Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: nels96 on May 20, 2003, 04:49:52 PM

Title: How transfer old Bookmarks to reinstalled NS4.8
Post by: nels96 on May 20, 2003, 04:49:52 PM
Hi Guys!
Just reinstalled Netscape 4.8 (still donot like NS7), and cannot find where to insert my old copy of Bookmarks. Previously used to insert bookmarks in the Sys Fold/Prefs/Users area, but there isn’t  such a location any more! What do I do now?

Thanks, nels96
Title: How transfer old Bookmarks to reinstalled NS4.8
Post by: nels96 on May 21, 2003, 01:10:25 PM
Hey, what's going on here?

How come I haven't gotten a single reply to my simple technical problem ? Or maybe it isn't so simple ?

Thanks, nels96
Title: How transfer old Bookmarks to reinstalled NS4.8
Post by: Gary S on May 21, 2003, 02:17:24 PM
nels96,

In OS9x they should go in System Folder->Preferences->Netscape Users->(Your) folder.
Title: How transfer old Bookmarks to reinstalled NS4.8
Post by: nels96 on May 21, 2003, 04:56:31 PM
Thanks Gary, but that is exactly my problem. I don't have that string in my Preferences! In fact, your response made me consider whether my version was corrupted, so I checked for a new NS 4.8 download on Google (Netscape website does not have it anymore) and I reinstalled that version. Still no Sys Folder>Preferences>Netscape Users> (my) folder. Now I am wondering whether I am missing something in the setup routine. But I cannot figure what it is, since I have done this procedure many times before, and have always had a Prefs>Netscape Users slot to go to.

What could I possibly be missing???

Thanks, nels96
Title: How transfer old Bookmarks to reinstalled NS4.8
Post by: Bill on May 21, 2003, 07:01:43 PM
Just out of curisity Nels96,I flipped over to OS 9 and checked my Netscape prefs.

It is there in my 4.7.8. version.

Never used 4.8.  Should be there? Shouldn't it?

What about rebuilding your desktop or checking for a import feature in the menu somewhere.
Title: How transfer old Bookmarks to reinstalled NS4.8
Post by: sunset on May 22, 2003, 12:35:25 AM
Nels96,

Have you looked in your 'Documents' folder on your boot drive to see if there's a Mozilla folder in there?  If there is, open it, open the Profiles folder as well as the one that has your name on it [or whatever you chose for your identity].  In there you'll find a folder that has an alpha-numeric title that makes no sense.  It 'may' end in .slt-new.  Open that and you'll find all your personal stuff for Netscape--'bookmarks.html' will be there also.

Because you already have your list, you'll need to replace the one that's in that folder with yours.

Good luck--I hope you find it there so you can stop looking... java script:emoticon(':)')
Title: How transfer old Bookmarks to reinstalled NS4.8
Post by: Dreambird on May 22, 2003, 12:58:09 PM
Nels...

I think we might have talked about this before... not sure, the old brain cells aren't what they used to be with me...  dry.gif  but yes, try what Sunset suggests first... if you've tried installing any version of NS7.x again, make "sure" you get rid of all of it... parts do hide in the Documents folder which is different from NS4.8. Can't hurt to check your preferences folder too... to make sure anything called "Mozilla" is gone.

Then find your Profile Manager for NS4.8 which should be in the directory you installed NS to... and create a new user profile which should, if you choose the default path, make the folder show up again in system>preferences>Netscape Users>your profile.

From there replace the bits and pieces you may have from a previously saved NS User Profile, including your bookmarks.

Hope this helps...
Title: How transfer old Bookmarks to reinstalled NS4.8
Post by: nels96 on May 26, 2003, 02:52:33 PM
Dreambird, Sunset, Bill, et al:

There may be no dumb questions, but there are some weird ones, such as the following:
Why is it that ALL of my Netscapes (4.77, 4.79, 4.8, including recent reinstalls, including one 4.79 off a CD)
have no string for: Sys Folder > Preferences > Netscape Users > nels96(my folder) ? To be more clear, all these Prefs lists have nothing remotely related to "Netscape Users".

I believe this all started when I finally succeeded  (with Dreambird's help) in trashing ALL the remnants of NS 7.02 (including Mozilla, etc)
I have checked Documents folders and Sherlock 2. None found.  Any more ideas ?

Is this part of a vast Netscape conspiracy to force me back to NS 7.02? If so, they aint gonna succeed! I'm already half sold on Internet Explorer, because the new TS formats work better on IE 5 than on NS 4.8 !!!

I guess I am now more interested in what the problem is, than in solving it.

Thanks again guys, nels96
  wallbash.gif
Title: How transfer old Bookmarks to reinstalled NS4.8
Post by: Dreambird on May 26, 2003, 07:03:30 PM
Nels... I'm assuming you have a reasonably recent backup of your old User Profile... it should still have everything you need, now go to whatever folder you installed NS4.8 into... I just install mine into the Internet folder, (over which I had a big fight with OS9.1 over it wanting it in the applications folder... I did NOT so it's outside on the HD)... in there you should find the Profile Manager... make sure NS is shut down and see what's in there when you start it up... if anything you may want to delete them and start fresh.

Create a new User Profile which "should" offer you the default path of system>preferences>netscape users>your profile.

I can't say why NS7.x messed up on that...  unsure.gif  I do know weird things can happen to older versions of NS when it's present or removed.

Please give me a shout back if you find my instructions a bit unclear... I've got too many irons in the fire at the moment... wink.gif