Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: daffy on May 21, 2003, 09:02:48 PM

Title: Carbon Copy Cloner
Post by: daffy on May 21, 2003, 09:02:48 PM
Why am I posting this? Who else is possibly interested in the things we do with our Macs but us? It is the Mac person who understands the elation & satisfaction that we get when we do a daunting task well.
 
So..........having said this.......

I erased the 2 partitions from my 60 GB ext Fw drive this afternoon & using Carbon Copy Cloner, successfully cloned 10.2.6 to it. I'm using only one partition now as I can't boot up into 9 anymore, anyway. Erasing went really fast & the cloning took a little over 20 minutes.

With fear & trembling, I selected the ext drive as the drive to start up from & it did!
CCC had created the clone so faithfully that even my desktop picture was the same.
 
It's almost scary how easy it is to do.
 
Now I can boot up from it when I want to & run DiskWarrior or Disk Utility First Aid.

Hooray for me.

 laugh.gif
Title: Carbon Copy Cloner
Post by: daffy on May 21, 2003, 09:06:41 PM
Ok Ok ...Carbon ...not Carbom.  

No one's perfect... oops.gif
Title: Carbon Copy Cloner
Post by: Bruce_F on May 21, 2003, 09:21:36 PM
Congrats, daffy!

CCC worked for me too. I wanted to put OS 10 and 9 on different partitions. I had an extra drive to clone to.

When CCC finished, I started up on the cloned drive just to be sure it was all there. Then I wiped the main drive and cloned everything back to the two partitions I created.

Fun stuff! B)
Title: Carbon Copy Cloner
Post by: kelly on May 21, 2003, 10:35:03 PM
Yes. We understand. Congratulations. smile.gif

You should be proud of yourself.  thumbup.gif
Title: Carbon Copy Cloner
Post by: MamaMoose on May 23, 2003, 03:01:02 AM
Carbon Copy Cloner is indeed a godsend. I did have one interesting problem in using it - it started just fine but hung and woyldn't complete. It hung on cloning CCC itself! dry.gif

My guess is the cloner was not able to clone itself. So I turned off CCC from the CCC pane and everything went smoothly. Is my conjecture correct? I did think that perhaps I hadn't set the memory high enough but CCC does not have a variable memory.

MamaMoose
Title: Carbon Copy Cloner
Post by: Gary S on May 23, 2003, 10:51:37 AM
I haven't used it yet. Does it copy everything, including all your applications and stuff? do you have a choice as to what it copies etc.?
Title: Carbon Copy Cloner
Post by: pendragon on May 23, 2003, 11:09:25 AM
Gary, Yep, indeed you can select (edit) the items to be copied.

IMNHO, it is absolutely great! I suppose someone does not like it, but I wouldn't bet on that. clap.gif

Harv
Title: Carbon Copy Cloner
Post by: Gary S on May 24, 2003, 09:21:45 AM
Thanks Harv,

I didn't know that you had the choice. I think i'll try it. I have it on my HDD but was a little timid using it until now.