Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: jepinto on May 29, 2003, 09:31:22 PM

Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: jepinto on May 29, 2003, 09:31:22 PM
http://browsers.evolt.org/
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: sandbox on May 29, 2003, 10:09:45 PM
W jawdrop.gif W
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: Bernie on May 29, 2003, 10:14:32 PM
Yeah! What Sandbox said only Double W jawdrop.gif W   W jawdrop.gif W
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: Al on May 30, 2003, 04:33:02 AM
Are these browsers mostly Windows browsers?  Or Mac browsers?
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: giantmike on May 30, 2003, 08:47:22 AM
Windows browsers. BTW, most of these are mozilla clones not kept up to date. When Mozilla first released its source code, many wide-eyed developers through together their own browser, which was basically Mozilla with a new skin.
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: Mrious_be on May 30, 2003, 09:21:02 AM
Looks like even Apple created one in 1999.
Called Cyberdog... anyone knew this?
Anyone used it? wink.gif
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: jepinto on May 30, 2003, 09:45:39 AM
check inside the folders of the various browsers.  I found Mac versions in some.
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: Mrious_be on May 30, 2003, 09:58:10 AM
QUOTE(jepinto @ May 30 2003, 4:45 PM)
check inside the folders of the various browsers.  I found Mac versions in some.

 Yeah, but this one is really mentioned as "Apple Computer", so it must be developped by them?
Never heard of it though.
They have a 68k and a powerpc version, i might download the "readme.txt" and read about it wink.gif

smile.gif
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: Mrious_be on May 30, 2003, 10:00:49 AM
Hmm... the "readme.txt link... not much info though. rolleyes.gif
Going to check that url they mention though:
http://www.cyberdog.org
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: Mrious_be on May 30, 2003, 10:03:17 AM


Cute, but i hoped to see some screenshots from the browser B)
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: Paddy on May 30, 2003, 10:16:56 AM
I realize now that it is quite possible that I used Cyberdog for telnet back in the mid-90's, but alas, my memory is a bit fuzzy on the details. We didn't have a full-fledged internet connection of our own at home at the time - what access I did have was through Oregon State University, where my husband was a professor. And, the world wide web was still very much in its infancy in those days. Internet Explorer for Mac and Windows 3.1 didn't appear until April 1996. I certainly don't remember much, other than lots of interesting usergroup postings, and some fledgling web sites. By the time we moved here in mid-'97, and got a dial-up account, things were changing rapidly. Netscape was the browser of choice, and I don't recall even being aware of Cyberdog at that point, though my lack of technical expertise at the time may have had something to do with this.

Info on Cyberdog:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?CyberDog

Info on the reasons for Cyberdog's demise:

http://www.lindbladarchitects.com/cyberdog/

I somehow doubt that it would offer anything now, that wouldn't be better implemented in either other browsers or other FTP software, but I could be wrong. I would also imagine that its support for modern HTML and various recent web technologies is largely missing. I guess if you're using an older OS with OpenDoc, you could take it out for a spin.

http://www.gaudette-net.com/biscuit/opendoc.html
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: Dreambird on May 30, 2003, 11:16:13 AM
Hot Java from Sun looks interesting maybe... it seems to still have a version for Classic Mac too.

I'd like to see some screenshots too... will have to dig  around.

Won't even bother to rant about all the choices for OS X "only"... *sigh**   taped.gif
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: Mrious_be on May 30, 2003, 03:32:58 PM
Interesting information, thx smile.gif
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: krissel on May 30, 2003, 08:49:46 PM
Yep, I used Cyberdog a bit. Not much cause it was quickly surpassed in features by Netscape and Explorer. It was pretty quick but that was back when sites weren't loaded with graphics and text ruled. If I remember correctly there was a running dog that appeared while accessing a page, a lot like what that Fetch uses.

My personal paranoia believed that the demise of Cyberdog was linked to the infamous deal that Steve and Bill made back in 97. It was one of the small print areas that axed any competition for IE in return for Microsoft Office for Mac. Now that deal has expired and we see Safari...coincidence? I think not.

wink.gif


If you have an OS8 CD, Cyberdog should be on it somewhere.
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: kelly on May 31, 2003, 09:22:41 AM
M_B. You might be interested in eWorld. smile.gif


http://www.macobserver.com/article/2001/03/08.10.shtml

http://www.mac512.com/eworld.htm

http://www.mac512.com/mac512.html
Title: Browsers, Browsers, BROWSERS!!
Post by: Mrious_be on May 31, 2003, 11:11:46 AM
Woooow... eWorld is a bit like AOL is these days.
A portal to a community.
I never heard of eWorld either, it's amazing to know that Apple did this before the web was really "open".

Fun biggrin.gif