Techsurvivors
Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: Raven on July 06, 2003, 09:01:06 PM
-
I've never used eBay and am wondering if this is something to consider.
I use a G4/400 now and would love to move up (especially with the flat panel screen!) if the price was right. Not ready for a G5 yet.
Whaddya think? Where is the best deal to get the last of the 1GB+ G4's?
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewIt...&category=14912
-
A lot of feedback duplications on his record, I would tend to be cautious. Be sure and check out the negative as well as the neutral postings.
-
Skimmed through the sellers last ten or so sales.
$5/$6/$20 items.
Two negative feedbacks on late delivery or payment?
Would I buy a G4 from ebay? Yes. Did.
Would I buy from this seller? Well I doubt it.
-
I've bought many of my Macs off of eBay. Be cautious of their feedback rating and how many negatives do they have and why.
A lot of buying, but only until you go back to January of this year was there a sale.
He does hold a less than .5% negative feedback rating, that's good for over 500 auctions (buying and selling).
That package deal is fully loaded and is atleast worth $3000 in the open market, about $5000+ if purchased new when the items first came out, going right now for under $900. I'd bet it will have a lot of last second bidders that will get the price up there some.
I'd be hesitant to bid, but the auction item itself looks great!
If you do decide on bidding and win the auction, opt for an escrow service (this is important!). They will hold your money until you recieve delivery of your purchase, check it out and you give them the okay to release your money to the seller or not.
-
Nope! But I don't go to casino's either. I guess I'd rather buy from a known entity for a little more money than take a shot in the dark (especially when I can't see that the 'gun' may actually be pointed at me!
).
I guess I look at eBay like investing - never pay more than I am willing to lose (and that ain't much!). Seems to me the buyer is doing all the research, risk taking and spending, all the seller has to do is write captivating copy and deliver what s/he says. There is no guarantee, support, or easy recourse. On some items, you don't even know if has been legally imported into the country! Again, that is all pretty much up to the buyer.
But that's just my opinion and you know what that's worth!
-
This item, if and when it does sell, will go for WAY more than $900!!! I've got news for you - if you bought the dual 1.25GHz from Apple (they don't sell the 1.4 GHz any more) configured this way, it would come to a whopping $9,055. And that's without the Bluetooth module and OS X server. Sure, you could knock off a few hundred here and there putting in your own RAM and hard drives...but it still isn't going to be anyone's idea of a steal when all is said and done. In all likelihood, if it does sell, it will go for more than a new G5.
Unless you're looking to do video production or something, this is a LOT more storage etc. than the average user could possibly need. What exactly are you looking for Raven, apart from something faster than a G4 400?
BTW - I put a 1GHz Sonnet card in my G4 a while back - been quite pleased with the performance boost. Now there are even faster cards available. Might think about that as a way to "tide you over" - since I assume one of the reasons you're not going for a G5 yet is the cost.
-
Something smells.
Two displays, one machine, speakers, keyboard and only $12.00 shipping?
-
Yah, my better judgement thought this was too good of a deal. I don't know how to play the eBay game, so I will leave it alone. I'm not into gambling.
Paddy,
As a designer I want to move up - need a faster Mac with more HD capacity and OSX. Now using 9.1 with QuarkXpress, Photoshop 5.5 and Freehand 9. I am not a techie enought to know how to add components to my existing G4/400, so I won't go there!
I've purchased new models/OS off the shelf twice before, and even doing that with adjustments to my peripherals and OS gave me a few days down time, which I hate when I am in the middle of design projects.
So I am thinking I want a newer G4. I need time to learn OSX and have to figure out what SCSI peripherals I have to delete or adapt.
So I need some kind of game plan to make the transition, and THAT is where I need some good advice. In my small town, I have no Mac dealers and few Mac users. You folks are my best bet for advice.
-
I wouldn't buy a G4 off ebay unless the seller had a lot of recent good sales and you can email the winners and see if they got what was in the auction and it works. I use eBay a lot, just as a buyer, my eBay ID is byter133. I have had not problem with buying, I even bought my Sonnet G3 upgrade for my PM8600 on ebay from Sonnet, they sell on eBay too under sonnet_dealdesk, they aren't selling right now but I put them in my favorites on my eBay. I see a lot of G4 Powerbooks for auction on eBay, but they look too good to be true. There are resellers there who sell like stores but even some of them are crooks, I think they do it when thier sales go down. They get charged for any thing with a starting bid at $10.00 or higher, thats why we see a lot of $9.99 starting bid auctions. It is a crap shoot but you have to look good at feed backs, oh there is a old Mac product seller called olde mac milt who is reliable, I have bought off him and had no problems.
