on those computers.

Instead, Leopard will now require Macs with "an Intel processor or a PowerPC G4 (867 MHz or faster) or G5 processor." Other system requirements include a DVD drive, built-in FireWire, at least 512MB of RAM (additional recommended), and at least 9GB of hard disk space.


http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/09...hz_systems.html

Sounds a mite on the overweight side!  I guess they have to have some reason to buy newer machines!

Title: The Rumor Mill: Less than a 867MHz G4 won't run Leopard!
Post by: Gregg on September 25, 2007, 07:38:38 AM
Well, there goes one stocking stuffer idea. Son #2 has a G3 iBook. :darn: (get it? stocking... darn - nevermind!)
Title: The Rumor Mill: Less than a 867MHz G4 won't run Leopard!
Post by: gapstr on September 26, 2007, 12:45:39 AM
Never fear, I am confident XPostFacto will be updated to allow Leopard to run on some older Macs.
Title: The Rumor Mill: Less than a 867MHz G4 won't run Leopard!
Post by: krissel on September 26, 2007, 01:01:35 AM
Maybe, maybe not.  Thinking.gif

http://forum.macsales.com/viewtopic.php?t=3021


I have Ryan to thank for keeping my 9600 and Wallstreet alive and running 10.3.9, albeit not as fast as my upgraded DA.  smile.gif
Title: The Rumor Mill: Less than a 867MHz G4 won't run Leopard!
Post by: gunug on September 26, 2007, 04:39:45 AM
That XPostFacto page looks like it's pretty old; I'd be surprised if it was ready for 10.5!  I'm not going to worry about it; 10.4 is working great at home and at work and most of the lab G5's at work are still running 10.3!
Title: The Rumor Mill: Less than a 867MHz G4 won't run Leopard!
Post by: Gregg on September 26, 2007, 07:35:42 AM
QUOTE(gunug @ Sep 26 2007, 04:39 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That XPostFacto page looks like it's pretty old; I'd be surprised if it was ready for 10.5!  I'm not going to worry about it; 10.4 is working great at home and at work and most of the lab G5's at work are still running 10.3!


You're not upgrading?

Why not? wink.gif
Title: The Rumor Mill: Less than a 867MHz G4 won't run Leopard!
Post by: sandbox on September 26, 2007, 08:24:42 AM
Gunug I posted the specs here http://www.techsurvivors.net/forums/index....st&p=134067