Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: MrsLop on July 10, 2003, 03:01:08 PM

Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 10, 2003, 03:01:08 PM
Greetings to All from Sunny Rhode Island,
First let me say "Thank You" for your concern, prayers and good wishes.
I have had a few emails inquiring about my health,  what I have been doing and when I would be returning to the TS Forum.
I have been away from the Board for a while.  My Radiation Treatments left me totally sapped of energy far more quickly than anticipated. By the way, my Radiation team told me my Treatments end on July 28th.  I had no idea.  I just try to take it one day at a time and not look too far ahead.
This whole journey started back on December 19th of 2002, with the removal of the tumor and it seems like it is taking a very long time to reach completion.  

I had some very strange pains in my head and it really frightened me.  I decided that I needed to lighten up, relax take an armchair Tennis vacation and watch Wimbledon, and catch up on my reading. I read about 700+ pages of Sherlock Holmes and just started to reread the Tolkien series.  I finished the Hobbit (300+pages)in one sitting, yesterday.

I had been trying to learn too much, too quickly.  My commitment to learning about all things Mac related has not changed, but my time frames have.  I realize that my brain  is not cooperating in assimilating Technical information of any kind, in the time frame that I am used to.  I don't know if it's a side effect of treatments and I don't know if it will last.  It could have just been that I had been trying to do too much at once. I just have to wait and see. The vacation seemed to have helped. The pains in my head  
have become more and more infrequent.  I will be seeing my doctor about these at the end of July.

In the interim, I can try to get up and running within the next two weeks using Cox Cable and running the time out on my WebTV service. (please see my other post on Cable Internet)  

It's great to be back "home".

Myrna
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: CyberPet on July 10, 2003, 04:05:26 PM
Myrna,

I'm glad you're back!  wub.gif

I can totally relate to being whiped out after a treatment, even if I haven't had radiation I'm having cytostatica treatment and that does the trick for me. Blah!

Anyway, catching up on reading and just relax is just what you need. If you're into good stories I'd like to suggest to find the Harry Potter series. It's childrens books, but they are so well written (and fun) that I really enjoy them. I've just finished the 5th book (around 800 pages) and now I can't wait for the 6th book. To read about a wizard boy and his friends is defineatly relaxation for the mind, go into a new world and just enjoy it and all its inhabitants.

Get better soon!  thumbup.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 10, 2003, 04:56:21 PM
Well Hello CyberPet,

I haven't read any Harry Potter books.  It's all the rage in the US.  I did see Harry Potter and the Sorcerers' Stone movie.  It was fun to watch.  
I enjoy reading and I am doing quite a bit lately.
Tolkien is one of my favorite authors.
When I finish my other four books, I will give the Harry Potter series a try.
 
 thanx.gif for the suggestion.
Good hearing from you again.
Myrna
PS What is Cytostatica?
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: CyberPet on July 10, 2003, 06:04:46 PM
Cytostatica is medication that kills bad cells. I get it in injections in affected area so it's more local than getting it through IV.

You'll love the Harry Potter books... nothing can compare to books even if they've done a great job with the movies. smile.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: Dreambird on July 10, 2003, 06:19:10 PM
Hi Myrna!!!  wub.gif

Good to see you again...

You'd be surprised how well the amazing human body recovers... smile.gif My Mom's chemo in 1999-2000 left her with a few things that went away or improved greatly with time when she was through with it.

"One day at a time"... is a very good thing to remember, it's the same thing a friend said to me during some rough times... just take things at your own speed... smile.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 10, 2003, 08:17:32 PM
Oh Dreambird,

You've no idea how much I have missed being "home" on TS.

The side effects vary from being a nuisance and tiresome to downright frightening.

When I discussed the symptoms with the treatment team they just gave me a wide-eyed look of complete surprise and say that it isn't a symptom of "their" treatment.  Yet,when I took an informal poll of the women in the waiting area they ALL admitted to having the same symptoms.
Sometimes I wonder if they really know or if that is a standard reply used when they don't know what to say.  It just seemed odd to me that all the women I spoke with had the same symptoms.

Oh Happy Day - Radiation is over the 28th of this month.  I am tempted to see if I turn all the lights out in the room, if I will "glow" in the dark.  That might come in handy, being a human night light! LOL

Nice to be back among the TS family.

Myrna
  clap.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: Gregg on July 10, 2003, 09:10:39 PM
Reading must be good therapy. I have a son who had knee surgery a few weeks ago. He was laying around reading, now he's sitting around reading. His recovery has been remarkable. But, he's young. My body doesn't heal that quickly, I tell you that for sure!
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: kelly on July 10, 2003, 09:11:52 PM
Mrs. L. Nice to hear from you again. smile.gif

Please don't push too hard with this computer stuff.

Let it come as it will. A bit here. A bit there.