-
Raven. First I would not buy off ebay, for a lot of reasons.

I agree that getting a G4 instead of a G5 might be best for you.
There's lots of online venders. Not to mention Apple itself.
Dual 1.42s are still out there. But Dual 1.25s will save a lot of money.
http://new.lowendmac.com/ppc/deals.html
http://dealmac.com/sections/systems.html
Personally I don't see a big problem with a transition.
Get your new machine, Partition the drive, copy over old stuff.
You'll need to find the best available SCSI Card if you need that.
Otherwise, not a big deal.
Just have OS X in it's own Partition and learn from it as you will.
Use it when you've updated your software over time.
-
Actually I emailed this seller about this item. It's not $888. I thought it was waaaaay too cheap also. I told him that his ad was misleading. If you wanted the G4 with the two monitors it was 3500. If you wanted the G4 with only the 23", he told me 2500. I think the ad was done that way so that he could weed out the true buyers. He mentioned in his email that they had problems with buyers not paying.
Yes, he had two negative, but it was for him buying something, NOT selling. Plus the fact that his feedback is over 590 positives, personally makes me wonder about those sellers, not so much him as a buyer.
I bought my G3 laptop from eBay, great deal. I actually made wonderful friends out of the deal. (no extra charge). If you feel good about a deal.. do it. If you don't.... then don't.
I've purchased over 100 items from ebay including my laptop and car. I've only had two deals that were not great.
One was a duplicate, duplicate of a duplicate videotape. But since I didn't ask if it was an original, I accept partial blame.
The other was a piece of software where they sent the wrong thing and when I tried to straighten the problem out the person had changed their email. I wasn't going to chase them all over the planet for $15. The worst part was that it took so long, I missed my opportunity to post negative feedback.
That would have been my first and only post of negative feedback. I posted neutral on the video.
If you have any questions about buying.. feel free to contact me.
-
Raven.
How long can you wait before needing or wanting a newer machine?
What would be your top dollar amount on the investment?
From what you've described on the usage of the newer machine it would be a toss up on either a G5 or G4 because as already stated they both have pluses and cons.
Personally my money would be on a G4 but thats me.
If you could wait a few weeks [or so] you'll most likely see the G4s go down even more in price. Also, regarding ebay. Given a choice between ebay and some sort of personal contact .... take a guess which holds the votes. <gr>
-
Kelly, Bill,
Thanks for your suggestions. I won't buy a G4 off eBay. Case closed.
Now it's a matter of looking at the latest G4 before the G5's come out. I don't have to be on the cutting edge, and when the price is right, I'll buy (whenever that is! ;-) )
Kelly, you mentioned it's "not a big deal" to you, but I'm a rookie at all that. Partition? I don't even know how to do that, etc. So I appreciate your level of expertise, but I'm not in the league you're in. :-)
I may start a new thread to get all the good TS folks to help me walk through my transition from OS9 to X, and from G4/400 to Dual G4, and how to handle my SCSI devices, etcetera.
The most important factor for me is that I can't have downtime if I am working on important design projects. It has to be a smooth transition.
I would work on my existing system, then gradually convert to my new system (new G4 with OSX). It's very important for me to be able to work in QX in OS9 for a period of time.
Once the conversion is complete, then sell off the old system to recover some of my costs for the new one. If that makes sense!
More later.
-
Makes perfect sense Raven.
One thought. If you didn't want to go through the partitioning (yet it isn't that much of a big deal), you could try and find a machine [used] where the owner already has the drive/drives partitioned or 'ask' him/her to do so.
-
Hey Raven
To answer the original question
“Would you buy a G4 off eBay?”
Yes I would, but that’s me.
Like lvixen, I have purchased many items from eBay through the years and only got partly burnt once, on a SCSI adaptors for my powerbook, that required X 30 pins, and I got one with Y 29? But they sent me a second adaptor thinking the first was just faulty, turns out the whole batch was.
