Techsurvivors

Welcome to Techsurvivors => Tech => Topic started by: kimmer on March 25, 2010, 11:51:35 AM

Title: Wis. college says new e-mail font will save money
Post by: kimmer on March 25, 2010, 11:51:35 AM
Yahoo Linky Thingy done in Arial


or

Yahoo Linky Thingy done in Century Gothic
Title: Wis. college says new e-mail font will save money
Post by: Paddy on March 25, 2010, 02:54:46 PM
One has to wonder how many people actually print emails - and how much of a difference this will really make. I print maybe 4 or 5 emails a YEAR. I don't think I'm unusual in that either.

Methinks the efforts to save money might be better expended elsewhere. rolleyes.gif
Title: Wis. college says new e-mail font will save money
Post by: Xairbusdriver on March 25, 2010, 03:03:27 PM
Uhmn...it's not just a "font" choice, but the different 'styles' that are available: Bold, Bold/Italic, Bold/Italic/Condensed, Bold/Italic/Condensed/18pt, etc., etc. As one poster stated, "I wonder how much money was wasted on the 'study'?" wallbash.gif Me thinks someone at the school is sweating about their job being cut...and with good cause, IMHO. rolleyes.gif

And, while the cost estimate for a gallon of OEM ink is actually a little low, I'll be happy to sell them as many gallons as they'd like at $4,9999.95 each, with FREE shipping! Where I buy my ink, it's on sale right now for ~$81/gallon, normally $95. Of course, that does not include shipping. Still, I can probably get the company to drop ship to the school and I'll still pay the freight. Even if they only buy 10 gallons! What a deal! laughhard.gif
Title: Wis. college says new e-mail font will save money
Post by: Paddy on March 25, 2010, 03:19:54 PM
And another thing - I'd be really surprised if they were using that many inkjet printers in a university. Universities typically have workhorse laser printers - cheaper to run, more durable etc.
Title: Wis. college says new e-mail font will save money
Post by: Xairbusdriver on March 25, 2010, 03:32:07 PM
I don't know if they were cheaper to buy when they bought what they have, but their prices have certainly declined. Whether that will have a negative impact on their durability remains to be seen. Of course, their toner is not cheap, either, although usually much less per page. And they usually have a built-in function to use a toner-saving printing method, also. thumbup.gif

I've not looked for operating costs based on energy consumption, however. I'd suspect that a fairly frequently used laser may use more electricity because of the toner heater? Of course, that could help cut heating costs, which in Wisconsin, are probably much higher than down here... laughhard.gif

Then, there is the cost of paper...probably a whole 8.5 by 11 sheet, no matter how short the message. For multi-page messages, many lasers can use duplex printing, possibly saving a lot of paper, too. which reminds me about my checking on printer paper many. many years ago. At that time, pin-feed paper was cheaper in 8.5 by 11 inch sections than those with smaller pieces; 85. by 5.5, etc. So, the choice was, buy more expensive paper to avoid wasting the cheaper paper... wallbash.gif wacko.gif rofl.gif
Title: Wis. college says new e-mail font will save money
Post by: kimmer on March 25, 2010, 11:46:52 PM
QUOTE(Paddy @ Mar 25 2010, 11:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
One has to wonder how many people actually print emails - and how much of a difference this will really make. I print maybe 4 or 5 emails a YEAR. I don't think I'm unusual in that either.

That was my first thought as well. I can't even remember the last email I printed.  Thinking.gif  However, I do have a few friends who print everything -- and I do mean everything. Every email. Every web page article. Every cartoon. Everything. I'm guessing they kill a forest a year between them.  rolleyes.gif

And if I'm going to print something -- I'll print it in a font I find readable and enjoyable, not a font that saves a drop or two of ink.
Title: Wis. college says new e-mail font will save money
Post by: hingyfan on March 29, 2010, 08:39:38 PM
Print?
What is print?
Title: Wis. college says new e-mail font will save money
Post by: Xairbusdriver on March 30, 2010, 06:54:42 PM
It is so rare to ever see an email with something I'd want to "preserve" on paper...present company's messages excepted, of course!!! rofl.gif