Techsurvivors

Welcome to Techsurvivors => Community => Topic started by: Texas Mac Man on November 19, 2007, 01:02:54 PM

Title: Blondes Make Men Act Dumb
Post by: Texas Mac Man on November 19, 2007, 01:02:54 PM
Blondes Make Men Act Dumb

What's your opinion?
Title: Blondes Make Men Act Dumb
Post by: Highmac on November 19, 2007, 01:31:19 PM
I tend to agree with the comment about the unreliability of studies. Newspapers and other media today receive scores of 'surveys' although most of them originate from the PR department of somebody trying to sell something.

Er.... antivirus services anyone? smile.gif

I'm married to a genuine blonde and I don't think I'm stupid. Although she occasionally disagrees biggrin.gif
Title: Blondes Make Men Act Dumb
Post by: Xairbusdriver on November 19, 2007, 03:37:22 PM
It's difficult to avoid and ignore the influences of stereotypes. It may actually be impossible, completely. But it is up to the individual to know of their own biases, even prejudices and to be aware of ways to prevent them from affecting their actions. We still have the option of deciding how we react to various 'stimuli.' Frankly, I thought it disrespectful of the author to include a blond 'joke' while at the same time suggesting that those kinds of jokes may have furthered the stereotype. Not that I've ever repeated a blond joke...wallbash.gif

I did enjoy the comment that all studies are unreliable! smile.gif
Title: Blondes Make Men Act Dumb
Post by: sandbox on November 19, 2007, 11:26:01 PM
Yup, I agree, so does brunets, redheads and Katherine Zeta Jones.
I'd stay away from them if I were you, just let me know where they are, so i can avoid them too. wink.gif
Title: Blondes Make Men Act Dumb
Post by: Gregg on November 20, 2007, 07:33:44 AM
QUOTE
According to researchers at St Andrews University, north European women evolved blonde hair and blue eyes at the end of the Ice Age to make them stand out from their rivals at a time of fierce competition for scarce males.


Seems the writers were afflicted by their subject matter as well. rolleyes.gif

I understand the "scientific principle" but they should have described "natural selection" accurately.