For your needs, I wouldn’t recommend starting out your eBay experience purchasing a G4$, you should get your feet wet first, there’s a learning curve like most other worthwhile endeavors.
Kelly, Paddy, Bill, ABD, and the whole crew at TS have a knack for finding good deals on hardware/software, you probably couldn’t find a better resource on the planet.
-
Thanks you all.
Let me review my notes, get my head around this and post back for further advice.
Have a great day!
-
Further fishiness....
"The seller ended this listing early because the item is no longer available for sale." - uh huh. Bet ya anything he sold it via email. Dodged the eBay percentage fee...and just paid the listing fee. And IAWJ - something very not right about the $12 shipping.
So, back to the what to do now problem...
Me - if I was in your position, I'd wait for the G5, or spend $500 now and upgrade the Sawtooth's processor (which REALLY, REALLY isn't hard - they give you very good instructions, and all you have to do is follow them.) and then wait for the 3GHz dual G5's next year. Upgrading the processor in my machine took all of 10 minutes - shut down, open machine, remove clips holding down heat sink (as per instructions), remove heat sink (two screws methinks...memory fuzzy), pull out old processor, install new processor, replace heat sink and clips...close door, reboot and zoom! No down time at all. Read the reviews of processor upgrades at http://www.xlr8yourmac.com
I know it's a bit scary the first time you do something inside your Mac, but it's a fear well worth conquering. The first time I installed RAM I was SURE I was going to screw up and destroy everything. Nope. Did that a few times on a few different machines and then moved on to adding a new hard drive or two. Then added a few processor upgrades (including to machines that were much more complicated to get into, lacking nice latching doors) and in the past year have rebuilt a couple of PeeCees even. Usually no more than a screw driver is required - most of it is no more complicated than plugging things in. And we're here to help! 
OWC Sawtooth upgrade options
Or, if you prefer to go with a G4, here's a really good deal:
http://dealmac.com/articles/53102.html - but buy more RAM (1GB would be good) from a RAM dealer.
-
Raven. Please don't underestimate yourself.

This stuff is not Rocket Science.
You can easily handle Partitioning and such. Trust me. 
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61301
"The only thing to fear is fear itself".
Aside from that. Doesn't happen often. But I don't agree with Paddy on this.
I don't see you getting by with an Upgrade before a Revision 2 G5 or such.
I think you want a decent machine that will last a few years and Boots OS 9.
IMO. A Dual 1.25 from Apple or someone similar fits that bill.
You could wait for the price to go down and save a hundred bucks.
Or just go ahead and get one. And start making money with it.
My 2 more cents.
-
I hear both of you. I'll get back on this.
A continuing series...
:-)
-
Do you think a G4/1.25Ghz here is a good price or shall I wait for a the price to go down somemore before the G5s roll out?
I read the 1.25 Ghz is a good model for the price.
Is Refurbished from Small Dog a safe bet? I've also read they have a good reputation. Not sure if they ship into Canada.
http://www.smalldog.com/SmallDogPriceList.txt
-
The $1299 one? Yeah that's a good price.

I'd probably try for a Dual OS 9.x Bootable myself but that's pretty good.
Smalldog is the best there is. That's where I got my Refurb machine.
And lots of other things from them.
Yes they'll ship to Canada.
You might want to look at this.
Hosed by UPS - Again
http://new.lowendmac.com/misc/03/0623.html
-
I think Kelly is talking about this one.
G4/1.25GHzDP 2MBL3/256/80/Combo /Rad9000 OS 9 Bootable n b/o 1599.00
Does the "n" mean it's new? that seems like a good deal.
Raven,
I kind of went through the same thing this Spring. I wanted an OS9-OSX bootable machine.
I got a lot of help from Kelly, Paddy and Bill.
After they gave me all the info I needed I went ahead and bought a refurbished G4 933 that runs OS9 and OS 10.2.6 very nicely.
I guess the best advice that set me straight was I had to make up my own mind.
They sure gave me a lot of info though.
-
Raven.
This is slightly off one of the topics on this thread yet in an odd (many here think I'm odd anyways, so what the heck <gr>) way it's not.
This was just a test ... nothing but a test to prove nothing actually.
Way back when I posted a speed test proposal [with photoshop] when the mirror machines first came out.
Later on Cyberpet came up with another test that I personally liked a lot.
I have a PM 933.
