Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: WDL on May 12, 2003, 08:46:03 PM

Title: Drop underlining of topics.
Post by: WDL on May 12, 2003, 08:46:03 PM
The superb job that has seen TS become so svelte in
appearance, is distracted from by the addition of underlining
below each topic.

With the terrific visual impact of the lettering itself and so many ways of imparting emphasis with computers, underlining which served a purpose when we were confined to the limited ways of highlighting in the days of typewriters, really serves no purpose now - in fact, it tends to "clutter" or diminish the simple clarity.

As David Pogue says in several of his books - "Two things people coming to computers from typewriters have to learn - only one space instead of two after a period before the start of the next sentence - and, no underlining."

TS is the best looking forum, bar none.

WDL
Title: Drop underlining of topics.
Post by: Gregg on May 13, 2003, 08:02:38 AM
But of course, underlining is the universal "clue" that the text is also a link to something else. I see that all such underlined text on the board follows that convention, and no un-underlined text also serves as a link. Let's hear some creative ideas for a new convention and start our own revolution! wink.gif
Title: Drop underlining of topics.
Post by: Diana on May 13, 2003, 08:11:50 AM
Hi,

I think the best options are those that are left to the user. I too dislike underlines..even those marking links. If the coding is not overly specific, then there are usually settings in one's browser preferences to allow/disallow the underlining of links.

I have my Mozilla preferences set to NOT underline links. There are some pages I visit that use CSS to designate underlined links and sometimes those are displayed whether I like it or not, but for the most part I don't see underlines. Sometimes there is "best of both" sorta thing going on where I don't see an underline until my mouse pointer touches the text link. That's cool for me..smile.gif It re-affirms my assumption that the text is a link but it doesn't make me "trip" over all that underlining while I'm just trying to read.

I'm using the Pastoral skin and I don't see any underlined text. If the skin you're using does, then try to set your browser to disallow it. If that doesn't work, try another skin.

see ya
Title: Drop underlining of topics.
Post by: WDL on May 13, 2003, 09:16:27 AM
Diana!:

 clap.gif Thank you, thankyou. Changed my skin to Pastoral and the underlines are gone (except under the user names.)

I have all my preferences elsewhere (Mozilla etc) set to "no underlines" but some still turn up - however, most are eliminated.

One of the worst offenders for underlines is Apple Help within applications. Even in the index, every item is underlined. Makes for difficult reading.

Again - you made this day (and many others) for me.

WDL   clap.gif  clap.gif  clap.gif
Title: Drop underlining of topics.
Post by: krissel on May 13, 2003, 11:01:08 PM
Diana is right that the underlining is in the css.

It could be changed but as Gregg said, some people like it as long as there is a consistency to it.
One thing that drives me batty is sites that underline things that aren't links.

Of course, some people may not care for it and that's why there are several skins to chose from.

Glad you found an answer that makes you happy.   smile.gif