Techsurvivors
Archives => 2003 => Topic started by: whisper on July 24, 2003, 10:17:35 PM
-
I just installed the 7/14/03 security update I downloaded from Apple to OS10.2.6 then repaired permissions and everytime I restart I loose the settings for my desktop ie: icon size and placing and my dock prefs. Sure am missing Desktop Resetter right about now as I'm one of those who have a cluttered (but organized) desktop. Also I've had to reenter serial numbers for a few applications and Photoshop quits upon launch with some unknown error. Wish I could uninstall this update. Any suggestions? In the classic days I'd throw out some preferences and rebuild the desktop etc and all would be well. Thanks for any help!
-
What kind of a machine are you running, Whisper? I installed it 4 days ago, and haven't run into any complications. . .It really is weird how some of the updates affect different machines!
-
It's a G4 800MHz single processor with 768MB of ram. I've run fsck-y a few times and repaired permissions twice more and at least Photoshop works now but the desktop and dock are still misbehaving sometimes on restart and now Netscape 7.02 launches but nothing at all shows up on the desktop yet 7.1 works just fine as does Camino Safari, Omniweb, Mozilla and Opera but IE's preferences were back to default, go figure

Also should note that when I first restarted after the update and permission repair the dock only contained the generic set, had to rebuild it to it's previous state and that seems to stick.
-
Been a few problems reported here. About half way down.

http://www.macintouch.com/mosxreader10.2pt71.html
Might try here also.
http://discussions.info.apple.com/WebX?13@...KdPO.0@.ef998ef
-
Thanks guys. It seems that repairing permissions before and after any update or install isn't a bad idea. Everything seems stable again except Netscape 7.02 which just will not work, and it's living in the trash for a day or three before I delete it.
-
Install Netscape 7.1.
7.02 is for 9.x.
jb
-
jb, had them both (both for OSX), both worked fine until the update. Only had 7.1 for a week or three, didn't want to trash the older until I was sure the bugs were out of the newest version. Also I love Netscape and collect them, 3.0 gold being one of my favs, I still surf with it on my iMac running 8.51 some times just for fun as well as some older versions just for nostalgia's sake
-
somehow I feel a bit apprehensive about installing security updates......must I ?
George.
-
Probably not George.

Some seem to be more for an Enterprise or Business network.
Don't lose any sleep over it, either way. 
For any Update you don't want.
Select it. Choose "Make Inactive" from the Menu.
And forget about it.
-
Thanks Kelly,
now whenever I see, hear the word security I mentally put TS in brackets after it.
George.