Techsurvivors
Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: SnowWitch on June 09, 2003, 05:42:27 PM
-
I bit the bullet today and signed up for DSL.....self install kit should be here by Thursday. It will probably be set up on the p.c. but would eventually like to network to the iBook. How do I know if the iBook has a PCMCIA? (What is it?) I know it has the ethernet card (at least I am pretty sure it does) and if and when I decide to network, and go wireless, does the Apple Airport work for the p.c. too, once I have the card installed in the iBook. I can just see this can of worms opening up......
<---- and that's what I'll be doing.....thanks for any info.....trish
-
Your iBook does not have PCMCIA. It's a card slot mostly found on laptops (e.g. PowerBook).
Yes, your iBook does have an ethernet card.
For sharing your DSL connection with PC and iBook you are going to need a router. You could build one yourself by using an old PC and run Linux, but it's a hassle. Hence, it is much easier to buy a DSL router. A lot of companies produces routers. Netgear (www.netgear.com) is very good, IMO.
Another option would be to get an AirPort 2 Base Station. It has DSL routing built-in and you can connect your PC and iBook to it.
The AirPort 2 and AirPort Extreme Base Stations are Windows compatible so you could connect your PC to it as well, but if it's a desktop PC connecting it via wireless LAN is too expensive, in my eyes.
I think a DSL router is the best solution for your problem.
-
Thanks for the info Spartacus. I think a DSL router might be the easiest, but I will be back when the time comes......I suppose I could just bring the iBook out to the DSL modem as well......trish
-
Trish. Routers are pretty cheap.

One example.
http://dealmac.com/articles/51876.html
A Router gives you the advantage of having a Firewall.
Let us know how it's going.
-
Thanks Kelly...the DSL equipment is on the way and should be here by Friday...so you know how I will be spending my weekend....I am actually not going to try the networking just yet. (maybe next weekend
) I will install the software in the iBook and just bring it out to the living room to connect.....I'm sure you will hear from me.....screaming thru cyberspace....trish