Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: MrsLop on June 12, 2003, 11:42:53 AM

Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 12, 2003, 11:42:53 AM
Someone Please Help me, wallbash.gif

I took the cover off my computer in regard to another posting and directions from someone on TS.  In order to do so, I had to disconnect everything first.  I reconnected everthing and now am getting a Black screen.  I have a 6100/60AV Mac.  I don't know what to do  The light comes on for the Monitor and my Processor,
Keyboard lights come on. I have unplugged and replugged everything, several times to no avail.  How can I get my screen back to normal?
Thanks in advance.
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: Spartacus on June 12, 2003, 11:50:48 AM
So you opened your Mac?
What exactly did you do?
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: kelly on June 12, 2003, 11:52:14 AM
Is your monitor turned on? smile.gif
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 12, 2003, 12:00:45 PM
Hi Lukas and Kelly,
I just took notes on everything I could see:ie: barcodes, what the object was, if stated.  I then returned the cover to its' original position.  I replugged all the plugs to their original positions.  The Monitor light comes on, I just have no picture.  The speakers (built-in to the Monitor) give an audible sound.  I just don't see anything. Sigh.
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: kelly on June 12, 2003, 12:06:46 PM
Try turning your monitor off and on again. smile.gif
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 12, 2003, 12:24:45 PM
wallbash.gif Kelly,
I have turned the Monitor on and off - ad nauseum..
It still gives me a Black Screen.  The Keyboard works is there a Command that I can enter using it or the Mouse?  I have also unplugged and reconnected - three times.  I am just hopeless.  I should have never responded to that request.  Mia culpa, mia culpa, mia maxima culpa.
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: Bruce_F on June 12, 2003, 12:28:47 PM
On that computer, the PRAM battery determines if the monitor lights up or not.

That might be the only problem.

The PRAM battery or Clock battery is a squatty little thing. It looks like a cut off AA battery. You can find them at Radio Shack for about $5 to $7. It might be worth a trip to the store and replace it, if nothing else, to rule it out.
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: kelly on June 12, 2003, 12:41:02 PM
Yeah. I was going to get to the PRAM Battery. smile.gif

Mrs. L. Don't blame yourself for this.

It most likely is a little computer battery.

They run out of juice eventually and then these things happen.

Not your fault. Just coincidence. smile.gif

Here's what you need.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Item_Specials.cf...&Item=OWCMAC36V

$6 plus a few dollars shipping.

Or check the Radio Shack if you have one.

This will last several years.

This is not a big deal. just inconvenient. smile.gif
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 12, 2003, 12:43:07 PM
Hello Bruce_F,
Well, I just unplugged everything for the fourth time.  I set my timer for one hour - to give me and the PC some time to cool off.  I had this problem when I first plugged in the Computer.  I don't know how or why the Monitor Screen came on again, it just did. I hope that it is something that is an inexpensive and easy fix.  I'll let everyone know if does.  If not, do I have to take the cover off again, to find the little battery thingy?  I have a good brain just not a technical one.  wallbash.gif
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: Gregg on June 12, 2003, 12:49:02 PM
And by the way, that little battery is what keeps your computer's internal clock ticking when the computer is turned off. Clocks showing the wrong time are usually the first clue that a new battery is needed. As kelly said, in your case it may just be an unfortunate coincidence.

From what I've read in your posts, you're doing really well. Printing is working, and you still have the energy to explore inside the box. With everyone here pulling for you, you're gonna be fine!

Gregg
smile.gif
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: Bruce_F on June 12, 2003, 12:56:50 PM
My 6115CD, very similar to yours, had a finicky monitor cord. That might the problem with yours too. Make sure that you are careful about plugging the monitor in, but make sure you get it firmly in place.

The battery is not hard to replace and yes you'll have to open the computer to get to it. I don't recall exactly where the battery is located, but it's easy to spot. There's a plastic thing snapped on top of it, if I remember correctly. If not, you'll see it easily enough. Like I said, the battery looks like a cut off AA battery.

