Techsurvivors

Welcome to Techsurvivors => Tech => Topic started by: jchuzi on October 08, 2019, 07:07:06 AM

Title: Catalina now available
Post by: jchuzi on October 08, 2019, 07:07:06 AM
For those brave souls who want to upgrade to the first iteration of Catalina macOS 10.15, read   Review: macOS Catalina 10.15 is what Apple promised the Mac could be, and is a crucial upgrade (https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/07/review-macos-catalina-1015-is-what-apple-promised-the-mac-could-be-and-is-a-crucial-upgrade).

Personally, I never upgrade to the first version but this time, I also need to figure out how to replace Entourage 2008, which won't work in Catalina (it's a 32-bit app). I have some ideas, but the main problem is that Entourage accesses my ISP (Spectrum) via a POP account and, when I set up Outlook 365, it became an IMAP account, which I don't want. I'll contact Spectrum for their advice. Then, I have to have a way to preserve wanted emails from Entourage. At any rate, I'm not yet ready to take the plunge. 
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Xairbusdriver on October 08, 2019, 02:13:22 PM
"Entourage"
That's what you get for using apps from the Dark Side! :p

But I won't be updating any time soon, either. :nono: I've done enough ßeta testing in my earlier computer use. :notworthy:
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: sluggo on October 09, 2019, 06:54:00 AM
I think I'll wait a few days or maybe a week. I'll keep checking in here to see if anyone's having any major issues before I proceed.
But then again I may get sick of seeing that little red "1" on the System Preferences icon in Dock!
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Xairbusdriver on October 09, 2019, 09:02:37 AM
Quote
I may get sick of seeing that little red "1" on the System Preferences icon in Dock!
A small piece of duct tape will prevent seeing that... :scram:
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Paddy on October 09, 2019, 07:24:32 PM
Jon, out of curiosity, why would you not want IMAP? Do you only access email with one device? I guess I'm so far past using POP, with two Macs, an iPad and an iPhone that it seems crazy to even consider POP. But...different strokes and all that.

Outlook, as part of Microsoft365, certainly should handle being set up for POP - there are plenty of instructions online and Spectrum has their settings posted here: https://www.realifewebdesigns.com/web-resources/pop3-smtp-news-servers/spectrum.asp

Is there a reason you don't want to use Mail? I switched from Entourage to Mail about 10 years ago - Entourage had more issues than Mail ever has (for me, at least). Importing everything into Mail is easy-peasy, because they both use MBOX. Outlook doesn't - so the alternatives seem to be doing things like importing into Outlook for Mac 2011 or using a purchased converter, most of which seem to be in the neighbourhood of $49.

Or...just use Mail. Or Thunderbird.
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: sluggo on October 10, 2019, 04:43:24 AM

Is there a reason you don't want to use Mail? I switched from Entourage to Mail about 10 years ago - Entourage had more issues than Mail ever has (for me, at least). Importing everything into Mail is easy-peasy, because they both use MBOX. Outlook doesn't - so the alternatives seem to be doing things like importing into Outlook for Mac 2011 or using a purchased converter, most of which seem to be in the neighbourhood of $49.

Or...just use Mail. Or Thunderbird.

I recently went back to Mail after a year or more with Airmail 3. Airmail would just crash out of nowhere almost daily for no apparent reason. It had a lot of good reviews but it just never caught on for me no matter how many updates or how long I stuck with it.
Looking back, the only positive it had over Mail was to easily mark senders as spam or junk with a pulldown menu and have the setting stick. Is there a way to do this in Mail that I'm overlooking? Sure I can click the junk folder on an email and it goes away, but the sender can keep sending and it shows up in the Inbox. Doesn't seem practical to create a rule for every sender.
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: jchuzi on October 10, 2019, 05:51:19 AM
Jon, out of curiosity, why would you not want IMAP? Do you only access email with one device? I guess I'm so far past using POP, with two Macs, an iPad and an iPhone that it seems crazy to even consider POP. But...different strokes and all that.

