Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: ruthpal on May 30, 2003, 10:24:18 AM

Title: Mac on Satellite
Post by: ruthpal on May 30, 2003, 10:24:18 AM
tongue.gif   Hi, I'm new to this forum. I was introduced by Terry V, I am experienced on Mac platform but don't know all the "techy" language so please have mercy! I recently purchased a mac portable G4  with an airport bus extreme for internet use with DSL in my home. My question is: Is there a card I can puchase for my mac that will give me a satellite link for my mac so I am not confined to the four walls of my home? My friend said her husband has a PC with a satellite card. I love my mac. I have OS 9 and 10. I look forward to your response. Thank you and have a great day.0
Title: Mac on Satellite
Post by: Bruce_F on May 30, 2003, 10:58:36 AM
welcome.gif ruthpal!

Satellite cards... here's one place to check out. Skycasters

It's has to be the most expensive way I have ever seen to get online though.

QUOTE
Skycasters broadband satellite internet access costs slightly more than Cable or DSL, but far less than a T-1.    Skycasters does not attempt to compare its satellite internet prices to those of Cable or DSL providers. If access to  these services is available in your area, you should compare pricing and service carefully. Where available, either Cable or DSL are usually priced lower than broadband satellite  internet service. Because of the high cost of leasing dedicated satellite capacity, satellite internet access costs slightly more than  Cable or DSL for a similar level of service. Broadband satellite internet  prices may be higher, however cost may be less important than availability in areas where Cable or DSL is not available.  Skycasters service plans for high speed satellite internet access typically ranges from about $100 up to around $250 monthly... 



Notice that they don't actually tell you the price for individuals.
Title: Mac on Satellite
Post by: krissel on May 30, 2003, 09:38:57 PM
welcome.gif to TS.

Satellite is an expensive way to go. Only if you have no other way to get broadband would it be recommended. Remember you have to have unobstructed view usually to the South/southwest about 60 degrees above the horizon (though you didn't list where you are located).

Also,
QUOTE
Because satellite internet service is, like ADSL, an asymmetrical service most of the bandwidth is reserved for downloading and a minor amount is reserved for uploading. Uploads over the service are generally in the 30-60 Kbps range and can burst up to a maximum of 128 Kbps.


Have you checked into DSL or cable? There is another thread presently discussing those choices... Connection speedup.

You may be confusing the satellite option for something like Airport which would allow you to roam within a certain distance of the Airport unit, inside or outside your house. A satellite dish setup is not necessary for that.

Here are a few links to check out.

Net2dish  (you may have to reload the page to get it to display properly

satellite for Mac discussion

That last website is a good place to find lots of info on the subject.
Title: Mac on Satellite
Post by: jepinto on May 31, 2003, 04:23:37 AM
I may be wrong eek2.gif but I think ruthpal is talking Airport, but just in case......

Satellite connection is only good if ......aw heck, I can't think of a time that it is good.....wait, yes I did.  Only if you intend to spend a lot of time downloading large files.

Our office "network" is hooked through a satellite modem.  Disappointing is the nicest word to describe the experience.  
Title: Mac on Satellite
Post by: kelly on May 31, 2003, 10:11:26 AM
Hi ruthpal. Welcome to the Forum. welcome.gif

Don't worry.

We like to answer questions from people that aren't real "techy".

I also think you're just asking about regular Airport stuff. smile.gif

Did you get the Airport Card for your machine?

Can you tell us just which Laptop it is?

http://new.lowendmac.com/pb2/g4-1ghz.html

http://new.lowendmac.com/powerbooks.html