Techsurvivors
Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: dakota on July 17, 2003, 12:09:07 AM
-
Finally booted up in OSX and upgraded to Jaguar. Managed Internet Explorer 5.2 but can't find Outlook Express. If I try importing from my OS9 version, 5, it brings up Classic. Is there a version for Jaguar, and where?
-
Sorry, but no OE for Jag.
-
Stuck with Netscape?????
-
I use mac mail and sometimes Entourage, I dumped NS years ago.
-
What's the best emailer for Jag?
I'm glad I found this out, I have multiple OE accounts and address, of which I've had no trouble with, so where can a guy go now?
Just another check in the reasons Not to upgrade column, unless they offer something better?
that's a
there ought to be a law
-
OE will work fine. It just runs in Classic.

The Built In e-mail for Jaguar is Mail. It's nice.
Some may have other ideas about "Best".
-
Entourage is the best OS X email program IMHO, though some make that claim for others. As I am often sending attachments to PeeCee-users, I MUST have the ability to encode them as needed, something that Mail doesn't provide. That said, I do use Mail on occasion and it works fine for most things. You can set up all your accounts in Mail (or Entourage) very easily - Entourage will even import everything for you. Mail will import your email folders, but getting your addresses imported is a little more involved. To import your email ADDRESSES to Mail use the Applescript inside the Applescript folder in the applications folder (Applications->Applescript->Example Scripts->Mail Scripts->Import Addresses) This question actually prompted me to discover this nice little script (posted on another board). I had been considering paying for a similar script from Applescript.com - one that admittedly keeps Address Book and the Entourage contacts synched, which I can't claim for the freebie script - but free is good, and if you're not switching back and forth all the time, you don't need the synching.
Entourage used to be available only as part of Office X, but it can now be purchased as a standalone program. Here's one retailer with the best price I could find on a quick look:
http://www.thenerds.net/productpage.asp?pn...=453119&d=1&s=1
Lots of people like Eudora, which is in a beta for OS X (version 6)
http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo...fo/macosx/10225
Or you can download version 5.2.1, which is available either free with ads or for $39.95 with tech support and no ads:
http://www.eudora.com/download/
If I were you, I'd give Mail a try - after all, it's free! See if it meets your needs and if not, then start exploring the paid options.
-
I can use Eudora for email - I use it most of the time anyway - but what about newsgroups? I know I can get them on Netscape, but is there any other source for them?
-
Hey dakota, I checked the Eudora site but there was no mention of NewsGroups, even in their search engine.
http://www.eudora.com/email/index.html
On the other hand Entourage has a good resource page.
http://www.entourage.mvps.org/toc.html#newsgroups
Thanks Paddy, I’m not opposed to paying for a good mail program, we depend on them for a lot. What I don’t want is limited options, or have a security issue.
I Know, iknow, MS OE has had it’s nightmare stories, but on the mac side they never effected me.
I’m going to testdrive Entourage to see if it can do the job.
Since this program is coordinated with the web page, and even more so in the upgrade, I’ll have to see if Earthlink includes it in the rules package for mac.
-
Yes, I know Eudora does not have newsgroups. I've been using it foryears, and it's stil my favorite. Just need a newsgroup source.
-
Outlook Express will run in Classic and do Newsgroups.

Is this a problem?
-
No, not a problem. If it works that way, fine. BTW, Eudora 5.2 works with Jaguar - you don't need upcoming version 6.