Outlook, as part of Microsoft365, certainly should handle being set up for POP - there are plenty of instructions online and Spectrum has their settings posted here: https://www.realifewebdesigns.com/web-resources/pop3-smtp-news-servers/spectrum.asp

Is there a reason you don't want to use Mail? I switched from Entourage to Mail about 10 years ago - Entourage had more issues than Mail ever has (for me, at least). Importing everything into Mail is easy-peasy, because they both use MBOX. Outlook doesn't - so the alternatives seem to be doing things like importing into Outlook for Mac 2011 or using a purchased converter, most of which seem to be in the neighbourhood of $49.

Or...just use Mail. Or Thunderbird.
I use only one device and don't intend to get any others. I don't want any of my files stored anywhere except on my computer, and, AFAIK, Spectrum limits the amount of storage so that I could conceivably lose emails or cause Spectrum's server to choke. Both my wife and I are used to Entourage and like its interface; not so much with Mail (which I have tried but she has not). Outlook has a similar interface to Entourage. Outlook 2011 for Mac will not work in Catalina. I tried Thunderbird but prefer Entourage/Outlook.

Importing into Mail from Entourage 2008 is not that easy (it does not use MBOX format), nor is it easy to do it to Outlook, but I have figured out a way that works but is tedious.

Perhaps the most important reason is that my better half is averse to learning new ways of using the computer interface and I have learned, over 51 years of wedded bliss, not to argue!  :wallbash:

Many thanks for that link!
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Paddy on October 10, 2019, 03:02:04 PM
Even if you're not going to move to Mail, Jon, someone else may want to - so there are various ways to do it. One is to drag folders out of Entourage to the desktop - whereupon they become MBOX files. Not a great solution if you have a lot of subfolders as they all have to come one by one.

Or, there is a script: http://www.office.mvps.org/database/export_mbox.html

I don't recall having any difficulty doing it. ;)
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: jchuzi on October 10, 2019, 06:04:00 PM
Thanks, I didn't know that. I had tried dragging individual emails to the desktop but they became .eml files. I tried dragging an entire folder and you were right; it became an MBOX folder. Maybe I'll try Mail again sometime.

Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: beacher on October 12, 2019, 11:29:10 AM
I've been reading that there are all sorts of problems arising for people who have already updated to Catalina.  The Mac Observer mentioned that one of their techs came out the other day saying that the idea generators (my phrasing) up-ladder aren’t the least bit interested in hearing from the programmers/engineers why some of their ideas are flawed.  Of course, it's possible that it was just a disgruntled employee, but he was talking about how they seem to be eliminating the connection ports (is that the right term?) for peripherals, so that they can extract a few more $ for dongles that don't work all that well; as if we’re not already paying enough for our beloved hardware!  I guess that I've hit the end of OS updates for me, and that somewhere in the future there’s a new MB Pro waiting for me, but only after they take care of the problematic keyboards, and return to a philosophy of giving us value for our money!  :verysad:
Title: Just testing. . .
Post by: beacher on October 12, 2019, 11:34:34 AM
Just testing to see if I use Firefox to post, it gets rid of the “Yahoo Instant Messenger” thingy that blocks part of my posts!

But I see that it doesn’t; anybody have a suggestion as to how I can do it?

 :thanx: in advance!
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Xairbusdriver on October 12, 2019, 01:23:16 PM
Do you have a less technical description or maybe a screen shot of the "“Yahoo Instant Messenger” thingy"?

Have you tried:
  Safari Prefs->Security: deleting or blocking all cookies?
      "        "    ->Privacy: DISabling javascript?

