Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: Larry on June 02, 2003, 03:46:03 AM

Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Larry on June 02, 2003, 03:46:03 AM
I want with the minimum amount of bother to post a commercial site on the net.
At present I got the site at http://homepage.mac.com/lawrenceperry/Nurs...Personal21.html
but i do not want to link this site to my personal site

I recognize that dot mac is pretty cheap for this kinda of site, but is it appropriate.

I don't have much time to make a really good site, and I need your suggestions.



 thanx.gif
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Mrious_be on June 02, 2003, 11:25:15 AM
Amazing... cause i was planning to ask a similar question here B)
Sooo, i just post it in here to, i hope you don't mind clp? blush-anim-cl.gifLike clp mentioned, should i consider to go for dot Mac?
It might look good as a portfolio?

smile.gif
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: jepinto on June 02, 2003, 12:45:09 PM
pssst..... http://www.crestcommunications.com
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Mrious_be on June 02, 2003, 01:15:06 PM
QUOTE(jepinto @ Jun 2 2003, 7:45 PM)
pssst.....http://www.crestcommunications.com

 That sure sounds familiar biggrin.gif
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Spartacus on June 02, 2003, 01:47:40 PM
I have a very good web host here in Germany (running 5 different websites there).
Perhaps of interest for you Mrious. Payment in Euros.

http://www.udmedia.de

Very fast and reliable servers, good pricing and 24h-support.

You'll have to email whether they accept international customers, though (it seems their English website is still under construction).
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Larry on June 02, 2003, 02:41:46 PM
I read the replies I'm not sure if some of them are not biased. The sites suggested do not allow me to put a movie on site. I think that they are not comparable with what dot mac have to offer.
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Paddy on June 02, 2003, 05:12:46 PM
I use 0-Catch for one of my sites ( http://www.northandoverinfo.com ) and have been very happy with it.

http://www.0catch.com
http://info.0catch.com/hosting_packages

I just use the "Bronze" plan, at $6.95/mo - more than enough for my needs.

My domain name registration is through GoDaddy.com - also very reasonable at $8.95/yr.

There are lots of other plans out there - including some with more bandwidth for similar fees. One listing:

http://www.hostchart.com/host_budget.asp

Have no idea how any of them are though!
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Larry on June 02, 2003, 05:15:25 PM
http://homepage.mac.com/theworkingclass/Menu1.html

This is my completed web page - I started a new page with the trail package from dot mac. It is far superior than the sites you mentioned.

I have now convinced myself yet again that dot mac is great, thank you Mr Jobs!
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: krissel on June 02, 2003, 10:55:09 PM
Not to burst your bubble but I waited for 3 minutes for your page to load and came here to post this....just checked the other window again, still loading.

Unless someone is on broadband or system X, Apple's .mac accounts are either totally or barely unusable for thousands of people. You should read the complaints at their help site which ironically is the only area I can get to myself. I have a .mac account that I can only access from my parents's eMac, never from home. It is totally useless to me. I even have trouble getting to the pages I put up before I paid for the account last fall. I really wish I could get my money back. sad.gif

...your page is still loading...

I'm curious to see if others have as much difficulty with your page and what they use to connect. I'm on dialup.

Page finally finished. Took about 7 minutes. Am now waiting for the next page to load....
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: kps on June 03, 2003, 12:31:44 AM
If I wanted my business to project a professional image, .Mac would not be my first choise...neither would be a @hotmail email addy for the executive director... that's just wacko.gif

A true hosting service, combined with your business' domain name, will provide you with many features and benefits non existent with .Mac or any other ISP "homepage" page offering.

.Mac may be easy and the results are pretty good, but a business needs a professional image and that means extra work.  A hotmail address and a .Mac account "ain't gonna cut it". I'd also suggest that you register a domain name for the business.

Look at web sites of your competition or similar businesses and re-think it...

I'm hosted with a UK company, have a look at what they offer...

http://www.ipshosting.com/?vhosting

They're not the cheapest, but the rates are reasonable. They are also the developers of this bulletin board, which we're using here at TS.
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Larry on June 03, 2003, 01:26:28 AM
Krissel the information you gave me is very valuable - thank you. This is a new project for me and I certainly will take on board what you have said thanx.gif
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: krissel on June 03, 2003, 01:45:54 AM
To follow up:

I finally gave up waiting for the second page to load and went elsewhere. A bit later I fired up Netscape 7 (was using IE 5.1.6) and tried again. This time the second page did finally load but it took a couple minutes to complete.

I don't know if I it is Apple's servers or the software that is geared toward X users or what exactly the problem is over there. There are so many other choices for hosting, almost too many. Take some time to look around. You might also check our Archives and do a search as I know this subject has come up many times.

TS Archives

 smile.gif
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Bill on June 03, 2003, 02:18:08 AM
Dialup here also.

I checked with X and 9 using IE. Both were slow like Krissel stated.
Tried Camino in Jag. Still slow loading.
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: jepinto on June 03, 2003, 05:11:13 AM
Maybe it's just me... huh.gif  but the movie on http://homepage.mac.com/theworkingclass/iM...ieTheater2.html doesn't come up.  I get a 2x2 box, a slide bar and blank.  I've waited (read Petra's travelouge while waiting) and come back and then it got weird.  Petra's travelouge shows up in your 2x2 square!  Not all of it, just a jumble of words, superimposed on a night lit cityscape.

I've been able to watch Bill's movies, so I don't think it's my Quicktime settings.....
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Bill on June 03, 2003, 10:03:38 AM
Never worked for me either Jen.
Even went to http://homepage.mac.com/theworkingclass/Menu1.html on the other post and went to the page http://homepage.mac.com/theworkingclass/iM...ieTheater2.html ... nothing.

2x2 square,Q/T bar also.

At first was thinking the slowness could be due too the movie having a hard time loading.?.
Think it still goes back to mac.com. For me,mac.com has always been slow.
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Larry on June 03, 2003, 02:35:31 PM
A chap on ichat suggested that my movie might be too big - on Quicktime  8kb, 7514 bytes. He suggested that I should use Quicktime pro. Would that make any difference?
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: Bill on June 03, 2003, 09:54:41 PM
clp62,

Large wise,maybe so.

I waited a long time just to see if the Q/T bar would start loading. Never did.
Title: Need advice on site creation/marketing/web hosting
Post by: kelly on June 04, 2003, 08:30:21 AM
clp62. Don't know if it will help with this. smile.gif

But in my opinion. QT Pro is well worth getting. smile.gif