Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: kbeartx on February 03, 2003, 12:21:00 AM

Title: OS 10.1.5 / 9.1 anomaly
Post by: kbeartx on February 03, 2003, 12:21:00 AM
I have both OSes installed in the same partition, which is within the first 8 GB of a 40 GB IBM Deskstar on my beige G3 (400 MHz zif, 784 MB RAM) and whenever I open Startup Disk in 9.1, select  the OS X system folder, and click Restart, I get two or three different warning dialogs about the startup disk no longer containing a valid System Folder.

But then, the Mac shuts down and reboots into X (sometimes it hangs during shutdown and I have to Control-Command-Power from the keyboard, and then it boots into X, clean and smooth).  FWIW, I'm in X right now as I'm posting this.

Anybunny have any firsthand knowledge of what's up widdat?

I'm not going to run out and update the OS to 9.2.2, at least not anytime soon, so don't waste your keystrokes, because I've already been there and done that and it proved to be somewhat less stable than 9.1 (on this exact machine with my particular mix of apps and usage).

It's really just something I am curious about, because lately everything is humming along beautifully and I am not about to introduce the possibility of who knows what-all instabilities (can you tell I've been burned a few times by version upgrades making my system less stable?), and it's not something I do often enough (boot from 9.1 into X) to make this anything more than a minor annoyance and a curiosity.

TIA for any info,

 - Kbeartx
 
 [ 02-03-2003, 09:49 PM: Message edited by: kbeartx ]
Title: OS 10.1.5 / 9.1 anomaly
Post by: kelly on February 03, 2003, 11:19:00 PM
It just seems that X on earlier machines is problematical.  

http://www.lowendmac.com/10/02/1021.html

http://new.lowendmac.com/mail/03/0203.html#imac