Techsurvivors
Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: RHPConsult on July 16, 2003, 06:41:16 PM
-
NS 7.1, for the last couple of days, has been exhibiting a curious and unprecedented sloooowdown in the dispatch of mail after clicking on SEND.
The "blue" horizontal barber pole appears, doesn't do anything for 30-40 seconds, then the second alert - - with the percentage line - - appears and off it goes, within 3-5 seconds.
This anomaly did not occur until after I had used the new 7.1 for some days.
I thought perhaps having our 3-Mac network all up-and-running and sharing files might somehow have "required" some kind of mysterious polling, er something, before dispatch, but no. Turned file sharing off, diconnected the server, and same-o, same-o with Mail.
Have repaired Permisssions; have run DW-3. Nothing unusual installed recently. Any ideas?
Oh yes, TS is a bit slow in Navigator, Drudge a little less so. Slower than Safari, but then . . . isn't everything?
This is a Pismo 400/10.6.2/640MB/40gig
-
OK, OK, all right . . . . which one of youse guys sent the poltergeist(s) to visit upon my Pismo?
Just a few minutes ago, after several days of lethargy, the Mail began again to be dispatched in a flash. SOP!
I have noticed, with supreme interest, that the Trash also has been emptied . . . and I didn't do it. Really.
Senior Moments I know ssomething about. But, Senior Movements . . . ? I don't think so.
I'm the sole owner/operator of this here machine!
Amazing.
The trash held mostly Junk Mail, processed (disposed of) somewhat differently by NS than Mozilla. Hmmmmm.
-
It is almost as if time stands still. Everything comes to a halt. Programs are so slow.
Then I remember to wind my watch. 
Harv
-
Harv:
Go to your room!
-
Hmm, I thought it was my router I just did the "Repair Function the XP Pro has *Yes I'm using Bill'$ Software :>( Anyhoo, I tried all three Browsers NS , IE Etc. on Various machines and all are the same. Netscapes servers maybe? I tried to send someone a link to macsales by opening a Second window and waited forever. Just gave up? Hmm. It could be an AOL conspiracy
Or Harv's watch winding is taking up valuble power from the servers. Go Quartz my friend ! LOL
"Tell time like I do and stare at the sun' Now you know why I can't see LOL
-
*LMAO**
I am, upon due consideration, certain that Harv never grew up... and ain't it wonderful!! 
Who wants to grow up anyway?
-
Just a thought, and it's probably wrong....
but, here goes anyway.
When we were imprisoned
subscribed to Direcway, NS mail would do that. Reading DSL reports, found that it is a known problem with DW, their servers handled mail in such a way as to cause the slow down, or the server was overloaded, or upgrading the server or or
Maybe your ISP is going through the same thing?
Also, check your Mail & Newsgroups Account Settings>Server Settings. You may have accidentaly checked "Empty Trash on Exit" while you were troubleshooting.