Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: Himrich on February 02, 2003, 04:23:00 PM

Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: Himrich on February 02, 2003, 04:23:00 PM
When taking a snapshot of the desktop (Cmd-Sft-3) in OS X the file saved to the desktop is a pdf. I can't figure out how to change the default to another program, like GraphicConverter, for instance.

P.S. Much simpler question hopefully than my previous formatting zero problem. All seems well in that category now. Thanks for the support.
Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: Bill on February 02, 2003, 05:30:00 PM


When you get the next window open,you'll see a box on the bottom that says something like always open with ??

Once you've selected the app,check the box.?.

See what that does cus I've never tried it. <gr>
Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: Himrich on February 02, 2003, 06:03:00 PM
Oh I got it. Just Control Click on the file and choose Open With. Great.

Thanks,
Rick
Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: Himrich on February 02, 2003, 06:11:00 PM
Ooooops, I spoke too soon.

That procedure works fine for that one file but the next time you save a snapshot to the desktop it is once again an Acrobat Reader pdf file.

In MacOS 9 we could default certain extensions to open with certain programs. Must be available in MacOS X someplace.

Rick
Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: Bill on February 02, 2003, 07:57:00 PM
Are we talking about "saving" the file or "opening" the file?

Saving is by default pdf and I don't believe you can change that.

What App designated to open is another story.

In my first post Rick:"When you get the next window open,you'll see a box on the bottom that says something like always open with ??" {Other}

 

"See what that does cus I've never tried it. <gr>"

Buck-a-buck-a-buck .... me super chicken.
Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: Himrich on February 02, 2003, 09:11:00 PM
I was talking about how to SAVE it into another file other than pdf. Because when you take a picture of the desktop or a menu perhaps you don't get a choice of the type of file you want to SAVE.

Yes, I can OPEN with any application using your OPEN WITH shortcut and save that application as THE one that will open it again and again.

I WANTED a way to change the format it was SAVED in.

Maybe the only way do that is through a 3rd party software.

Rick
Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: kps on February 02, 2003, 10:24:00 PM
I'm afraid you no longer have a choise...PDF, is it in Jaguar.

In previous versions it was .tiff, but it could be changed to .jpeg either with the CLI or TinkerTool. Apple took that out.

However, they did leave Grab, which is a screen capture utility. It captures in .tiff. You can find it in /Applications/Utilities/Grab.
Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: Himrich on February 02, 2003, 10:54:00 PM
Thanks, saw Grab.

Does Jaguar seem a little more Windows than Mac to anyone?
Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: taliesin on February 03, 2003, 04:26:00 AM
There's another way round this:
 Snatcher.

It's in beta, can quit suddenly, but on the whole does the screenshot job pretty well and gives you quite a choice of formats.
Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: Himrich on February 03, 2003, 09:00:00 AM
Thanks, that is what I will look for then.

Rick
Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: Thomas S. England on February 03, 2003, 09:04:00 AM
Haven't used it myself, but I understand that Snapz Pro gives you options:

http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcg...id=11530&db=mac
 
 [ 02-03-2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Thomas S. England ]
Title: Pictures of Desktop in X
Post by: kps on February 03, 2003, 09:11:00 AM
While we're on the subject of non-free screen capture utilities...

Came across Copernicus on MacMinute, it's only $10.

...and yes, Snapz Pro has been around a long time. Both of these will let you capture movies in QuickTime.