After awhile some of the big boys that had photoshop jumped in with their gig machines.
---- PLUS DIANA with a windows machine ----
Basically both Petras (aka CyberPet) test and my own came out with what I (at least) expected.
Can't recall all the players. Maybe someone else can fill in the gaps.
Bruce F - Bil207 both had the top scores with Macs.
Diana kicked everyones butt with her windows machine. <BIG GRIN>
But my 933 was right behind the big guns.!.
Bil207 back then had a 1gig quicksilver. Not sure if he has a new machine now or what.
Bruce F had/has a dual mirror. Correct me if I'm wrong guys.
I think bil207 edged out Bruce Fs mirror machine by mere seconds.
While my 933 was a few seconds behind Bruce F.
Hey! Think gmann and his 933 was in there also.
By no means was either CyberPets test or mine cheat prove but we all did our best to keep our noses short.
Example I used my 'casio' wristwatch as a stopwatch.
Kps I think said he was using a timex.
Bruce F was using photoshops timer.
bil207 was most likely using a $25,000 rolex. <gr>
Anyways, my point is ...... there really wasn't that much of a difference between the gig machines and my 933. At least back then anyways.
I was pleased and still am with my 933 performance.
Picked up a second as a back up even.
/This is the end\ *Doors*
-
Another endorsement for Smal Dog here. For either a new mac or refurb Small Dog is a top notch Apple reseller ( and I love those little dogs).
Bill, I still have my QS and although the new G5 is tempting I'm waiting for at least a rev. B. I don't mind being a liitle cutting edge on the software side but when it comes to the hardware I'll let others take the point.
-
OK, you've got me started... :-)
Questions Re: G4/1.25GHz at Small Dogs...
Does OS9 bootable MEAN that I can boot in 9 to use my older QuarkXpress 3.32 program, AND have the option to boot into OSX, so I can learn and play with it?
Isn't that the same as using Classic in OSX for QX3.32?
Do you have to boot out of one OS each time you use the other? Which would be a pain, right?
Does this G4 have a built in CD Burner that would replace the Yamaha SCSI unit I have now, so I don't need to buy another separate unit? Which means I get to sell the Yamaha and get some $ back?
How NEW is this /when did this unit first come out?...
G4/1.25GHzDP 2MBL3/256/80/Combo /Rad9000 OS 9 Bootable
Will it go down in price somemore before the G5s come out, or when would be a good time to get it before they are all gone off the market?
I like the price and the OS9 factor cause I still haven't figured out how to upgrade (if I even want to!) Quark Xpress.
-
Raven. I assumed you were talking about the Single Processor.

Whatever.
OS X likes Dual Processors and will do more things at once with them.
How new is that Dual 1.25?
It's either brand new or the Revision before the Firewire 800s.
Not sure which. You could ask them. Not that old in any case.
The Combo is a built in Combination CD Burner DVD Player.
It won't Burn DVDs, that's the SuperDrive. Combo is fine for you I think.
Boot into OS 9 is not the same as Classic.
You can Boot from either and do what you want.
Other machines run OS 9.x in Classic Mode but don't Boot OS 9.x.
Being able to Boot OS 9. x assures you can run all your old Software.
Running it in Classic, maybe, maybe not.
Will the price go down? Maybe. Probably.
Will they sell out and be harder to find. Maybe.
Will you win the Lottery? Maybe.
I'd say get it and get it over with. If it's still available.
You aren't the only one looking for a newer computer. 
I just looked again. That machine is listed as b/o. Back Ordered.
-
"but when it comes to the hardware I'll let others take the point."
Me three.
3gig G5 .. Temptation .. knock-knock.?.
-
Raven:
Views of a rank "amateur" who once was fearful of X.
No more.
"Bootable" means that "Yes" if you press OPTION at bootup time, you get a choice of 9x or 10x.
HOWEVER, prepare to be surprised how seamlessly X (with Classic running, of course) will work will older apps . . . whether it was promised to be so, or not.
Therefore, if you stay in X until it's absolutely clear that 9-Lite (=Classic) won't do the job you may be pleasantly amazed how much "works", without the necessity to use 9.2.2 (industrial strength) as the boot OS.
At least, that's been my experience.
BTW: It's nice to see you 'round these parts, again. You are a TS-vet, for sure.
Oh yes, one more cheer for Small Dog, from the far West.