Try securing the monitor plug first. If you still get the black screen, then try the battery. The battery is one of the easiest things to replace and by far the cheapest!
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: Bruce_F on June 12, 2003, 01:00:55 PM
Here's a link to a battery page.
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 12, 2003, 01:05:43 PM
Gregg,
I don't think I deserve the confidence TS members have shown in me.  I have no Computer skills to speak of.  I don't even own a book on the subject, I have no manual, I have no modem, the list goes on ...I have Radiation Treatment at 3:30PM today.  I am sitting here shaking with fear about what I don't know and even more fears about attempting to do what I need to do to get this Computer up and running, printing and connected to the internet.  If it wasn't for TS, my Mac would still be sitting there with nothing to do.  
Where is this battery located ? Can I remove it without disturbng and breaking anything really important?  Thanks so much for all the help...
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 12, 2003, 01:14:28 PM
thanx.gif Bruce_F,
I will remove the cover when my hands stop shaking and see where the battery is located.  When my husband drives me to my Radiation Treatment this afternoon, we can stop at the Radio Shack and pick up the PRAM Battery.
I will go to the site you suggested first, though.
Thanks for your patience.
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: RHPConsult on June 12, 2003, 01:23:53 PM
Myrna:

Are you getting e-mail on your Mac yet? Or are you still on WebTV? My first attempt to send you the 6100 Manual via WebTV, as you know, failed.

Can you get it on your Mac, now?

DP
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 12, 2003, 04:30:08 PM
Good Evening All,
Here is what happened:
1-I followed the link that Bruce_F posted and followed the instructions. Voile new Battery installed.
 clap.gif
2- I replaced the cover
3- I made sure all the connections were plugged in and snug
4- I turned on the Processor
5- I turned on the Monitor

It flickered on and went off again wallbash.gif

Now, my logial mind says:
1-the plug from the Monitor to the Processor is shorted out; or
2- the main Monitor Cable is shorted out
3- Unknown reason - we'll call it the X Factor
OK, all you TS people who know the answer to this problem feel free to jump in any time, now.
I suppose, I could try to go out and replace the cord, first.  I just don't know!
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: pendragon on June 12, 2003, 05:11:52 PM
MrsL, If I remember your system correctly, (a very big IF) on the front of your monitor/display are several small buttons. If so, one of them is the brightness control. With luck, the brightness somehow got turned off/set to black. And if that is the case, pushing and holding one of them (sorry, I do not know which one) may turn on the light/adjust the brightness. At any rate, it is probably worth a try.

Harv
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 12, 2003, 05:32:32 PM
clap.gif Good Evening Harv,
I went back to the Computer after supper and turned up both the controls.  Sure enough, the Color Screen was there.  When I returned to the TS Forum you had posted your answer, which was 100% correct.  
I send my sincere:thanx:
This has been a real adventure for me.  Now, maybe I can get back to trying to find out good things like ISP service and getting a modem and correct cords and such etc..
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: pendragon on June 12, 2003, 05:51:51 PM
Woohoo! You go gal! Glad it all worked out.

Harv
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: kelly on June 12, 2003, 07:48:56 PM
Mrs. L. One thing. smile.gif

Enough of this fear business regarding that computer.

There's no need for fear with any computer. Especially that one.

To put it in perspective.

That computer is worth maybe $20.

I know you have a lot of hope about what you can do with it.

But you should know there's a lot of people here who want to help.

If you ever did "break" it.

You will receive another one like it or better.

But then again. You won't "break" it.

So enough with the fear already. wink.gif
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: Bernie on June 12, 2003, 09:43:44 PM
Boy! Your doing Great Mrs. Lop smile.gif I remember the first time I  opened a Mac to  pull out the Internal 28.8 Modem. It was on a Performa 6320 CD . I wanted to  have faster dail-up connection speed. I purchased an external Modem that connected to the Serial port. Anyway, I was shaking like a leaf not knowing what exactly to do.  I finally connected once the chore of installing the Modem's software. smile.gif  Stick around  TS and You'll be amazed how many people here will help you.  Right Kelly! "Yes bern, Think of it as two computers'   (first time advise installing a Slave drive)   wacko.gif
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 12, 2003, 10:19:51 PM
Evening Bernie,
Thanks for your encouragement.  Everyone on this Board has been very supportive of my efforts.  I have received huge amounts of resource information and links to other "old mac" sites. I am very blessed to have TS people with the patience to deal with my questions and problems. thanx.gif
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MamaMoose on June 12, 2003, 11:29:49 PM
MrsLop,

You afraid of a bunch chips and plastics!!!! You have demonstrated your courage in facing Rad Therapy every day for many weeks. You have hundreds of people in the TS community eager and willing to help.

Enough of your pleading ignorance of computers. You already have demonstrated a good logical mind (which is what you have to have to work with these "beasts") in solving many problems. And, you have learned a very critical lesson: Lean, lean on TS folks - they are ready, willing, able to help 24/7.

Please do not let the computer stress you out - stress is not good for what you are going thru. Focus on those high energy photons and particles that are attacking the bad guys (cells).

You go gal!

MamaMoose
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: Gregg on June 13, 2003, 07:47:31 AM
MrsLop, you probably needed a new battery anyway. wink.gif

A general rule I've found to be true is that 9 times out of 10 a computer (Mac) problem has a simple solution. It's just a matter of knowing what to try until you find the right one.

You're doing as well or better than most of us, well, speaking for myself anyway. Pretty soon, you'll be helping other newbies with their computer problems, because you've been there! I started out as a mere user, letting my office (Windows) 'expert' handle any problems. It's a new ballgame when you're the owner.

Congratulations, "Sherlock"! You found the answer on your own before finding it here. notworthy.gif
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 13, 2003, 08:31:18 AM
Good Morning Gregg,
Experience has taught me that a little bit of knowledge in the wrong hands can be dangerous.
I know that there are some who think that I am silly for getting upset.  I cannot afford some of the things that others may take for granted - even a few hundred dollars for a "newer computer" is out of reach.  Life threatening  illness is expensive to treat and that is where all our money is going.  So, if it seems that I err on the side of caution when it comes to this "old mac", it's because I can't afford to replace it.  My husband has a school computer which is maintained by student volunteers from Providence College.  He is the most wonderful husband, yet when it comes to computers not working, he is as baffled as I am. He is happy for my having found a way to work out the problems I encounter with this "old mac", they don't have any mac users at his school.  It's a small school.
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 13, 2003, 08:42:41 AM
Gregg,
I found out at another website posted by Bruce_F that old macs that have dying batteries display a date of 1956 as a symptom.  Yes, I did need a new battery, as my mac was dislaying that symptom.
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 13, 2003, 08:48:54 AM
Bruce_F,
I was amazed that the price of Radio Shacks batteries for my mac was
$ 12+ .  I am a dinosaur in my own age when it comes to prices concerning computers and related supplies.  Is that considered to be a lot of money for a 3.6V Lithium Battery?
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: kelly on June 13, 2003, 10:59:59 AM
Mrs. L. Communicating can be hard enough Face to Face. smile.gif

Doing it with a keyboard can be doubly difficult.

"I know that there are some who think that I am silly for getting upset."

I do not think you're silly for being upset.

I'm only trying to allay your anxieties.

And, trust me. I understand about not having a lot of money.

Please take all my words as they are meant.

With your best interest in mind. smile.gif

Yes. That's a normal price for Radio Shack Batteries.

You can save a few dollars on line.

But then you have to wait for them. smile.gif

Here's another good place to learn about mac stuff.

http://www.macobserver.com/columns/firstma...uly/990714.html

http://www.macobserver.com/columns/firstmac/index.html
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: Bernie on June 13, 2003, 11:32:25 AM
Hope you got this link. Very good info. site for older Macs smile.gif
Here you go Mrs. Lop,
http://w3.trib.com/~dwood/oldmac.shtml
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 13, 2003, 11:43:33 AM
Kelly,
Thank you.  Quick question: why under groups where your id is does it say Admin and others say Member?
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: kelly on June 13, 2003, 11:52:03 AM
There are certain of us Members who started this Site. smile.gif

http://www.techsurvivors.net/mission.html

Some of us do different things in helping it run.

Being an Admin gives us the ability to Edit or Delete Posts.

Also to enter the Admin Forum. smile.gif
Title: BIG Problem: Black Screen
Post by: MrsLop on June 13, 2003, 11:57:18 AM
Bernie,
Thanks.  I will take a look at all the sites later.  My "bwain feews wike it is about weddy to expwode."  Seriously, I need to get some rest time in.  Yesterday, was a rugged day - at which point I wondered if I should just pick up my Sherlock Holmes book and read and forget all about computers.  Glad I didn't.  I stuck with TS and together we all got the problems solved.