You didn't learn everything you know about tennis all at once. smile.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: Dreambird on July 10, 2003, 09:24:27 PM
Yeah Myrna... I know, they told Mom it had nothing to do with her chemo too when she developed some problems in her legs... but it went away in time when she was done so...  huh.gif

It "did" go away though, and she was very tired too, she complained that she felt like going to bed and sleeping in the middle of the day, which is something she never does... so I said to just do what seemed right! If she felt like having a nap in bed then she should do that... I think she just needed someone to say it was OK... wink.gif

So like Kelly says, don't push yourself beyond your limits, take it easy... we don't plan on going anywhere! We'll be here when you feel up to it...  thumbup.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: kelly on July 10, 2003, 09:35:18 PM
Oh. By the way. I'd read every Holmes story before I was out of Grade School. smile.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 10, 2003, 10:08:52 PM
Hi Gregg,

What happened to your son's knee?

Myrna
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 10, 2003, 10:19:18 PM
Dreambird,

Believe it or not, I am already beginning to feel my energy level rising.  
Chemotherapy for me was like being little more than a zombie.

Thanks for the encouraging words.  I can always count on you to lift my spirits!

I pushed myself to the limits and I paid the price.  I am trying to be kinder and more patient with myself now.

Very good advice you give thanx.gif Myrna
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: Bernie on July 10, 2003, 10:33:26 PM
Howdy Mrs.L smile.gif Glad your back.   clap.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 10, 2003, 10:45:30 PM
kelly,

Thanks.  I do need to be reminded to slow down.

About Sherlock Holmes and his ever faithful friend Watson, the version I was thinking of, the complete Sherlock came in three volumes. Mycroft, his brother, was a really good addition to the list of characters.   I love a good whodunit.  Have you seen the screen interpretations.  The two I liked best were Basil Rathbone as Sherlock Holmes and the made for TV PBS series with Jeremy Brett.
It is so sad that Jeremy Brett passed away.  He did a fine job of portraying Sherlock.
I am very fond of British mystery writers and Dame Agatha Christie is another excellent example.  Again, PBS did a series on both her characters: Hercules Poirot and Miss Jane Marple.
I am steadily accumulating a library of mysteries.  It is funny, but my husband and I noticed that we both had some of the same volumes when we were first married.  He likes all kinds of mysteries.  

Do you have a favorite story of Sherlock Holmes?

Do you find time to read now?

Myrna
I recently started to reread Tolkien.  My son and I have a standing "date" to see the movie versions, usually released in Winter.
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 10, 2003, 10:51:57 PM
Well Hello Bernie,

So nice to hear from you.
I was hoping you would stop by.

I'll email you tomorrow as I have a few questions only you can answer.

I am on the road to a new "Adventure.."

Myrna clap.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: kelly on July 10, 2003, 11:01:26 PM
Yes. The Brett series was incredibly well done. smile.gif

Still read a lot.

This might be interesting Mrs. L I'll see it when it gets to Cable TV.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

http://www.bakerstreetdozen.com/lxgnews.html

http://www.bakerstreetdozen.com/loeg.html

My favorite recent "Detective Fiction" is the Spenser series.

Dreambird likes them too. smile.gif

http://www.spensarium.com/
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: Bernie on July 10, 2003, 11:08:15 PM
Ok Mrs. L. Ask away! I"ll check back tomorrow evening when back from work.  Good night all
Boy what a day  wacko.gif   Time to make some sleep1.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: Gregg on July 11, 2003, 07:29:48 AM
QUOTE(MrsLop @ Jul 10 2003, 9:08 PM)
Hi Gregg,

What happened to your son's knee?

Myrna

 Torn ACL. Playing touch football, landed awkwardly. He's gonna be fine.
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: pendragon on July 11, 2003, 09:04:14 AM
Myrna Rocks! You go gal! biggrin.gif

Harv
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: lvixen on July 11, 2003, 11:03:42 AM
Welcome Back and Congratulations!

I too have gone through the whole surgery, chemo and radiation. I was extremely lucky that my side effects were minimal. It's been a year (in April) since my surgery and it will be a year in August for the end of my radiation treatments. As all have been saying, take it one day at a time. Relax and let things flow. You will get back into the swing of things quicker if you let yourself heal. My friend also had cancer. She and I both also live in Rhode Island. We go to the Cancer Support Group at Kent County the last Monday of the month. If you are in the area, stop by some time if you like. It's from 7-8pm. Glad to hear of another Rhode Islander doing well.

Take care

 clap.gif  clap.gif  clap.gif  clap.gif  clap.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: Gary S on July 11, 2003, 11:20:51 AM
Welcome Back Mrs L. smile.gif

Just try and take your time learning the Mac. A little each day...as needed. wink.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 11, 2003, 11:37:51 AM
Bernie,
I hope you got a good night's rest.  
I sent you a long email.

God Bless,
Myrna
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 11, 2003, 11:57:30 AM
Hi kelly,

I have seen the Spencer series.  
I have BBC as one of my channels, and I get to view some of the old Crackers series.  Really good too.
There are the Midsummer Murder Mysteries on A&E and Murder She Wrote, which they do marathon of usually on holidays.
I enjoyed the Inspector Morse (also now deceased) and Inspector Allyn. series as well.  
Mike Hammer is another Detective series that is shown.
Lately though, there have been so many reruns that I can almost recite the dialogue by heart.
Happy Reading
Myrna
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 11, 2003, 12:04:45 PM
Gregg,

Thank God that his knee will be alright.  Children heal and rebound so quickly.
Glad to hear that he'll be alright, especially since you have so much to do and think about already.
Myrna
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 11, 2003, 12:10:22 PM
Well Hello Harv,

I trust you are doing well and taking good care of you.

It's great to be back at TS.  

I have been having some fun (check my post to Dick on my other topic.)

What a hoot!
God Bless,

Myrna
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 11, 2003, 12:27:32 PM
Welcome Into My Adventure
lvixen,

I don't know much about South County and Kent County Hospital.  Please email me if you have directions, I would like to go to the Support Group.

According to the doctors, I am doing well.  

I am just starting to "burn" from the Radiation and have some pain at the site.  They just don't know why I am having the strange stabbing pains in my head.  I guess it will take some time before I stop thinking that every odd or uncomfortable symptom is another Cancer in the making.  
I did meet one woman at Radiation, who complained bitterly for months about numbness, was told that it was neuropathy and after 6 months of complaining was sent for tests.  It turned out that she had a tumors growing on her spine, in her head and a few other places.  Here but for the grace of God, go I...
I think of her often during the day and how brave she is.
Well, it makes me angry too, really.  
Anyway, I will be leaving shortly for my Radiation Treatment and more measurements as they begin to get ready for my "boost" Radiation.  I will be having those the
last five treatments.
 Thanks for the invitation.
Congratulations to you also, on your upcoming !st Anniversary!
Way to go, you go girl!
Myrna
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: kelly on July 11, 2003, 12:29:13 PM
Myrna. I mean the Spenser Books. Not the TV Series. smile.gif

No comparison.

The later ones on the A&E Channel with Joe Montagna are pretty good though. smile.gif

http://www.aetv.com/scenes/vices/int_parker.html
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 11, 2003, 12:36:38 PM
Well Gary,

It seems like too long since we last communicated. I now have a larger than life lump in my left wrist just about where you would wear a watch.  Piano playing is really painful these days.  I hope to have the necessary surgery to remove this lump and another soft tissue mass in the same hand within the next few months.  
And what, my friend have you been doing lately?
Thanks for the welcome back.  I have certainly missed being "home".
Myrna
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: Dreambird on July 11, 2003, 12:45:16 PM
Thanks for the compliment Myrna... blush-anim-cl.gif I enjoy seeing you here and talking with you... smile.gif

My little Toy Manchester Terrier is named Spencer, I named him after that show, but with a "c"... his whole registered name is "Salutaire's Spencer For Hire"...  biggrin.gif
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 12, 2003, 07:32:03 AM
Hello Dreambird,

Spencer has a very long name for such a tiny dog.
When you had that lightening storm a few week back, and you were saying that your dog got into your lap because of fright, all I could picture was a huge hound, there on your lap, cutting off the circulation from your legs.  I am relieved to find out otherwise.

I liked the series and the new one was very good too.  

I never bought any of the books though.

My daughters all have dogs and love them.  I was the cat person.  I named all my cats after Detectives.  There was Clousseau, Charlie Chan, and Jane Marple.  I had Jane for over 15 years and was very attached to her.  When she died of Leukemia, I couldn't bring myself to get another cat, she had "owned" me for such a long time.

I am off to do some much needed cleaning around the house.

Back Later,
Myrna
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: Dreambird on July 12, 2003, 08:56:05 AM
G'Morning Myrna... smile.gif

*LOL** No, Spencer is small enough to be in my lap and he "knows" it... wink.gif He likes to climb up when he's scared or just feels like some attention...

He "is" on the big side for his breed though, he tips the scales at about 16lbs, when a Toy of the breed should not be more than 12lbs... so eventhough it's not uncomfortable to have him in my lap in an easy chair, you sure do notice when he takes a flying leap up there!  doh.gif

You can see him on my web page... he has his own gallery for which my sister is promising more pics she took down here in June.

http://www.pbase.com/dreambird

I leave the link in my signature now and then too as "Images From The Rim"...
Title: OT "Adventures in Radiation Treatment"
Post by: MrsLop on July 14, 2003, 06:51:59 AM
Good Morning, Dreambird,

I visited your picture gallery.  
Your best friend is so cute.  I don't know much about dogs, though I often thought that terriers had short curly hair.  My youngest daughter babysat a terrier for a while.  It drove me crazy.  Apparently, it had been a circus dog.  It used to take flying leaps and jump straight up into the air to snatch a dog bone.
It would also jump  straight up to retrieve a bone.  I was totally amazed at the heights this little dog could reach.  
You mentioned how much you hated winter.  I don't like it very much either.  I fear that my genes play more of a role in this.  Both my parents came from tropical climates. I get chilled so easily.  I love the Summer and Fall.
I really love flowers and your pictures were lovely.  I can't do any gardening, because of my need for hand surgery.
Just this morning, I dropped a half gallon of half and half on the floor, while trying to fill my coffee cup. Quite the mess I made. I have real problems that I hope to have surgery for once the Radiation Treatment is over.
Speaking of which, Hi ho, hi ho, its off to Rad I go...I am beginning to get  Radiation burns.
Catch you later,
Myrna