  Similar settings in Firefox Prefs->Privacy & Security->Content Blocking
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: jchuzi on October 12, 2019, 07:10:19 PM
Early adopters beware:   Missing message issues plague Mail users in macOS Catalina (https://appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/12/missing-message-issues-plague-mail-users-in-macos-catalina) 
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Xairbusdriver on October 12, 2019, 07:46:45 PM
Maybe the fix will be in 15.1 :coolio: :eek:
https://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/11/apple-releases-first-developer-beta-of-macos-10151 (https://iphone.appleinsider.com/articles/19/10/11/apple-releases-first-developer-beta-of-macos-10151)
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Xairbusdriver on October 21, 2019, 09:06:48 PM
CATALINA MACOS 10.15 Supplemental Update mainly addresses a few bugs. It's available through Software Update if you've installed the new OS. TidBITS continues their recommendation to hold off upgrading for now.
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: jchuzi on November 13, 2019, 02:00:38 PM
I found a really simple way of transferring emails from Entourage 2008 to Outlook 365. Simply drag an email to the desktop. It appears as a .eml file. Then, open it in Outlook (which happens to be the default application. After I persuade my better half to cull her unwanted emails and I can transfer them to her account in Outlook, I'll consider upgrading to Catalina.
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: chriskleeman on November 20, 2019, 10:00:13 AM
I'm so far behind in my OS  :whistling: still using Sierra... but in order to run TurboTax this year, I will have to upgrade to at least High Sierra, but am thinking I'll upgrade to Mojave. From the comments here I think I'll wait on Catalina.

Thanks!

Chris  :notworthy:
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: chriskleeman on November 20, 2019, 10:48:37 AM
Well a moot point. This iMac is too old to run either Mojave or Catalina.  :Thinking:
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Xairbusdriver on November 20, 2019, 11:24:32 AM
You should be able to still get HS from the App Store. There is a link on this page (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208969[/url) that should work. See step 4, I'm on my old iPad right now and Apple won't let me try a download of HS on it! :laughhard:

Good luck and make sure you have good, bootable backups before the upgrade! :Thinking: :yes:
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: chriskleeman on November 20, 2019, 11:44:07 AM
Already downloading HS as I write this, backed up and ready to install when the download finishes, yessiree bob, I mean, XABD...  :)
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Xairbusdriver on November 20, 2019, 05:36:08 PM
Just don't call me "Shirley"! :p :laughhard:   
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: jchuzi on December 11, 2019, 09:03:13 AM
I upgraded to Catalina 10.15.2 today. System Preferences has a different appearance as does Mail. Mostly, it was smooth. The process took quite a bit of time because I updated my three clones before installing Catalina. That took about 25 minutes and the installation, including downloading, took about 40 minutes.

I went through my Applications folder and deleted all apps that had an X through them, meaning that they were incompatible (I knew about most of them before because they were 32-bit). I then updated OnyX, Cocktail, Tinker Tool System, Adobe Flash Player (no snide remarks, please!) and Ejector.

So far, so good.
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Xairbusdriver on December 11, 2019, 09:44:10 AM
Quote
So far, so good.
Historical words so often heard. :cheer2: :pc: :fool:

I nominate jon as the TS Catalina macOS 10.15 expert! :thumbup:
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: jchuzi on December 11, 2019, 09:55:27 AM
If nominated, I will not run. If elected, I will not serve.  :nono:
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Xairbusdriver on February 04, 2021, 10:55:33 AM
Finally updated my Wife's MBP yesterday. the mini is in the process as I type. The hard part was finding the download. I finally found a link at Mr. Macintosh (https://mrmacintosh.com/macos-catalina-10-15-0-19a583-released/): (along with links to older versions of the macOS) https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314 (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/macos-catalina/id1466841314)
That actually opens the Mac App Store (US version) where the OS still exists. I suspect these links will all eventually expire/disappear as Apple keeps the annual "progress" attitude. :wallbash:
Title: Re: Catalina now available
Post by: Xairbusdriver on February 16, 2021, 01:52:03 PM
My iMac and my wife's MBP upgrades to Catalina went smoothly. The mini greeted me with a "update failed" message. Then I noticed that the Software Update Pref claimed that 'updates were being maintained off-site'. Never found a workable solution to that and decided to press ahead with getting the OS upgrade completed first.

Tried running the upgrade again and was greeted by the installer showing all drives with the triangular ⚠︎ warning. :wacko: I decided the boot drive, at least parts of the OS, might be corrupted, even though it seemed to boot and apps ran fine. Downloaded another copy of the Catalina installer and it succeeded. Followed that with the Security Update and things are back to normal.

In fact, it's possible I may have accidentally run the Catalina Security updater before the actual OS upgrade! I wouldn't think that would be possible. OTOH, if the Big Sur macOS 11  installer didn't check that enough space would be available, the Catalina macOS 10.15 Security Updater might not have even checked what the OS is! :wallbash: