Techsurvivors

Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: Steve keen on July 13, 2003, 05:01:45 PM

Title: 10.2 Stalls at startup
Post by: Steve keen on July 13, 2003, 05:01:45 PM
Both my ibook and Beige G3 stall for about a minute at start up while waiting for "Networks"to load, is their a way to prevent this or is this a result of having Ethenet ticked in network preferences.

steve
Title: 10.2 Stalls at startup
Post by: Paddy on July 13, 2003, 09:02:04 PM
Steve, I don't know whether you can prevent it or not - here's some info:

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106797

I think my G4 does it too...I just figured it's looking for everything and never worried about it. Once it's started up there are no problems, and I leave my G4 on most of the time (it goes to sleep after 5 minutes, when I'm not around). I'm on cable and have small LAN set up.
Title: 10.2 Stalls at startup
Post by: Steve keen on July 14, 2003, 06:34:04 AM
Thanks Paddy,

Thats exactly the information i needed to resolve the network stall problem.
thanks again

steve
Title: 10.2 Stalls at startup
Post by: pendragon on July 16, 2003, 02:25:24 PM
Steve, I just saw this on MFI. Perhaps it will shorten the start-up times...

Try disabling unused network interfaces (in the Network System Preferences pane --> Show: Network Port Configurations, uncheck the ones you don't need) and drag the default port to the top of the list.    
 
HTH

Harv
Title: 10.2 Stalls at startup
Post by: kelly on July 16, 2003, 07:36:21 PM
Thanks for the tip Harv. smile.gif

i disabled Ethernet which I haven't needed for a while.

Saved a few seconds I think. smile.gif